SR20 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
To my knowlege there were only four "agricultural" events, one by Ron Jeremy in the Spec Rental car, one by Tim R (WAAAAY out in the back 40) and Mr. Foltz with two excursion in the same place.

I did see one event which could be considered a bad move. Coming into turn one, the black Classic with orange tape over the headlights appeared to attempt an inside pass on a white Classic. This could be an illusion due to viewing angle but it sure looked iffy. I have no idea who was driving.

The #06 ITS Classic was a blast. I absolutely LOVED turn four. I also liked the entry into turns one and three. Too bad we lost a half-shaft boot and started getting vibration. Mike was really itching to drive it. Little Talladega was a nice track for us, short but technical.

By the way, we were NOT racing. Passing was limited to two or three places (depending upon skill level) and no times were taken by officials. Yes, quite a few guys were driving hard but everyone respected the passing rules and made this a fun driving event.

·
8,886 Posts
Slartibartfast said:
and Mr. Foltz with two excursion in the same place.
Just for the record the second off was driven in a very controlled manner. I chose to go straight off rather then risk not making that corner again and possibly flat spot my last 4 tires. I may have been able to make the turn but I wasn't sure so I took the safest choice which was to keep braking in a straight line and go straight off at what I knew would be a relatively low speed. My car seemed to want to lock the brakes up at about the 3 lap. I need to figure out these new pads. The first off was really bad and a huge mistake. I feel badly about both.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
I'm not trying to imply anything here, Steve. Heck, if you don't make mistakes, you're not trying hard enough.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Slartibartfast said:
I did see one event which could be considered a bad move. Coming into turn one, the black Classic with orange tape over the headlights appeared to attempt an inside pass on a white Classic. This could be an illusion due to viewing angle but it sure looked iffy. I have no idea who was driving.
Whew! I'm glad you weren't referring to THIS, Bruce:

That was my one boneheaded move of the day, making the pass that late on the front straight. I apologized profusely to David Evans for that one. Black Classic, white NX....who knows....

·
8,886 Posts
Slartibartfast said:
I'm not trying to imply anything here, Steve. Heck, if you don't make mistakes, you're not trying hard enough.
True, Not trying to be overly sensitive on this side either. Some people thought I spun twice. I am just trying to point out that driving off in a straight line is sometimes a wise choice rather then taking a corner you are not sure you can make due to brake issue. It's all good to me. I had fun and brought the car home. Same can not be said for the tires which are toast after spinning it at the end of the front straight. That was not fun.

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
98sr20ve said:
I may have been able to make the turn but I wasn't sure so I took the safest choice which was to keep braking in a straight line and go straight off at what I knew would be a relatively low speed.
I can agree w/ that, I think I was the first person to put all 4 off course. Same place even.

John

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Anyone get a lap time for me or any video? I was hoping someone managed to get some footage of me when I got sideways :)

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
I am anxiously awaiting video as well. Doesn't have to be my car, I just want video! For those smart enough to bring camcorders, thanks! I cured that problem today and bought a new sony digital that can take up to 200 photos and 90 mins. of video, I'm ready for SoCal baby.

John

·
70/30 Racing
11,371 Posts
dominojd said:
I would like to know when that happened also. I don't recall any advanced session being ended early. Rentals don't count anyway. :)
you passed us in the middle of the turn that leads onto the back straight. that was not cool, but hey, wouldnt have mattered much, that would have been your car you wadded up, i had the damage waiver :D just, please, have a little more on track courtesy, we werent there to be racing, if we were, i sure as **** wouldnt bring a grand am! :D

on another note, you can add another 3 farming events, i went all 4 off (whilst spinning) and martin G went off twice, all four off. :D

that damned grand am was HILARIOUS! you could stab the brakes and it would instantly spin out, S2000 style, in any corner. the thing would have soo much body roll that the chin spoiler would scrape the whole way around a corner. i had tire wear about halfway down the 65 series sidewalls to boot! i was keeping pretty well with most of the lightly modded SE-Rs, for about a lap, then that damned FR tire would overheat and turn to mush.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
98sr20ve said:
True, Not trying to be overly sensitive on this side either. Some people thought I spun twice. I am just trying to point out that driving off in a straight line is sometimes a wise choice rather then taking a corner you are not sure you can make...
Boy howdy.

Track newbies take note!

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
Well let's see how I faired...(both happened during the 2nd session).

1st, the ass-end got too loose from extreme tire pressures (heat) and I fish tailed. I ended up facing the wrong way on the track.

A couple laps later...the ass-end got loose AGAIN and I ended up in the grass on the first turn going into the back straight.

I then retired for the day. Fortunatley I left with no flat spots on the tires, no PS fluid boil over, no overheating issues, no brake fade and a working car.

Then Mike Kojima hops in with me and the camcorder in the passenger seat. It then turns into a "Best of Motoring" video moment. Me holding on for dear life and Mike casually talking about the apexes and whatnot.

Mike didn't want to break 3rd gear, so he was only driving my car at 7/10ths...SURE COULD'VE FOOLED ME!!!

I have tons of track footage that I'll end up downloading. The GrandAm was the funniest thing I've ever seen. More wheel gap then a lifted 85' Bronco!

·
pwnd
3,456 Posts
well ill take my hiatus from here later....so ill clear up a few things.

Since i was working the thing and all. If i had see that move I would have pulled him off the track. The radios were rather....sucky. So if it was called in I didnt hear it. There were clearly only 2 pass points. Oh well....water under the bridge.

Sessions were pretty close to exact time, execpt like once. One felt realy short, i tried to keep close tabs on time but depending on how many people talked to me depened on how well i remembered the time. but i usualy erred on the long side if i could help it. hopeing that anyone that was getting tired would be smart enough to come in.

The very very last one i didnt time as I rode with Matt. The track owner and Eric were the ones doing that one. It felt really long in the passenger seat. I know I saw 10 mins or more tick off on Matt's clock once I took notice of the time which was well into the session.

The one time we had to get workers out to brush off the track....i did let it run a bit over what it should have. but for the most part that was a cool down session.

Times....the few people that were doing some unscientific measurements said most times were 1:13-1:16 depending on car/driver. I dont recal anyone dipping much below that but not all cars were timed. guess best way to tell is in car cameras and time it.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
NismoDriver said:
I am anxiously awaiting video as well. Doesn't have to be my car, I just want video!
I can't remember who it was, but someone rode with me the fourth session with a digital camcorder. I'm supposed to get a copy sometime...

I want to see Greg's in car video too!

·
pwnd
3,456 Posts
As to the yelling at

I applogized to mike more than once, mostly cause we didnt have proper flags. I felt the move he did wasnt safe. And as the corner workers I felt that wasnt proper and thought it should be noted. I didnt know who was driving the car, and felt that didnt matter. I heard who was driving i thought maybe i didnt need to say anything, then thought about how i shouldnt care who it is if its unsafe i should make note of it. Then the owner(or who i thought was the owner im not sure) came over and asked me about it wanting to know if i had said anything to the driver. I said no cause i couldnt get him to come in. that dude was about to throw the checker flag cause he didnt like the move. there were more than 2 yellows being flown on that front strech and the grey car didnt lift.

I am a good friend with Mike and value that friendship but safety is safety. And plus what Mike said to me once I tried to tell him what was going on didnt sit right with me. I am not going to make a big deal over it, its a convention not a race. and i think mike needed to realize that, and also think of the example he was laying or not laying. i dont think what was said was necessary...but oh well....i thought about raising a fuss over it but its just a convention.....

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
jacen99SE said:
I can't remember who it was, but someone rode with me the fourth session with a digital camcorder. I'm supposed to get a copy sometime...

I want to see Greg's in car video too!

That was me!!! The video will be coming soon!!!

Steve.

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
Bowlcut said:
As to the yelling at

Just for the "record" I know for a fact that Mike slowed down. We saw the whole incident happening right in front of us. We were probably 1/4mi away when it happened. To be honest, I didn't know why they were waving the flag histerically...and neither did Mike. I initially thought it was because I had the camcorder. :confused:

I'm sure you know that when piloting a car, Mike is VERY careful and serious. He would not endanger the car or the occupants...especially for a "non racing" event.

Steve.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts