SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got my spare block here. it's got some light surface rust on the cyl walls. (cast iron block) I'd like to clean it up really well and then coat it with a protecting coat to prevent more rust until I build the new engine.

any suggestions for chemicals and/or processes?

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
I used some of that oil stabilizer stuff. Mine was called Power Punch and Lucas and several others make the smae thing.. you know the stuff.. they have the little display at the store where you crank the wheels and see how much better their stuff woks as opposed to conventional oil... Anyways you can lay that stuff on nice and thick on the cylinder walls and it cleans up very easy. The only other thing Ive heard people use is wheel bearing grease or other types of grease. But thats a lot harder to clean up, etc..

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. I've got some seafoam cleaner/lube I'll try with a toothbrush.........and then pick up some of that lucas stuff or something. I just want to lay down a nice coat of something that will stick and protect....all over the inside of the block.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
usually i just use WD40

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
yeah I bought that Power Punch stuff @ Napa Auto Parts. I coated the bores and main bearing surfaces as well as my crank journals and main bearing caps. They were preserved for over 6 months before they made it to the machine shop. No rust no gathering fo grime/dirt/etc....

I used to use grease, but its like 3x messier and gathers dust and dirt a lot more for some reason....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts