SR20 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
pwnd
3,456 Posts
I had no clue who was plioting the car for one thing.
I also got a little chewing by the head dude there for the move.
We had no black flags AT ALL.
After many attempts at trying to coax said driver in head dude was very mad.
I took the brunt cause I had to.
And then what was said the night before about corner workers......

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
I hope I'm not coming across like a jerk, because I'm not trying to be. I can definately understand the frustration of not having the proper equipment and then having management getting in your face. I was actually watching the in-car video when it happened and we had passed a car before the flag even went up. Once Mike and I saw the incident we slowed down and stayed behind Foltz until he pitted. After that...

The corner workers/track workers did a very good job!!! George was right on the money on Fri.

Steve.

·
SE-R RACER
1,083 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
you passed us in the middle of the turn that leads onto the back straight. that was not cool, but hey, wouldnt have mattered much, that would have been your car you wadded up, i had the damage waiver :D just, please, have a little more on track courtesy, we werent there to be racing, if we were, i sure as **** wouldnt bring a grand am! :D

Who is it me or Andy? I wasn't driving a yellow car. :confused:

·
Registered
333 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
you passed us in the middle of the turn that leads onto the back straight. that was not cool, but hey, wouldnt have mattered much, that would have been your car you wadded up, i had the damage waiver :D just, please, have a little more on track courtesy, we werent there to be racing, if we were, i sure as **** wouldnt bring a grand am! :D

on another note, you can add another 3 farming events, i went all 4 off (whilst spinning) and martin G went off twice, all four off. :D

QUOTE]

Is that the incident you are talking about? What was the incident? I passed on the exit of the turn before the banked right hander on to the back straight. You were very slow in and exiting the turn. I saw the pass as a SAFE pass and I took it. If i surprised you. I apologise. There was nothing unsafe about it. Did you have to lockup your brakes or take evasive action to avoid a colission?

I said I waited for a signal from the other drivers before passing. The ONE pass I took. I get slammed., What can I say. It was a drivers call. Afterall it was a ADVANCED group.

Andy R.>

·
8,886 Posts
Andy R. said:
I said I waited for a signal from the other drivers before passing. The ONE pass I took. I get slammed., What can I say. It was a drivers call. Afterall it was a ADVANCED group.
Andy R.>
If you got a signal and it was a safe spot then no one should be mad. Most instructors groups allow open passing in any spot. This track was nervous about that for some reason. I think you could have passed in a number of spots is both drivers are talking to eachother using hand signals.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
blackb13 said:
That was me!!! The video will be coming soon!!!

Steve.
Cool, I can't wait! Everybody wants to see it.

I didn't know if you were from the forum or the list or both when we were there, and I was having so much fun I probably forgot to ask. Thanks for taking the video! :D

·
70/30 Racing
11,371 Posts
98sr20ve said:
If you got a signal and it was a safe spot then no one should be mad. Most instructors groups allow open passing in any spot. This track was nervous about that for some reason. I think you could have passed in a number of spots is both drivers are talking to eachother using hand signals.
first, let me clarify, i wasnt driving. i was a passenger.

Andy passed us from a blind spot, the grand am wasnt the most stable of vehicles, and if he had paid attention to the gyrations of its chassis in any corner, it wouldnt have been called safe.

the driver never waived for a pass, it was the middle of a corner, and we were passed from the blind spot. even in the advanced group, i would still call this a no no. in a corner, as i am sure you are aware, it is very hard to see somone passing you. if we had to do any sudden movements (such as a tire blowing out like it did on Greg V) we would have plowed into you. remember, this isnt a race, there are no lap timers, nor are there championship points to be earned. there werent half naked ladies, a winner's podium or champagne. this was just to have fun. :D

but, oh well, water under the bridge. it seems like you meant absolutely no harm by it, so i'm over it, no prob here man. :D

overall, that was a fun day, i am still giddy from ragging on that damned car. next year there will be a rental showdown as well.

·
8,886 Posts
I thought he said that he got a point. If he did not get a point then he should not have taken the pass. I think it might be difficult for a real racer to understand that driving school people really rely on those points.

Steve

·
70/30 Racing
11,371 Posts
98sr20ve said:
I thought he said that he got a point. If he did not get a point then he should not have taken the pass. I think it might be difficult for a real racer to understand that driving school people really rely on those points.

Steve
no, no point. Martin (driver) was like "what the ****" when he passed.

i think anything but competition should have points. its for everyone's better good. it would be a trajedy to wad your car up thousands of miles from home over an overzealous pass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This discussion gives very clear indications as to the differences between DE/Lapping and Racing. Many people who participate in Lapping events call it racing. They are very different. Each has it's merits.

DE/Lapping is great because you can go out in your street car with a reasonable chance of bringing it home in one piece. You usually get tons of track time. And, you can pay attention to *your* line in corners instead of worrying about the guy coming up the inside. You usually have all day to try tire pressures, settings, ride with others, take passengers, etc.

Racing is great because you can pass anywhere the opportunity exists. There is no such thing as a no passing zone. But, there is still etiquette. I point people by one a regular basis that are *much* faster. The downside is the opportunity to trash your car and limited track time. It's very hard to test on a race weekend. 20 minute qualifying and a 25 minute race just doesn't do it. But, you know *exactly* where you stand at the end of the day.

And, all I really want to know is "was the Red #06 fast?" :)

Grover
http://www.nissport.com
'92 SE-R SCCA/ITS

·
Registered
333 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
no, no point. Martin (driver) was like "what the ****" when he passed.

i think anything but competition should have points. its for everyone's better good. it would be a trajedy to wad your car up thousands of miles from home over an overzealous pass.

I have no idea when or where this happened. I tried to be safe at all times. With my years and leavel of experience, maby I did not see it as dangerious situation. It was a drivers call.

Andy.

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
grover said:
And, all I really want to know is "was the Red #06 fast?" :)

Fast indeed, actually, several times I said outloud, "They're driving the **** outta that car, I don't know if I want them driving mine." Geo and Bruce were very fast in your car, I was extremely impressed.

John

·
70/30 Racing
11,371 Posts
Andy R. said:
I have no idea when or where this happened. I tried to be safe at all times. With my years and leavel of experience, maby I did not see it as dangerious situation. It was a drivers call.

Andy.
yeah, it was a driver's call, the driver in front.

look, this wasnt a race. i am not going to argue this with you. when you pass someone in a NON racing situation (which is what this was) you need to wait for a point or a flag. thats it. we werent racing. if you want to continue this continually repeating argument, pm me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am not argueing with you. When someone accuses you of trying to kill them. I do not take it likely. I want to know if I made a mistake. You published this. If you and the driver felt that way you should have said something then. Furthermore you should have pm me first with such an accusization.

Maby I wanted to get around the erratic driver in the rental. Did anyone ELSE see me pass unsafely in a turn at any time on the track?

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Geo and Bruce were very fast in your car...
All I'll say is I'm not the one that got the tires greasy. Though I did almost lap the Gran Prix the first session...

·
70/30 Racing
11,371 Posts
Andy R. said:
I am not argueing with you. When someone accuses you of trying to kill them. I do not take it likely. I want to know if I made a mistake. You published this. If you and the driver felt that way you should have said something then. Furthermore you should have pm me first with such an accusization.

Maby I wanted to get around the erratic driver in the rental. Did anyone ELSE see me pass unsafely in a turn at any time on the track?
so you deemed it safe to pass in a corner? especially a car that was obviously at the limit? it doesnt matter if no one else saw you. i saw you. i think the fact that you have the only yellow B13 race car kind of narrows it down, you? it is kind of hard to mistake a situation like that.

i never said you tried to kill me, which i hope you wouldnt try to do. you just almost ran us off the track, which in that car, would have been scary in the best situation. i said: "thanks for almost killing me." this is something you nearly did. we had to attempt to tighten our line because where we WERE going was now occupied by YOU. in order to do this in a terminally understeering car, we had to lift, which nearly caused a spin at 50+ mph. that seat still has an dent in it from my buttcheeks squinching together because you had red mist. thanks.

if you didnt want this "accusation" to be public, you shouldnt have done the deed in the first place. i was simply stating facts about something you did to me, which i thought was wrong. you never got a point, and you passed in a corner. both are something you dont do in a hotlapping situation, even an advanced group. so, how am i in the wrong here?

so, repeat after me: "hotlapping is not racing. no point or flag, no pass. period."

i didnt sign up to "race" people, i signed up to have fun and push a car to its limits in a safe and proper place.

·
Registered
333 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
so you deemed it safe to pass in a corner? especially a car that was obviously at the limit? it doesnt matter if no one else saw you. i saw you. i think the fact that you have the only yellow B13 race car kind of narrows it down, you? it is kind of hard to mistake a situation like that.

i never said you tried to kill me, which i hope you wouldnt try to do. you just almost ran us off the track, which in that car, would have been scary in the best situation. i said: "thanks for almost killing me." this is something you nearly did. we had to attempt to tighten our line because where we WERE going was now occupied by YOU. in order to do this in a terminally understeering car, we had to lift, which nearly caused a spin at 50+ mph. that seat still has an dent in it from my buttcheeks squinching together because you had red mist. thanks.

if you didnt want this "accusation" to be public, you shouldnt have done the deed in the first place. i was simply stating facts about something you did to me, which i thought was wrong. you never got a point, and you passed in a corner. both are something you dont do in a hotlapping situation, even an advanced group. so, how am i in the wrong here?

so, repeat after me: "hotlapping is not racing. no point or flag, no pass. period."

i didnt sign up to "race" people, i signed up to have fun and push a car to its limits in a safe and proper place.

I stand by my driving at no time at all did I feel that I was driving unsafe.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I really, really, really don't like having my thread highjacked.

This should have been discussed via pm, only. Then, when settled on both sides and y'all felt it was necessary and important to the community, post your thoughts... period.

I have a few other comments that I'd like to make, but I think it'd be wiser for me to bounce them off George and Bruce, first.

I started this thread to express my admiration for the way certain track cars were driven and for their drivers, period.

Later,
Mark

·
Registered
333 Posts
vladha said:
I really, really, really don't like having my thread highjacked.

This should have been discussed via pm, only. Then, when settled on both sides and y'all felt it was necessary and important to the community, post your thoughts... period.

I have a few other comments that I'd like to make, but I think it'd be wiser for me to bounce them off George and Bruce, first.

I started this thread to express my admiration for the way certain track cars were driven and for their drivers, period.

Later,
Mark

You are right, absolutly right. Sorry Mark.

Andy.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts