SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently installed a pop-style charger on my 91' Auto NX2000.. this filter is just like the Jim Wolf type with the adapter that bolts on the MAF sensor. Here's my question now when I floor the pedal from a stop I get a serious bogg.. once the RPM's reach 2k it takes off like a wild man. The intake screams and the car is powerfull.. I'm just wondering what to do about the bottom end.. anyone got any ideas??? Timing???? I've cleaned the EGR crap and stuff but not sure where to go from here.. Oh yeah the engine has around 30k on it..

thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
bump your timing to 17. Check the ground of the MAF sensor. Both procedures are listed on SE-R net I believe.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ill bet your timing is way WAY low. Mine was the exact same way. When eric checked the timing it was at like 10*. What happens when you floor it the computer takes up to 5 degrees of timing out of the base timing. So if you are at 10 you go back to 5, if you are at 15-17 you go back to 10-12. It was like night and day for my auto when I did that. And all ive got is a pop like you. So have someone that knows how to check the timing well check it. Cause i thought it was good on mine. but eric said it was at like 10. Remember getting the ecu in timing mode on an pre94 and auto is a real pain. the TPS is the 3 wire connector i think, id have to look again tho

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok ok timing .. so I bought a light but here's the problem.. I can't find any marks to save my life.. where should they be? on the motor itself or what?

thanks guys

·
Bad Banana
1,411 Posts
On the passenger side of the engine are your belts and pullies. Pull out the resevoir for your coolant and point the timing light towards the ground at the bottom pulley.

There are your marks.

The marks are from back of the car forward .... 5, 10, 15, 17, 19, 21

Dave
'93 NX2000 with freshly adjusted timing, what a difference!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually on my NX ('92) it doesn't have the same marks as Loe Lyf stated, check SE-R net and compare the marks. That way if you car has either one of these markings, you'll be prepared.

Just print out the instructions for the timing procedure from SE-R net to be on the safe side. The location they give for the TPS is not accurate, they made it sound like it was below the brake master cylinder. It is a three prong connector (on my car it is brown) and its below and to the left of the brake master cylinder if you are looking at it from the front of the car.

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
ok guys, same problem with my nx. floor it off the start, it bogs down, and right after i got the pop! did the pop screw my timing? and if i get the timing adjusted, will i see a big difference? thnaks-aaron

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
yep, just adjust your timing to 17, or 19 degrees like i did, i felt a noticeable difference and my timing was already set at 15. Just remember, whenever you bump your timing, the sacrifice is having to get at least 89+ octane gas for 17 degrees, and 91+ for 19 degrees or more. If you dont use better gas, then that will result in pinging and possibly detonation which is a no no for your engine. Use premium, and you will be fine. It gets better gas mielage anyway.

------------------
1992 NX2000
White
K&N Cone intake, Bosal Performance muffler and 2.25" cat back

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all,

Well I adjusted mine and ended up dealing with the lame off the line power.. I don't have the patience anymore with this thing... I put the timing at 18 and it is a little better however I probably couldn't even squeel the tires if my life depended on it.. at a light when I floor is bam rpms stick between 1500 and 2000 then after a solid 4 sec of that and sittin looking lame in the intersection the car hits 2500 and gets goin as it should.. lame hope someday i'll be able to find out the real issue...

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
okay then ill look into getting the timing checked and adjusted if needed. any ideas as to where i can go to get this done without too heavy of a price? i know nissan would really kill me pricewise.....??

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
by the way, if i get the timing changed to 19 then would i notice any other differences across the rpm band? i know it should help the off-the-line torque, but will i lose any anywhere else?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
It gives you hp in the entire rev band. If you dont like paying for premium i would limit yourself to 17degrees btdc. Ive heard its ok to go 17 with 89, even tho I probaly wouldnt do that. Im on 15 and just by habbit i use 89. But with an nx and its propensity to get hotter than normal I would probaly be real conservative.

15 on mine feels really good. Im sure 17 would feel better, but I dont want to use premium gas. Uhhh ask around see if there are any list members near you, they could help. Find out if there are any mechanics that have done a lot of Nissan work. Then at worse talk to the techs at Nissan. Make sure you are in good with one and you can trust him. Make sure he does the full procedure on how to set the timeing. If he just points the light at the crank and turning the distributre then hes doing little to nothing...

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
thanks alot bowlcut.......sounds like no ones ever really had it at 19? would 19 be alot better than 17? and what are there any bad side effects besides the premium gas thing?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
How did you adjust the timeing? did you make sure it was in timeing mode? Cause if you didnt, its not really at 18. If you did it totaly correct, then Id probaly get a fellow se-r person check it just incase eyes have been known to be wrong as were mine. Then if that still doesnt fix it, could be a few other things, but I will bet its still a timing issue. You just never really noticed the difference till you put the pop on. I didnt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I'll mess with it again... Maybe I wasn't in timing mode... Anyone get the knob on the back of the timing light?

thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts