SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, 4 laps into a hotlapping day in Pahrump, NV (near Vegas), the motor let go and I got to test the extinguisher (some oil made it under the car and caught fire). Put the car back on the trailer and went home the next morning...

I took the header off (among other things), and found this still on top of it:

****'ll buff out... :D

And found this on our Gen VI (which I had to remake the 3" section of because it didn't clear the P10 crossmember very well):

I'll have to get a dent puller, pull it out, then weld the hole in.

Looking underneath, you can see some real carnage:

Luckily the girdle and upper pan took most of the impact, otherwise I'd be remaking the header...

If you look, you can see the piston, sans wrist pin casting (we found that on the crossmember). You can also see a really burned up rod journal.

Hole coming out the side:

So, my theory is the rod bearing burned up from either a lack of oil (maybe the oiling got clogged? Sump went dry?) or something else and didn't immediately kill the rod; instead the interference pulled the wrist pin casting out of the bottom of the piston (the spark plug on that cylinder is flattened, but not shot to hell like it would be from a detonation exploded engine) and then the free rod spun around like a labrador's tail and took out all kinds of other ****.

Either way, good times. I'm just glad I could put the car out and it didn't ruin some newly purchased items installed on this motor...

·
VE 96 SE-R
2,762 Posts
damn. you and Martin are the masters at blowin' sh*t up. i'm glad you guys did the blowin' and not me. :tongue:
who was driving?

·
i love b13's !
8,012 Posts
that sucks rockwood. i didnt know u had a track worthy n/a de. do tell more about the set up and car.

stratton.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car has been covered on NPM...

But, in short:

Custom valved Koni 3011 monotubes, 750F/500R spring rates, whiteline bar, Gen VI header, C3 cams, JWT ECU, HS CAI, 3" exhaust dumping underneath, full cage built by Revenge Motorsports, Custom Steel solid aluminum subframe bushings and shift stabilizer, etc, etc, etc...

For more:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/g20racecar.php

And there will be some stuff on Moto IQ when it comes out...

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the same engine you recently blew up or the new one with 0 miles?
Same engine I recently blew up. Does that oil varnish look like a 0 mile motor? ****, looks more like your lungs, Malboro man... :D

Besides, if that was the 0 mile motor, it would be my executor of estate posting these pics, not me, as I would've shot myself...

·
i love b13's !
8,012 Posts
Car has been covered on NPM...

But, in short:

Custom valved Koni 3011 monotubes, 750F/500R spring rates, whiteline bar, Gen VI header, C3 cams, JWT ECU, HS CAI, 3" exhaust dumping underneath, full cage built by Revenge Motorsports, Custom Steel solid aluminum subframe bushings and shift stabilizer, etc, etc, etc...

For more:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/g20racecar.php

And there will be some stuff on Moto IQ when it comes out...
very nice set up.

a few more questions wich may have been covered in the articles but i must have missed them.

whats the whp ? what does it redline at ? stock bottom ? any plans for the new motor ?

stratton.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not sure on WHP, I never had a chance to dyno it. I was, however, able to keep my friend's VVL equipped Sentra (which is stripped down even more than our car) and my other friend's ~210 whp EG hatchback from pulling me in the straights. So, I assume about 180whp. It was pulling pretty hard revving to 8000 rpm.

The bottom end was stock, as is the new motor, but I will be installing some ARP rod bolts into the new motor to help prevent this. I will also be overfilling the crankcase and installing an oil cooler to keep the temps down from the overfilled case...

Plan is (time permitting) to break the motor in on the dyno, then run it to see what it makes.

·
i love b13's !
8,012 Posts
cool, i may have something ud be intrested in. i have a crank scraper, its brand new, has surface rust do to me leaving it in my shed. i maybe have the nuts and bolts some where but if not im sure you could come up with them.

if your intrested make an offer and its yours its been sitting for over 2 years, surface rust just started maybe 4 months ago, just sand blast it or whatever.

stratton.

·
70/30 Racing
2,372 Posts
The bottom end was stock, as is the new motor, but I will be installing some ARP rod bolts into the new motor to help prevent this. I will also be overfilling the crankcase and installing an oil cooler to keep the temps down from the overfilled case...
What's all this "I" **** :D Cool, see you at the track holmes :rofl:

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "I" **** means I will be doing it because I've got nothing but time holmes... :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Rockwood, how many of these things have you broken? I'm on number 5. I just started breaking these things in November. I thought I had an electrical problem. My car shutoff at Willow and I had Paule and Kojima helping me figure out why I didn't have spark. Yesterday I found out why I had no spark. The cams weren't turning. The timing chain snapped so I had no spark. The motor was spining and sounded totally normal. So it's back to the drawing board. Number 6!!!

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Rockwood, how many of these things have you broken? I'm on number 5. I just started breaking these things in November. I thought I had an electrical problem. My car shutoff at Willow and I had Paule and Kojima helping me figure out why I didn't have spark. Yesterday I found out why I had no spark. The cams weren't turning. The timing chain snapped so I had no spark. The motor was spining and sounded totally normal. So it's back to the drawing board. Number 6!!!
Damn! We're nowhere near that unlucky.

Here's the tally so far:

Original 130k+mile motor let go because we forgot to tighten the distributor, whoops.

Second motor is still operational, but one of the cam journal oil holes got clogged, so it would've munched our brand new cams if we installed them.

The motor pictured here is #3.

If #4 lets go like this, I'll cry.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, did you throw any rocker arms? Was this a new motor, or a junkyard one?

·
Registered
65 Posts
This was a junkyard JDM motor. Garden variety silvertop. It snapped one rocker arm. It apparently floated a valve and it stuck. The force seems to have snapped the rocker arm and the timing chain simultaneously. Oddly none of us noticed because it spins normally when you try to start it. I think my header lets these things breath so deep that I can't seem to keep em off the rev limiter. I'm going to put the full race springs in the next one.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I highly recommend some sort of springs.

When're you going to race it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts