SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned a lot about car over the past year or so and I'm ready to start doing my own work on my car instead of always paying an arm and a leg. I was going to buy a blown engine, take it apart and put it back together (anybody selling one :) ). Any ideas or resources that anybody can suggest? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just have all the right tools with you.
Nothing is better then having all the right tools available.

I took my BLOWN engine apart just to see more of how it worked.

I even made this trophy out of a piston.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Invest in an FSM. I've been using mine more and more... mainly to research and try to see or visualize how things are working. Especially when the garage kings on this forum talk about improvements.

I also take digital photos of everything I do when I work on my car... before, during and after pics. Slows me down, some but everything gets put back together with no left over parts;)

Peace Out,
Mark

P.S. My FSM sits right next to my computer when I'm reading through the forum... I'm still a nerd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vladha said:
Invest in an FSM. I've been using mine more and more... mainly to research and try to see or visualize how things are working. Especially when the garage kings on this forum talk about improvements.

I also take digital photos of everything I do when I work on my car... before, during and after pics. Slows me down, some but everything gets put back together with no left over parts;)

Peace Out,
Mark

P.S. My FSM sits right next to my computer when I'm reading through the forum... I'm still a nerd.
Don't mean to ask a dumb question, but what exactly is a FSM?

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Factory Service Manual...it's written by nissan, and has very detailed instructions along with some illustrations on all repairs for your vehicle. Even a complete engine overhaul.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Damn SE-Rwemovingyet you stole my question. But mine was a little more in depth. I always wonderd how people Like Andreas Miko, Jbannach(Sp), JGY and all these other guys got so knowledgable about cars. I can do pretty much anything electrical! But when it comes to motors I can get clueless pretty quick.

On a side note though I find that when you have a simple problem and you have the knowledge to fix it but not the tools, dont use your option of taking it to a shop. Buy the tools needed and fix it yourself. I found that by doing that, that the tools that I bought usually pay for them selves over and over again on other jobs!

What I think I am going to do is: I have a guy that works on my Moms cars when ever somthing goes wrong with them. Hes also into performance also though. He owns his own shop and we are pretty cool. What Im going to do is basically call him up and Voulunteer to help him out with what ever he needs done for free. But by working with him for free in my spare time I will be getting paid with the Experience and Knowledge of how to work on cars. Ill let you know how it goes in about 1yr!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
learn to do the job, then fix your buddies cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts