SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jesus this was even shorter than my avernir!!!! last night driving my s13 i started hearing a knock that went from nothing to something really loud in about 20 sec... im pretty sure its rod knock, how it happend i dont know, there was oil on the front of my block sooo i guess front main seal went and starved it for oil? but its still registers oil.. no clue, this is ****eddd!

so my question... whats the quickest cheapest way to get this thing running again? i also dont know of many machine shops around that deal with sr's mostly old guys that like v8's. anyone know of any around nor cal..

thanks,
clayton

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
damn man, sorry to hear that.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
just curious... did you change out the bearings before you installed the motor? It should be standard procedure to do so or there is a good likely hood of spinnig a bearing.

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
spdracerUT said:
just curious... did you change out the bearings before you installed the motor? It should be standard procedure to do so or there is a good likely hood of spinnig a bearing.

agreed. the rod bearings should at the least be inspected for wear before installing a motor. Its much easier to change the bearings with the motor out of the car than in the car.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cortrim1 said:
agreed. the rod bearings should at the least be inspected for wear before installing a motor. Its much easier to change the bearings with the motor out of the car than in the car.

yea well lesson learned! i think my best bet is to pull the motor and start a tear down.. i just prey that the cylinder walls arnt messed up at all!!! and maybe if im lucky the crank isnt either.. lol i know im just dreaming one of them is ****ed for sure!

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spdracerUT said:
for those bearings do i just go to the dealer and get se-r bearings? and also to help me out with the rebuild what should i get a fsm or something

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
sr20veb13 said:
for those bearings do i just go to the dealer and get se-r bearings? and also to help me out with the rebuild what should i get a fsm or something

the bearing grades are stamped on the first counter weight on the crank. this is the information you will need to get new bearings. A fsm would not hurt but you can find the information you need by searching this site. :biggthump

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
sr20veb13 said:
yea well lesson learned! i think my best bet is to pull the motor and start a tear down.. i just prey that the cylinder walls arnt messed up at all!!! and maybe if im lucky the crank isnt either.. lol i know im just dreaming one of them is f-cked for sure!

if you shut the car down when you heard the knocking there is a good chance no damage was done.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cortrim1 said:
the bearing grades are stamped on the first counter weight on the crank. this is the information you will need to get new bearings. A fsm would not hurt but you can find the information you need by searching this site. :biggthump
so if i just take the number into nissan they will give me the correct bearings?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts