SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea how I could drain the transmission oil from my car without using the drain plug? It is stripped beyond hope.

Could I just loosen the bolts of the casing and let it seep out? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
try using one of the sensors or pull the axle on the drivers side.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doug H:
Does anyone have an idea how I could drain the transmission oil from my car without using the drain plug? It is stripped beyond hope.

Could I just loosen the bolts of the casing and let it seep out? Any ideas?
</font>
Shoot a bullet thru it. Then use some JB Weld to cover it up. I don't know?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I" wouldn't crack the transmission open like an egg and let it seap out. hmmmm....
Thats alot of **** to try and siphon out. And its heavy, unlike water. And its in an uneven place full of gears and crap.
Maybe you can tap a hole in it and plug it back up. GOOD LUCK!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried siphoning but there was too much stuff in there to get the tube to the bottom.

Sakerocket1, What are the "sensors" you are referring to?

I think I might see if the muffler shop I am bringing my car to next week will welt a bolt into the plug, hopefully making it usable.

·
Registered
858 Posts
a boy of mine used to use a pump to suck it all out like a siphon . much quicker than draining. but he owned a shop and time is $$$$$$.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Liqiud wrench and vice grips on the stripped bolt. Or you could tap the bolt with a crossthreader run the stripped bolt out, drain the fluid. Just make sure you buy a new bolt.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is a reverse switch and neutral switch in the transmission. One of them is lower than the other. When I changed my fluid, I used one of the switches (Don't remember which one) to drain it. The seals on the switches are known to get old and leak, so you might want to replace those while you're replacing your fluid anyway. I believe they cost about $10 or $15 each.

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's been a while since I looked at the transmission, but I believe one is on the passenger's side of the transmission and the other is on the driver's side. They look like sensors in that they both have a wire attached to them. You should be able to find them pretty easily. There used to be some info on se-r.net, but it doesn't appear to be there anymore. Maybe Ben D. can help out seeing as he has his whole transmission apart.

Also, make sure you can loosen the fill plug before you drain anything.

Ben
'93 NX2K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts