SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving home, had a little fun with a g35 and bam. smokin out the tail pipe and a little under the hood under accel. tail pipe smokes regaurdless. pulled out cyl number 2 spark plug and it was covered in oil...

what to do?

91 nissan sentra uk sr20de w/ bb turbo kit.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
plug being covered in oil could just be from the v/c leaking...

Any fluids low? oil in coolant, coolant in oil?

pop your rad cap and start it up, if you get a steady stream of bubbles then your h/g is blown

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bottom of the plug that goes into the cylinder is soaked* and when i replace it with a different spark plug there is no change because that one is immediatly soaked

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
checked it with a flashlight and there is a little bit of fluid in the cylinder along with a little bit less in cylinder 1. it looks like oil.

·
Noobish..
143 Posts
If you have oil on the bottom of the plug and none on the top, it is definitely rebuild time, yeah. Oil in the combustion chamber = dead or torn rubber bits inside.

19 year old turbo motor...... you definitely got your money's worth :p

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see shiny in cyl 1,2 and 4... Haha so idk. I couldn't have blown all of em, well I could but highly unlikely. And the motor only had about 40k on it*

Compression test tomorrow. If head gasket ill fix it. If ring, short/ or long block then rebuild and sell this one.

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well I did a compression test.. cylinders 1, 3 and 4 are all 150. Cylinder 2 is 0. I tried pouring enough oil down in the cylinder to cause a seal to see if I could at least get some kind of reading (read that some where, sounded logical) and still came up with a big 0.

My thinking is that because my oil trick failed, pressure in cyl 2 is leaking out the head gasket. Oil is a tad bit milky as well...not so much in color, but more it's visocsity. It drips right off the dip stick and I'm running 5w30.

Thoughts???

pics of my baby when she was fine last weekend :'(

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
aren't uk sr20de's 10:1? with flat top pistons or something? If so compression is low all around...

I would tear it down, see if there was any block/head damage. If there is no block damage, I'd rebuild it, if there is block damage, get a new motor. DET prices have went up like 200 bucks since I bought mine, but ve prices have fallen.

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmmm. If there is no damage, I see no reason for a rebuild at this point in time. Replace the gasket and see what happens. If nothing changes, then rebuild.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I don't think oil runs directly around the cylinders, only coolant. Chances are that oil is going through a huge gap in your piston, so a head gasket alone isn't going to fix it. I tried looking through the service manual, but couldn't easily find a coolant flows here, oil flows here picture, and it's been so long since I tore one apart.

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
definately coolant in the oil. drained the oil and it was sparkly and milky. Soooo tearin out the head now.

!!!?!?! What's the best way to remove stock head studs?

I also forgot when taking off the cams to check TDC or w/e...what do I do now? is that easy to fix?

·
Sr4gRbEj2j
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
annnnd the final results....:'( hahah

turns out there's a pre decent whole/ gap on the back of the piston in cyl 2. oil flows right down it hence 0000000000.00 compression. pics up soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts