SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's the guy with the BMW Headlight Conversion? I think it looks really hot!!! If that person can send me some day time pics of it and instructions on how to do the conversion. Also, how to wire the 9004's to 9005's and 9006's.
Thanks 91'SE-R

·
Registered
113 Posts
That would be me, unless you were thinking of someone else that might have them also installed. I have to say, before you begin, the beam pattern is too low using the low beam. This is with the headlamps sitting flush with the corner lamps and the hood. The high beam simulates the stock Sentra low beam pattern. I can use the high beams any time and I don't get flashed by oncoming drivers. I'm currently working on modded BMW headlamps to give the correct beam pattern for use on the B13 front end. Should make for an awesome headlight upgrade, especially with a wiring harness upgrade.

As for the wiring, here is some basic information. The BMW headlamp uses a 4 headlamp system as you know. The stock Sentra wiring system has 3 wires leading to each headlamp. Those wires are low beam power, high beam power, and ground. You will of course run the low beam power wire to the low beam lamp and the high beam power wire to the high beam lamp. The stock single ground wire can be shared by both lamps, just run the original ground wire to the low beam. Then use a suitable (matching gage) wire to splice into the stock ground wire and run it to the high beam. Of course all of this will be much simpler if you purchase a couple of universal 9005 sockets and a couple of universal 9006 sockets. If you can't find those where you are located then let me know and I can send them to you for what they cost plus shipping. I do not recommend wiring the system to light both low beam and high beam lamps at the same time using the stock wiring harness, you'll fry something and possibly start a fire.

As far as mounting the headlamps goes, you need a dremel type tool to cut sections of metal that interfere. I don't want to give advice here for liability reasons. My suggestion is to mount the new headlamp and it will be obvious where you need to cut. Remember, measure twice and cut once. Better yet, as part of my "modding" I plan on transferring the stock Sentra mounting brackets over to the BMW headlamps. Along with the beam pattern mods, I should be able to produce a bolt-in headlight upgrade kit this year. You might want to not do any cutting until I get a kit assembled. Just a suggestion.

Here's a pic of a Sentra with the BMW headlamps (first time it ever occurred to me), I think those corner lamps are also BMW cornerlamps, hmmm, I wish Nis-Nnacks would produce more clear corners!:
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/vwp?.dir=/Sentra+Page&.src=ph&.dnm=Sentra+show+car.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/lst%3f%26.dir=/Sentra%2bPage%26.s rc=ph%26.view=t

Day shot of my car:
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/vwp?.dir=/Sentra+Page&.src=ph&.dnm=day+pic+of+my+B13.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/lst%3f%26.dir=/Sentra%2bPage%26 .src=ph%26.view=t

Close up of driver side (final fitment actually looks better), you can see I had to cut away at the metal strip below the lamp:
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/vwp?.dir=/Sentra+Page&.src=ph&.dnm=my+b13+with+e36+headlamps.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/lst%3f%26.dir=/Sentra%2 bPage%26.src=ph%26.view=t

A night shot of the lights:
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/vwp?.dir=/Sentra+Page&.src=ph&.dnm=my+b13+at+night.JPG&.view=t&.done=http%3a//y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/norurb/lst%3f%26.dir=/Sentra%2bPage%26.s rc=ph%26.view=t

Yes, I still don't have a center grill. I'm working on some designs. Most likely it'll end up being identical to the one on the yellow Sentra as shown above. Looks nice.

[This message has been edited by norurb (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
1998ccs of fury
5,489 Posts
This looks great! I need to get my headlights replaced as they are so full of condensation and they are way to dim. Something like this might be a worthy upgrade... Please keep us posted

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by norurb:
That would be me, unless you were thinking of someone else that might have them also installed. I have to say, before you begin, the beam pattern is too low using the low beam. This is with the headlamps sitting flush with the corner lamps and the hood. The high beam simulates the stock Sentra low beam pattern. I can use the high beams any time and I don't get flashed by oncoming drivers. I'm currently working on modded BMW headlamps to give the correct beam pattern for use on the B13 front end. Should make for an awesome headlight upgrade, especially with a wiring harness upgrade.

As for the wiring, here is some basic information. The BMW headlamp uses a 4 headlamp system as you know. The stock Sentra wiring system has 3 wires leading to each headlamp. Those wires are low beam power, high beam power, and ground. You will of course run the low beam power wire to the low beam lamp and the high beam power wire to the high beam lamp. The stock single ground wire can be shared by both lamps, just run the original ground wire to the low beam. Then use a suitable (matching gage) wire to splice into the stock ground wire and run it to the high beam. Of course all of this will be much simpler if you purchase a couple of universal 9005 sockets and a couple of universal 9006 sockets. If you can't find those where you are located then let me know and I can send them to you for what they cost plus shipping. I do not recommend wiring the system to light both low beam and high beam lamps at the same time using the stock wiring harness, you'll fry something and possibly start a fire.

As far as mounting the headlamps goes, you need a dremel type tool to cut sections of metal that interfere. I don't want to give advice here for liability reasons. My suggestion is to mount the new headlamp and it will be obvious where you need to cut. Remember, measure twice and cut once. Better yet, as part of my "modding" I plan on transferring the stock Sentra mounting brackets over to the BMW headlamps. Along with the beam pattern mods, I should be able to produce a bolt-in headlight upgrade kit this year. You might want to not do any cutting until I get a kit assembled. Just a suggestion.

Here's a pic of a Sentra with the BMW headlamps (first time it ever occurred to me), I think those corner lamps are also BMW cornerlamps, hmmm, I wish Nis-Nnacks would produce more clear corners!:

Day shot of my car:

Close up of driver side (final fitment actually looks better), you can see I had to cut away at the metal strip below the lamp:

A night shot of the lights:

Yes, I still don't have a center grill. I'm working on some designs. Most likely it'll end up being identical to the one on the yellow Sentra as shown above. Looks nice.

[This message has been edited by norurb (edited 06-08-2001).]
</font>
I think it looks better with the stock clear parking lamps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes norurb I was talking about your car. I like the yellow one too, but the lights don't sit as flush as yours, plus I like the stock corners better than the BMW's. Well I have the headlights and the universal headlamp sockets for the conversion. When would you have the mounting bracket kit done. Also, do you have any pictures with the hood open so I can see where you did some cutting along the support.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry, trying to find time to take my headlamps out. Today I'm going to take some plans to a fab shop so they can make my custom front grill. When I get it back I'll get pics of it and the headlamps. As for the mounting kit, I'm planning on developing bolt-in headlamps...stay tuned for that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was getting ready to buy new headlamps for my 94(water,foggy) but if you think you will have a kit in the next 6 months I will definitely buy one if the price is not to high. Keep us posted or email me when you think you might have something at
[email protected]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sure thing, M2.ODE. The headlamps are from a e36 BMW, years 92 thru 96, cars such as 318, 325, and M3. I'm predicting no more than 2 months from now I should have a kit ready for sale. Research and development takes time and I'd like to do this right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts