SR20 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Any donkey dung with an Achtung! rating of greater than 87 is a waste of money.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Andy, Steve... apologies accepted. I'd drop by one of your threads, Steve, but I know even less about methane induction engines than I do about the sr20de... thanks for the offer, though.

Now, I can't have been the only one who admired specific cars and drivers. I know two of the things I've brought back from the track, 1) this track wasn't about horsepower 2) smooth and clean equals "fast" laps. Oh yeah, and something I already knew, that a good driver in a poor car is better than a poor driver in a good car... and a good driver in a good car is awesome. Seeing it in person just blew me away. That's right, I'd never seen any of our cars on a track before... impressive as hell for this person to see.

Ok, yeah, that was more than 2 things... so sue me.

Later,
Mark(can you tell I've been infused with enthusiasm?)

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
Andy R. said:
I want to know if I made a mistake.
Since you asked Andy, I have to say you did. Beginner and Intermediate groups could pass on the two main straights with a point-by. Advanced could pass anywhere, with a point-by. You may have missed that in the driver's meeting.

Andy R. said:
If you and the driver felt that way you should have said something then. Furthermore you should have pm me first with such an accusization.
I'd have to agree with both statements. A brief discussion at the track would probably have resolved everything and everyone could have shook hands with a smile.

I must say it did seem to me like Steve was calling you out. I don't for a second think you meant to do anything wrong Andy, not that it makes it OK, but it should make it much easier for everyone to resolve this and be friends.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:
feel free to drop by any of my threads and discuss the combustability of donkey dung any time.
Would that be flying, or just lying on the ground? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
david said:
That's Pahls car.
Yeah I drove Mike Pahls car for a session (thanks Mike for the E-Ticket ride) its lighting fast, nearly as fast as a SE-R cup car. My only issue is that I am short and I could not see where I was going due to Mikes low mounted seat, I was driving by looking out the side windows. I could have gone even faster if I could see. Ask Kieran, I kept asking him how my lines were because I was not 100% sure. Its pretty funny how you learn to cope with things but racing teaches you that, so no brakes, on fire, blind whatever, you can still go pretty fast.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Andy R. said:
There was no official time keeping. So we will have to put the time part of it in the trash bin. I am by no means the best driver. I do consider myself better than average with my SCCA peers. One thing I have learned over the years is consistency. LowCloud said I was doing consistent 1:13's. If Mike did a .59 sec. lap and some one was checking lap times there would have been a few laps working up to such a time. A 1:10, 1:05, 1:02 and so on. No disrespect to Mike's ability as a driver. I am sure he would agree.

The performance of my car right now is at it's best. I could put the car anywhere I wanted to. Still there were a few tenths that could have been dropped. I tried not to bully my way past anyone, I waited for a pass signal from the driver before I did pass. Everyone did a great job this weekend and I am glad that I attended the convention.

Andy R.
I think I was turning pretty fast lap times in Mikes car but not an order of magnitude faster than a prepped race car with a good driver, it wondent suprise me if I was amoung the fastest but not by 13 seconds on a low 1 minute track.

My favorite dice was in David Evan's NX chasing Tim Rodgers. Mikes car was too fast, made it too easy.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Bowlcut said:
I had no clue who was plioting the car for one thing.
I also got a little chewing by the head dude there for the move.
We had no black flags AT ALL.
After many attempts at trying to coax said driver in head dude was very mad.
I took the brunt cause I had to.
And then what was said the night before about corner workers......
First off, when a yellow flag is flown, it means caution, no passing from the break line of the flag station to the next station. I passed before the flag station. Second, I saw the spin that the yellow flag was flown for from the entire length of the front straight and had plenty of time to slow down and react to it.

Third, I saw you waving a yellow at me and jumping up and down, like what the heck is that supposed to mean? If you are supposed to come in the proper flag is a black flag. If the track managment was so bothered that they thought I was driving dangerously which was quite a streach by anyone imagination, even if I was not a lincenced racer, then why didnt they have the proper flags? We though you wanted the vidio camera put away or something, we had no idea what the officals wanted.

Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, the flags were screwed up. I came around the very last turn and the flag man was blowing his whistle at me with his arms crossed in the air like a big X. I had no idea what he was trying to say. But I slowed down, and was driving down the front straight, when the checkered was waved at me very hard.

Apparently all that was to get me to come into the pits (as the track was being cleaned). A black flag, and I'd be like "oh, ok." Even a red flag would have gotten the point accross better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Yeah I drove Mike Pahls car for a session (thanks Mike for the E-Ticket ride) its lighting fast, nearly as fast as a SE-R cup car. My only issue is that I am short and I could not see where I was going due to Mikes low mounted seat, I was driving by looking out the side windows. I could have gone even faster if I could see. Ask Kieran, I kept asking him how my lines were because I was not 100% sure. Its pretty funny how you learn to cope with things but racing teaches you that, so no brakes, on fire, blind whatever, you can still go pretty fast.

Mike

Are the cup cars that much faster? I took a close look at Mike Pahis and I like it very much. My wife was telling me "No you cannot get that engine". Cool car Mike.

Andy R.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Andy R. said:
Are the cup cars that much faster? I took a close look at Mike Pahis and I like it very much. My wife was telling me "No you cannot get that engine". Cool car Mike.

Andy R.
They are faster than an IT car because they have more power and are slightly lighter. They are faster than Mike's car because they are about 200 lbs lighter. stiffer are more nimble, corner and brake better. Mikes car is like a well set up street car with a cage. They don't have as much power but can be thrown around a lot better. Even more amazing are the HC Civics, they are way more nimble than a cup car.

Mike

·
SE-R RACER
1,083 Posts
Andy R. said:

Andy R.
I don't know how fast the cup cars are but would assume if they are faster than Mike's car it is because of there light weight. From my understanding most of them are around 150 WHp Mike's car is more along the lines of 170 WHP. Mike also had Kieran in the car which added added 200 lbs.

How the hell does Mike know how fast he was going anyway? He couldn't see over the steering wheel. :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Man am I starting to regret not having gone. I would have loved to had a chance to share some lapping time with you guys....maybe next year!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts