SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people have swapped the BB SR20DET motor compared to those whose swapped the GTI-R motor. What are the advantages/disadvatages of each motor and would you (now)have rather just turboed your SR20DE after swapping in one of these motors.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The GTi-R has a lot of parts that are stronger than a regular SR20 or BBDET, and has a better turbo, along with individual throttle bodies. But you pay quite a premium for them! This makes it harder to swap in a GTi-R motor as well, my reccomendation, and the concensus of most people seems to be, go with the BB DET.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well with all the parts that Rob williams are building and Louis getting the sponsorship, just building up the De might be more worth it...cause as you want to upgrade the det for more power after the initial install,to upgrade would be just the same price. New turbo, downpipe modification of the manifold, wastegate, injectors cause the440cc run out after awhile. Also the need to modify the intercooler setup or the need for a bigger intercooler. I figured it out and its another 2000 at least from the initial 4000 for the engine and other miscelaneous stuff

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, I've actually met Rob Williams. When he worked at Flanners audio. He was actually one of the first people I ever talked to who knew anything about imports. I am starting to really like the idea of building the SR I already have. I've got a couple more questions to those who know, is the Nissan Motorsports pistons forged? I would also like to know the stoutness of the stock rods. Since I would be getting new pistons (I want to eventually run 400+ hp {got to keep up with my friends}) should I just get some Crower rods too. Money isn't that much of an obstacle since I got into my SER for $800. How about cams, springs retainers, head jobs, intake manifolds. I've really not followed the SR as closely as I should have. So thanks in advance for any information anyone could pass along.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Chris Colburn said:
I was wondering how many people have swapped the BB SR20DET motor compared to those whose swapped the GTI-R motor. What are the advantages/disadvatages of each motor and would you (now)have rather just turboed your SR20DE after swapping in one of these motors.
I'm going to get a BB SR20DET because (other than the price cost) the GTi-R DET's parts are harder to find. Most of the DE's parts can be used in the BB DET. If money isn't an issue, get the GTi-R. Otherwise you can't go wrong w/ a BB.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The gti-r is nice and all but you have to worry about little things like the oil pump...i see my light flash for about 3 sec. everytime i start up when the oil is cold...and then hear a niose after it goes off, recently...that scares me cause they dont have the part here and i have to goto japan or europe to get that part.

·
8,148 Posts
SucKit said:
The gti-r is nice and all but you have to worry about little things like the oil pump...i see my light flash for about 3 sec. everytime i start up when the oil is cold...and then hear a niose after it goes off, recently...that scares me cause they dont have the part here and i have to goto japan or europe to get that part.
Dude, that happens with the DE too. It is the tensioner most likely or bottom end drained off. Make sure you are using Nissan filters because you are guarenteed to get the check valve in it you need.

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
What's up Chris?

I still am at Flanner's A/V. Stop on in and say what's up.

As far as your other questions go, the Nismo pistons are cast, not forged. The factory rods are VERY stout. Nissan built a very strong bottom end directly from the factory.
If you purchase a FMAX turbo kit (Stage II), you could very well hit your goal of 400 wheel HP on a bone STOCK motor. There are many guys with SR20's who hit 300+WHP. My goal is to see if I can hit 430-460 at the wheels with a stock motor!
Stop on in and I'll explain as much as I can. What I don't cover, I'm sure the members here will fill you in. I'll soon have my current turbo set up for sale if you're interested.
Last question, you're lucky you found that $800 SE-R before I did. I swear the interior would've been out the same night.........

Oh yeah, before I forget. You did mention other parts like, let's say an intake manifold...Check here.
http://o2induction.com
If you want one, let me know.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not only will I be interested in your turbo kit, but the shortblock you had listed earlier. I'd like to drop in at Flanners when I get out that way- I haven't been in there since they've closed the car stereo section. As my thread lists, my 1991 is getting a full restoration. For some ungodly reason somebody took off the spoiler and painted this car ORANGE it's absolutely hideous. The good thing is that the car is originally from Texas and obviously hasn't spent much time in WI because it's got absolutely no rust on it what-so-ever. But there are alot of little things, like the interior is shady (I'm trying to fix that right now), the motor is smoked, the locks don't work, the shifter was hacked off, but overall it's a project car and it's exactly what I needed. The SE-R is an obvious choice, it can be made to handle with the best, a great little sleeper, it's light, and turbo, turbo, turbo. So, I'll try and stop in next week sometime. Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts