SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well acording to Midas the farting noise my car is making is from the flex pipe area. They want $320 to fix this problem!!! I'm thinking that I could buy headers for not to much more and install myself? How hard would that be (in my driveway) And what brand do you recomend (and where to buy cheap!)

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Hotshot header, i found it to be the best, as for install its not that hard just plan on it taking you "awhile".

------------------
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen3 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i agree, HS all the way. if you can get an impact gun, do it. otherwise buy a butt-ton of liquid wrench and have at it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I stuck with good ol' Pacesetter and you basically need a 14mm deep socket and 17mm deep socket. I also used a breaker bar and a universal joint. Its real easy if everything goes as planned. My catalytic converter bolts did not want to come off so I did the next best thing. I cut it off and put in 2.25 galvinized pipe in its place.

Oh yeah, if you use anti-seize stuff on your bolts prepare to see ALOT ALOT ALOT of smoke as it burns off! I was like WTF! Shes gonna blow!! I mean it looked like I was steaming lobsters in my engine. NO JOKE!!
Good luck!!

·
rally wanksta
250 Posts
Just got done with the HotShot install. It does take a while. A friend and I did it in the driveway. The rusted ass bolts on the cat were the worst part. We heated them up a few times and then used some good ole' foot power to break them loose. The fitting for the EGR tube is a big honkin' 24 mm, so I had to buy a wrench. Be sure to have plenty of anti-seize and Liquid Wrench on hand. Very worthwhile mod.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kafn8ed:
Has anybody tried the AEBS headers?</font>
The install is a bit more involved than the Hotshot. So someone looking to do the average driveway install I would get the Hotshot. I love the header and recommend it all the time to people. I don't think it is any harder to install just takes longer as more things have to be removed extending the install time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SmoothDaddyFig:

Oh yeah, if you use anti-seize stuff on your bolts prepare to see ALOT ALOT ALOT of smoke as it burns off! I was like WTF! Shes gonna blow!! I mean it looked like I was steaming lobsters in my engine. NO JOKE!!
Good luck!!
</font>
LMAO!! RED, even though you lick, er , i mean LIKE Noles, you're hilarious! Steamin' lobsters, oh my god that's funny!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stiletto:
LMAO!! RED, even though you lick, er , i mean LIKE Noles, you're hilarious! Steamin' lobsters, oh my god that's funny!
</font>
thanks Stiletto!

Bro , I had to pull over TWICE to make sure everything was alright. I swear I had all kinds of smoke coming out the cracks of the hood!! It was MAD CRAZY!! It was embarrasing.
NO lobsters though!

------------------

http://94_redse-r.tripod.com/FASTSER/

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 96 all motor SeR:
Hotshot header, i found it to be the best, as for install its not that hard just plan on it taking you "awhile".

</font>

Holy monkey **** batman. How do you guys come to your conclusions? Do you draw straws or just go by hearsay?

The Hotshot is a great header but it depends on what you plan on doing for mods too.

In the SCC header shootout the AEBS made the most overall power, and further more a LOT more torque. (Well for a 4 banger anyway)

If you plan on going nitrous the larger primaries of the AEBS makes a huge diff. I went [email protected] with a 50shot using the AEBS.

No mid pipe gasket to worry about either. Just one solid well built unit.

The AEBS is harder to install but it's not THAT bad...jeez. Bunch a babies.

Both are great but those are the facts as tested on a dyno and/or real world.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:

Holy monkey **** batman. How do you guys come to your conclusions? Do you draw straws or just go by hearsay?

The Hotshot is a great header but it depends on what you plan on doing for mods too.

In the SCC header shootout the AEBS made the most overall power, and further more a LOT more torque. (Well for a 4 banger anyway)

If you plan on going nitrous the larger primaries of the AEBS makes a huge diff. I went [email protected] with a 50shot using the AEBS.

No mid pipe gasket to worry about either. Just one solid well built unit.

The AEBS is harder to install but it's not THAT bad...jeez. Bunch a babies.

Both are great but those are the facts as tested on a dyno and/or real world.
</font>
Jay, I'm sure you've heard about the rumors that AEBS convinced SCC to throw out Hotshots best dyno run for their header shoot-out? Do you know any of that? I love my Hotshot, my friend Ryan has a AEBS and it's already dented because of how it hangs lower. When we had the same exact mods - I had HS header, HS CAI, JWT s4 cams and he had the AEBS header, PR CAI, JWT s4 cams, theres was NO difference between our cars at all, and we raced like 20 times

Also, we both pulled almost identical 1/4 times at the track, I pulled a 15.1 @ 90 he pulled a 15.0 @ 90, which I attribute to his 2.2 60' because of his better launch with LSD.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Now here's a good question for all you AEBS header owners. Any of you guys have ST sway bars, and if so, is it hitting the collector? I remember someone on the SoCal SE-R list had trouble with that sometime last year. Also, it doesn't seem that you would be able to fit a N-TEC(NuTech) lower control arm bar with the AEBS header since the collector sits lower than the crossmember (another bad thing for lowered cars).

I'm not trying to knock the AEBS header, as I think it's a quality piece. Not only well-built, but also dyno-proven power gains. Though, the beef I have with that header is all I've stated above.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
Now here's a good question for all you AEBS header owners. Any of you guys have ST sway bars, and if so, is it hitting the collector? I remember someone on the SoCal SE-R list had trouble with that sometime last year. Also, it doesn't seem that you would be able to fit a N-TEC(NuTech) lower control arm bar with the AEBS header since the collector sits lower than the crossmember (another bad thing for lowered cars).
</font>
I don't have the sways but when I do I only plan on installing a rear bar anyways. The lower brace will not fit. the header is completely in the way.
I went with the AEBS because I felt that the bigger primarys would help breathing when I finally got big cams.

[This message has been edited by Soupaflie (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000: Jay, I'm sure you've heard about the rumors that AEBS convinced SCC to throw out Hotshots best dyno run for their header shoot-out? Do you know any of that?</font>
I was on the phone with Chris Pinthong talking about that very thing. (It was his NX that was tested). I had the second header ever made by them.

I was told that the Hotshot header was given multiple runs because Dave Coleman kept coming up with excuses when the Hotshot was outdone. This came from the guy who's car was on the dyno. I never heard anything about a dyno chart being tossed. Rumours suck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, we both pulled almost identical 1/4 times at the track, I pulled a 15.1 @ 90 he pulled a 15.0 @ 90, which I attribute to his 2.2 60' because of his better launch with LSD. </font>
That's not very scientific. We are not talking about 40hp. Read my post again, the AEBS makes more torque and does support nitrous users much better with the large primaries and collector size.

------------------
Jay Hassinger
B14 Turbo 409whp (Sold)
91 TSi 11.80's for under 5 grand including the car.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
To Storm: Hey bro your butt dyno doesnt hold water, and your friend may not be a good driver, Dont base your facts on anything like rumors or by inconsitant results.

To Jay:
Hey Jay, lets talk about your 4g63, whats done to it? Tips and advice would be good If I could talk with you privately that would also work. Im curious what the east coasters are doing with there DSMs? Speaking of which Jay I remember a while back you called my friends 1st gen a Saturn? Why get a DSM is another question

------------------

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/yellow4g63/sr20det.htm

" TARGET=_blank>http://geocities.com/yellow4g63/sr20det.htm

</A>
Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Speedpro coming soon bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. Equal length stainless steel manifold. Fortified Tranny. DAMN VILLIANS.

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20:
To Jay:
Hey Jay, lets talk about your 4g63, whats done to it? Tips and advice would be good If I could talk with you privately that would also work. Im curious what the east coasters are doing with there DSMs? Speaking of which Jay I remember a while back you called my friends 1st gen a Saturn? Why get a DSM is another question

</font>
LOL I was kidding with him because in the pic it looked like a Saturn.

Id be happy to talk with you...shoot me a message. [email protected] The DSM is my ghetto mod whore so I don't know if the mods are repeatable that easy.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20:
To Storm: Hey bro your butt dyno doesnt hold water, and your friend may not be a good driver, Dont base your facts on anything like rumors or by inconsitant results.
</font>

Chill out man, I just chimed in my opinion, big ****ing deal, right?

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Jay's DSM is stock, unless you count the parts all over the garage mod.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
Jay's DSM is stock, unless you count the parts all over the garage mod.

</font>
Hey I bet I can have it back together by tonight to whip your ass with.
j/k

1 - 20 of 48 Posts