SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I said... the best racing I saw was between AndyR(yellow Classic) and Russel(red 200?) from Orlando... both guys are from Florida. Andy had the fastest lap time and I believe Russel had the 3rd fastest, just behind Kojima. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For one of their last sessions, they played tag back and forth... with extremely clean and quite driving from both of them, no squealing tires and no offs. It was really enthralling to watch two guys showing each other what they did best.

I have to apologize to Russ for misintrepretting some of the racing. I had originally thought that Andy blew by him because Russ had waved him by on the last back stretch on the track. Andy later straightened me out by telling me that they were both trailing each other at different times to watch how each took the corners... great way to learn.

Huge props to Russ, guys. He didn't have a turbo, just add ons. This showed me what a good driver can do and that having the most power isn't everything.

And, Andy... gentlemen, he's as calm in person as he is on the track. I'd really like to watch him run some more, be worth the trip further south.

Later,
Mark(jmo, and of course, not verified for facts)
 

·
SE-R when I GROW UP GT-R
Joined
·
35 Posts
lap times

by my stop watch

Andy was turning 1:13's, Russel was 1:15" and Mike was way faster unless i timed the wrong classic which was :59???

Russel 200 was on Bridgstone Pot street tire so he was very inpressive!

Correct me if im wrong all in all some awsome sportmanship all weekend long!!!!!!!!!!!



vladha said:
What I said... the best racing I saw was between AndyR(yellow Classic) and Russel(red 200?) from Orlando... both guys are from Florida. Andy had the fastest lap time and I believe Russel had the 3rd fastest, just behind Kojima. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For one of their last sessions, they played tag back and forth... with extremely clean and quite driving from both of them, no squealing tires and no offs. It was really enthralling to watch two guys showing each other what they did best.

I have to apologize to Russ for misintrepretting some of the racing. I had originally thought that Andy blew by him because Russ had waved him by on the last back stretch on the track. Andy later straightened me out by telling me that they were both trailing each other at different times to watch how each took the corners... great way to learn.

Huge props to Russ, guys. He didn't have a turbo, just add ons. This showed me what a good driver can do and that having the most power isn't everything.

And, Andy... gentlemen, he's as calm in person as he is on the track. I'd really like to watch him run some more, be worth the trip further south.

Later,
Mark(jmo, and of course, not verified for facts)
 

·
G-unit
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
LowCloud said:
by my stop watch
Mike was way faster unless i timed the wrong classic which was :59???
QUOTE]

Classic? I thought he was in the rental...............damn :59 in a Grand am that's just sick. You guys should be ashamed!!!!!!! ;) J/K. BTW I got a ride along in Russell car, all I can say is, WOW. I was a little scared and alot inspired, I realize how much I have to learn about driving fast. Thanks once again Russell!!!!!!!!.

Travis E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Anybody get any lap times on my car? Just curious. I know I've pulled 1:17's in a stock B14 with Kumho 712's, so I KNOW I was quicker than that, but not sure by how much.

My last session out there, Rus seemed to be pulling just a couple feet every lap, but we were virtually in the same points lap after lap. I thought Andy was going much faster though...he seemed to pull up on me like I wasn't moving. Maybe I was wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
There was no official time keeping. So we will have to put the time part of it in the trash bin. I am by no means the best driver. I do consider myself better than average with my SCCA peers. One thing I have learned over the years is consistency. LowCloud said I was doing consistent 1:13's. If Mike did a .59 sec. lap and some one was checking lap times there would have been a few laps working up to such a time. A 1:10, 1:05, 1:02 and so on. No disrespect to Mike's ability as a driver. I am sure he would agree.

The performance of my car right now is at it's best. I could put the car anywhere I wanted to. Still there were a few tenths that could have been dropped. I tried not to bully my way past anyone, I waited for a pass signal from the driver before I did pass. Everyone did a great job this weekend and I am glad that I attended the convention.


Andy R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Andy, as soon as you got up behind me I let you pass at the first straight, because I had noticed that the last few laps you were consistantly getting closer and closer to me. So rather than have you sit behind me for half a lap, I just let you pass as soon as you got behind me. You were driving excellent!

I've got to say that I think everyone in the advanced group was very well matched though. I thought there was very little passing, which was nice to see, because it means that everyone pretty much was running similar times. We were all equally spaced at and could enjoy the whole session with little to no traffic.

One thing that was interesting, was that there was no "best" line on the track. Every car had it's own best line. I believe it was Joe that said that him and Mike were behind me and followed me into a corner thinking how different the line that I took was than his, but we came out of the corners the same distance apart as we went in. That seemed to be the case a lot of times.

Anyway, I had a blast. I got to scare people in my car riding with me, as well as abuse Jon Abott's turbo B12. It couldn't have been more fun.
 

·
70/30 Racing
Joined
·
11,371 Posts
oh, that was you in the yellow classic eh andy?

apparently, you didnt pay any attention at the driver's meeting. thanks for almost killing me and cutting that session short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
oh, that was you in the yellow classic eh andy?

apparently, you didnt pay any attention at the driver's meeting. thanks for almost killing me and cutting that session short.

I do not understand. When, where what happened?
 

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve, when did this happen? I don't remember seeing or hearing anything from any of the other drivers.

Does anyone else know anything about this? First negative thing I've heard about the convention... explanation, please.

Later,
Mark
 

·
SE-R RACER
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
oh, that was you in the yellow classic eh andy?

apparently, you didnt pay any attention at the driver's meeting. thanks for almost killing me and cutting that session short.
I would like to know when that happened also. I don't recall any advanced session being ended early. Rentals don't count anyway. :)
 

·
SE-R RACER
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
ezcheese15 said:
One thing that was interesting, was that there was no "best" line on the track. Every car had it's own best line. I believe it was Joe that said that him and Mike were behind me and followed me into a corner thinking how different the line that I took was than his, but we came out of the corners the same distance apart as we went in. That seemed to be the case a lot of times.

.
It was me. You were also lifting your rear wheel about a foot off the ground.
 

·
merely a flesh wound
Joined
·
15,285 Posts
dominojd said:
It was me. You were also lifting your rear wheel about a foot off the ground.
Yes he was, and it was very cool. :)

C
 

·
Ironman
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Andy R. said:
There was no official time keeping. So we will have to put the time part of it in the trash bin. I am by no means the best driver. I do consider myself better than average with my SCCA peers. One thing I have learned over the years is consistency. LowCloud said I was doing consistent 1:13's. If Mike did a .59 sec. lap and some one was checking lap times there would have been a few laps working up to such a time. A 1:10, 1:05, 1:02 and so on. No disrespect to Mike's ability as a driver. I am sure he would agree.
Furthermore, Mike would have lapped Andy every 5 laps. Doesn't sound right.
 

·
.....
Joined
·
8,886 Posts
I thought I caused the 2nd advanced session to be postponed for a while when they cleaned up my dirt from the track. I didn't run the final session so I don't know about that one. Other then watching a rental being driven very hard I didn't see anything unussual in the advanced group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
98sr20ve said:
I thought I caused the 2nd advanced session to be postponed for a while when they cleaned up my dirt from the track. I didn't run the final session so I don't know about that one. Other then watching a rental being driven very hard I didn't see anything unussual in the advanced group.
We were only off the track for about 2 mins. And I think they just stopped the time when they had us exit the track. That session didn't seem any shorter than the rest. The last session seemed short, but then again, me and Ray were late because we went to go get gas.
 

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anybody shed any light on this at all? I started this thread to show appreciation to 2 guys who looked like they were having fun, pushed each other a bit, learned from each other a bit and showed respect for each other. I don't know for certain why this particular session made such an impression on me... it just did, and I admired the skill of both drivers. I'm glad I had the chance to see them.

And, "Dr. Dirt"(Steve), I think the dust is still probably falling down;). "Well, first I was pointing this way, then I was pointing thataway". I think Josh should go halfies with cleaning the passenger seat.

3 wheels, eh? Somebody take a video camera in the car next time. I don't know whether to think that's way cool or way scarey... one foot from the ground?

Later,
Mark
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Top