SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EVO-lishus
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you Turbo Gurus out there. Just wondering where is the Best place to mount/ install the bung for the EGT Probe? Exactly where on the manifold, downpipe or wherever do you guys put it?? Ive heard some turbo guys installing even 2 probes, why is that??
And as far as the Airfuel meter. Do you guys install it directly from the ECU wiring harness? Ive heard that it can acutally send bad signals to the ECU. Im kinda skeptical about this when im gonna be boostin high and not getting the proper fuel to the mixture..Is it even worth connecting the AF meter????

Thank in advance..

F.Dela Cruz

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
From RRE

"Why do I need an Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge?
A leaner mixture will give you more power by making more heat. Too much heat, and things start to melt. You need to find out what's going on inside the motor before it's too late. Your car will never feel so fast as when the pistons are just beginning to melt. Most people who install an EGT are amazed at how close to the edge they are running. This is a must if you are going to experiment. We install the temperature probe in the exhaust manifold to get the most accurate reading. We prefer to mount the probe in the runner for cylinder number one since it seems to run the hottest. The probe can be installed without removing the manifold by drilling the hole with the engine idling. This blows out the chips. You will need a 1/8" NPT tap, if you dont have access to one, we have them for $10"

Hope that helps you out

·
EVO-lishus
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the 411 bout the EGT stuff...One last concern. Is it possible for the probe to break/melt and have a piece of it enter the turbo/engine..Has anybody ever had this happen to them??

thanks in advance...
F.dela cruz

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
I have heard people running their exhaust gases up to 1600 degrees...I forget if its Fahrenheit or Celsius... Isn't that the point where pistons begin to melt. I mean, has anyone with a turboed sr20 ever melt their pistons. It seems that it is real easy to get the exhaust gas temperature high. I am surprised that I haven't heard anyone melting pistons. How high would you really have to be temperature wise to start being real concerned???

-saaby

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts