SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993. My 10amp "tail lamp" fuse keeps blowing causing my tail lights and dash light not to work. Brake lights still work. I know I have a short somewhere, I've torn apart the whole interior and trunk. I can't for the life of me find out where and its really starting to irritate me. I'm usually pretty good with electrically, but in this case I'm turning to you guys for more ideas.

Any suggestions? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well a couple week ago I installed a wideband and a radar detector. Both installed correctly on their own fused circuits. They have been in there a while with no problems then all of a sudden this happened. I did have a burned out bulb in the wing. I replaced it and it works now, but there is still a short.

·
SE-R RAGE MACHINE
95 Posts
The lightbulb you replaced is the wrong size/ampage or fitment, or the bulb is a double filliment bulb and you are using a single or the other way around.:biggthump

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lightbulb you replaced is the wrong size/ampage or fitment, or the bulb is a double filliment bulb and you are using a single or the other way around.:biggthump
I used a 921, which according to the owners manual is the right one... right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i had the same thing happen to me it was my alt it was puting out to much power so check that
Alt is fine. Checked out good. The fuse will blow instantly whether the car is running or not.

All other circuits are fine, just the tail light and dash light circuit. I have literally the entire car tore apart and I've been probing everywhere. Tested the load and it is pulling some serious amps. I've run out of things to check.

Does anybody know where I can get wiring diagrams? The library has the service manual, but they are closed today.

·
Registered
68 Posts
a friend of mine got the same issue on a b13, the tailights and dashlights work only for about 2 or 3 days before blowing the fuse away. I checked almost everything but never got to check the size or type of the bulbs....

anybody got any other idea?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm thinking of selling this POS as is or maybe parting this ****ing thing out. I took the entire dash out and unplugged pretty much everything. I disconnected the tail light circuit and the cluster. I was getting 12v at the fuse, but now nothing. I can't dick with this car for a another whole day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remove that bulb you put in it. Then add the fuse, does the fuse blow then?

You must isolate that short, & determine if it is a short to ground or short to power. At least it is not the dreaded intermittent short.
It blows with the whole tail light harness disconnected. I think I have isolated it to the harness under the dash. Pretty much everything is disconnected, so I'm thinking it may be in the harness bundle itself. I'm going to remove it tonight and check it over.

Also, all the yards around here have harnesses without tachs. How hard is it to add that or would I be better off just buying a harness from a car with a tach?

·
Registered
6 Posts
it could be a short in your cd player (assuming you have an aftermarket unit). most of the time its the orange illumination wire that people forget to tape up.

im going to check this out because when ever i power shift to second the radio cuts out and rpm tach goes nuts...

and as far as the fuse problem..this was going on with my car to turned out the owner before me had the foglights wired to the parking lights and im guesing they were not grounded out good enough so my fuse would pop...so i just disconnected the foggers..check with anything wired to that fuse make sure your wideband and such is grounded out ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
found out what was causing my short...the negative battery post was touching the hood...so my car almost caught on fire earlier today fml good thing it was only ground wires if i cant get this back alive im parting out jdm sr20de with g20 tranny lsd how much could i get ?

·
Sunny driver
141 Posts
its always something like that! dang. Is the battery taller than stock or something? that is really strange that happened. YOu can turn the black knobs on the cross member to raise the hood level and put a rubber top on the terminals. wow. crazyness. all that work and it was the battery!

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts