SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the nitrous kit for my car on Monday. Prior to taking the car out for a spin, we did what we thought was all the preliminary things to eliminate or lessen the chance of detonation. Me and a friend put the timing back to base timing and installed brand new NGK brk7s gapped at 34.

Now for the run:
1 run: I gunned the car in 2nd and once 4krpm hit, OMG!! That was one great feeling. The car didn't spin wheels at all, it jus flew literally. No sound of pinging or detonation.

2 run: The problems started coming in, another strong run in 2nd gear. Went all the way through mid of 4th gear until finally shutting down.

Right when I came to a stop, the car wouldn't idle at all! WTF!! It sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders. It was that bad. We checked first to see if there were any vacuum leaks. Every hose seemed to check fine. We were able to limp it back to my friend's house to check the condition of the plugs.

plug#4: Looked perfect as can be..no wear
plug#3: Slightly discolored but not bad enough to tell anything
plug#2: Now we're getting somewhere. The porcelin on the plug was halfway chipped off.
finally plug#1: OMG! What the hell happened to the electrode?? It must have been burning so lean that the mixture deteriorated the electrode of the plug..

So after all that, me and my friend were sittin with our thumbs up our asses wondering what the hell happened. We put the stock plugs in, which btw were still in good condition, and checked to see if the car would still idle. NOPE! The car is now running on 3 cylinders with one burnt valve.

The car is now sitting in the SR20Development garage and is awaiting another motor to be put in. In the meanwhile, any ideas as to WTF happened to the car? Why did the car run so lean? The only conclusion I came to was that the fuel pump was bad. If so, I want to make sure so I won't go ahead and blow the next motor.

Notes on the nos kit:
JWT 100 shot computer, 4 fogger setup running 4 (26) jets, 370 cc injectors

Current mods:
Hotshot G4 headers and CAI, Greedy exhaust, and bored MAF

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The way it gets worse as it goes toward cylinder 1 is interesting. Does sound like you were getting leaner as you went from cylinder 4 towards 1.

Isn't the 100 shot really close to topping out the MAF and the 370cc injectors and the stock fuel pump? Headers, CAI, and exhaust should put you around 140whp plus 100 from nitrous....

Doesn't boring the MAF make the car run a little leaner anyway since you are flowing more air through the main whole while the airflow through the part that measures hasn't been increased?

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CruznSER:

Current mods:
Hotshot G4 headers and CAI, Greedy exhaust, and bored MAF
</font>
The bored MAF kind seems odd. is it possible its not reading airflow correctly anymore causing a lean condition?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The computer was programmed specifically for the bored MAF. Prior to the NOS install, the car ran pretty strong. I had no problems at all with the computer and the MAF.

With the mixture leaning out from plug 4 to 1, I am completely baffled. It seems as though the pump was not efficient enough to keep consistent pressure along the fuel rail.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Dude, that sucks! I was really looking forward to how your car would run with the direct-port style JWT 100 shot NOS system. I plan on doing that same exact thing later when I get bored with the 50 shot (i.e., run a 12.9
)

But, it does sound like either the fuel pump couldn't hang or that cylinders #1 and #2 got more n2o than the others. How are you n2o lines plumbed?

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
782 Posts
How many miles does your stock fuel pump have on it? are the injectors new or used? You are running a dry direct port; meaning one dry nozzle per cylinder, correct?!?
Are you running (1) or (2) NOS Solinoids?

------------------
http://members8.clubphoto.com/louis419830/439477/guest.phtml

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 12.0 @ 118.77, Bluebird SR20DET, T3/T04E, Deltagate Wastegate, FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, Autometer Shift Light, Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Yokohama 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24.5x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by APEXSER:
How many miles does your stock fuel pump have on it?
112k miles

are the injectors new or used?
Used 370cc

You are running a dry direct port; meaning one dry nozzle per cylinder, correct?!?
Correct! One nozzle per cylinder.

Are you running (1) or (2) NOS Solinoids?
1 solenoid
</font>

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AntonioG:

But, it does sound like either the fuel pump couldn't hang or that cylinders #1 and #2 got more n2o than the others. How are you n2o lines plumbed?

</font>
There are 4 steel braided lines coming off the distribution block. Each line goin directly to each runner on the intake manifold feeding nitrous into each nozzle. And from the distribution block, the line feeds all the way to the bottle. Simple set-up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
There are 4 steel braided lines coming off the distribution block. Each line goin directly to each runner on the intake manifold feeding nitrous into each nozzle. And from the distribution block, the line feeds all the way to the bottle. Simple set-up. </font>
You aren't running the small thin tubing that NOS supplies with all of their direct port kits?

Louis

·
Registered
782 Posts
</font>
There can be a few different problems:

1. Fuel Pump - I lost my motor on the dyno with a 98000 mile pump on the 100shot @ Group 5 in San Diego, CA.

2. Fuel Injectors -Since they are used they may be dirty or the injector in cylinder # 1 is not floing at the same rate as the other 3 injectors.

3. NOS Solenoid - The solenoid may have stuck open! Is this a used NOS kit? If so, the solenoid may need to be rebuilt! Also: I personally like to run (2) NOS solenoids in line just incase one of them were to actually stick open, the other would still be functional and prevent NOS from still being injected.

Stainless Steel braided lines - What size lines are these? Make sure none of them are clogged! I am just curious as to why you didn't run the small thin tubing NOS provides!

NOS jets - Are you running the "Sapphire" jets or the conventional jets? The "Sapphire" jets are way more accurate than the conventional jets!

------------------
http://members8.clubphoto.com/louis419830/439477/guest.phtml

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 12.0 @ 118.77, Bluebird SR20DET, T3/T04E, Deltagate Wastegate, FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, Autometer Shift Light, Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Yokohama 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24.5x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Dude that sucks!!!!!! I have run 75-125 shot on two SE-Rs with no blown motors, I was using 4 wet foggers, I didn't mess with the JWT setup. Your defintely running lean, is it possible that the injector in #1 cylinder isn't a 370cc? Is it possible you mixed them up when you where swapping them?(ie did you accidently put the stock one back in?) Something to think about.

·
Registered
782 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by skyliner:
Is it possible you mixed them up when you where swapping them?(ie did you accidently put the stock one back in?) Something to think about.</font>
The 370's are purple and the 259's are red!

Louis

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Dude that really sucks. I just installed my first NOS kit for a friend on his Eclipse. We installed a fuel pressure safety switch on the fuel rail which closes the solenoids (2 inline) if the pressure is not high enough. A mechanic friend/shop owner who has a drag car that he runs every weekend says he NEVER puts the safety switch on the cars he install NOS kits on. I didn't want to take that chance on Keith's car. The weekend before we installed the kit we replaced the fuel pump on his car as a precaution especially since he initially would not have a fuel pressure gauge.

At the least the pump should be replaced prior to adding a NOS kit in my opinion. I just did the FTF motorsport Walbro high volume pump a month ago preparing for my turbo and it was sooooo easy. The price is unbelievably reasonable for the quality and performance.

I am not saying that this was the weakness in your case, I just wanted to bring up the few points I stated for others. Good luck getting it back on the road soon man.

BTW, what was your timing set to?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by skyliner:
Is it possible you mixed them up when you where swapping them?(ie did you accidently put the stock one back in?) Something to think about.</font>

Hey Skyliner,
It would kinda hard for me to inter-swap the different injectors. The injectors came with their own rail. So I jus simply swapped my rail for the 370cc rail. Plus the different color (red vs. purple) gave it away.

That would be some **** though if I did swap out the wrong injectors! I'd kick my own ass for that one! Then again, I should have changed out my fuel pump from the beginning!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
CruzNSer:

Bummer about going lean and burning the valve. It does sound like the fuel pump or the injector is at fault.
I use a direct port 'wet' setup, so the dry JWT setup isn't familiar enough to me to diagnose.

But the betting man in me says...check the fuel pump and injectors for flow. Chances are you went lean on one cylinder, burned the valve/piston top, and that's what chewed up the spark plug.

Again...bummer...if I can be of any help, I'll try. But the JWT setup is foreign to me.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
194 Posts
dude, sorry to hear about your bad luck. currently i'm running the JWT 50 shot set-up. the only things i've heard about the 100 shot is that it is really timing sensitive.

these kind of posts are a wake up call, i think i'll check **my** plugs tomarrow!! my fuel pump is stock with 103,000 miles on it. hmmmm??? maybe time for a new one just in case.

--SERprise, is your nitrous setup progressive? the best runs in my b14 so far....
9.19 @ 77 mph 1/8 mile
14.21 @ 99 mph 1/4 mile (spinning mostly through first)

...my goal is to hit 13's on street tires! :)

later
bryan

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the kit as is from Andreas Miko. All braided steel lines through and through.

I used the flare 26 jets. I do not know anything about the sapphire jets though.
How much would it cost to have the injectors cleaned?
How can I test lines and see if they are clogged? When I had the nitrous armed, it seemed as though nitrous was flowing well if not too much. So I don't think that it would be clogged.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Damn scary **** man. sorry about the ride. I wanted to upgrade to a 100 shot but will definitely get a 300ztt fuel pump first.what a wake up for me.
also that gap is kind of wide for nos mine are at.029 and standard 6g11 splugs plats from a na 300z as recommended by JW himself.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought it was a bit of an overkill goin with the 7 range plugs. Plus, with the timing set at 15 degress, there would be lil chance of me blowing up.

2 conclusions that I will look into is the flow of all the injectors (which I was confirmed were still in fairly new condition) and the fuel pump. The fuel pump is already in route to be installed. I am just waiting now for the motor to be swapped in. And if I may have any luck at all, it may just be a burnt valve in my original motor. So once this motor is out, get a rebuilt head for the other motor and bam, a backup motor! Thank God for emergency credit cards!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts