SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had any experience with the Turbo Xs dual stage boost controller, the one that switches between 2 preset levels of boost from the driver's seat? Would this be a good alternative to an electronic boost controller? Or should I just save up more money to get a decent electronic one? Thanks for the help.

Justin

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have not personally used that device, however I have heard good things about it. It offers a good perfomance, and is a good deal cheaper than electronic units. Most of the time you only need two boost settings anyway. A lot of guys with the electronic ones just set and forget. However, if you are the figity type who likes to switch things up a lot, you might like the electronic units. If you are on a budget, you can also use the electronic units as a boost gauge, they look good in the interior too! Hehe.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Zak;

If you would care to enlighten me (nitrous junkie learnin' about turbos), explain what each of the controls on your Profec-B does, please.

Thanks!

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERprise In WV:
Zak;

If you would care to enlighten me (nitrous junkie learnin' about turbos), explain what each of the controls on your Profec-B does, please.

Thanks!

</font>
Yes please explain Zak. I'd like to know more about the profec-b.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am currently running a 2-stage boost controller
with good luck. Just flip the switch and you
have more boost. I intalled the two stage controller
because of difficulty in getting the Blitz DSBC to
work properly. I've had no prob's with the 2-stage.

Matt

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to go with the Turbo XS dual stage controller and like it so far.

Matt - are you also using the Turbo XS controller or another one?

Have you (or any one else) had a problem with the boost spiking when you first get on the gas? For example, when I punch it the boost will spike up to about 9 or so lbs and then drop down and stay at about 7. This is with the second stage setting. I have the first stage set to what the wastegate (Tial 35mm) is set at, which is 5 lbs. Is this a common problem with manual controllers (or electronic ones)? Should I worry about it? Thanks.

Justin

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply earlier... I must not have seen this thread or something. Anyway, as to how the Profec-B works -

The Balance knob is something I have yet to play with. Allegedly it makes a difference as far as how the boost comes on, hard or soft. So I don't know yet about that. As far as the other two, Lo Boost and Hi Boost, they are knobs for two different ranges of boost. Lo Boost is adjustable from 10 psi (which is what my wastegate spring is) to about 14 psi. Hi boost is adjustable from I think about 14 psi to as high as your wastegate will allow.

In that picture, Lo boost would be about 10-11 psi and Hi boost would be about 14. There's a Select button, and that's what switches the controller between Lo boost and Hi boost. Ultimately what I want to do is get that Sparco steering wheel with two buttons on it, and wire one of the buttons to that Select button. That way I can change boost levels right on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The two stage controller I'm using isn't from TurboXS. It's from an Australian company but looks exactly like the turboxs unit.

As far as boost spiking between stages I do experience that but I think my problem lies in that my dump pipe might not be large enough diameter to allow full dumping when switching over. Basically I think a larger/wider pipe would solve that

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Zak91SER said:
Sorry I didn't reply earlier... I must not have seen this thread or something. Anyway, as to how the Profec-B works -

The Balance knob is something I have yet to play with. Allegedly it makes a difference as far as how the boost comes on, hard or soft. So I don't know yet about that. As far as the other two, Lo Boost and Hi Boost, they are knobs for two different ranges of boost. Lo Boost is adjustable from 10 psi (which is what my wastegate spring is) to about 14 psi. Hi boost is adjustable from I think about 14 psi to as high as your wastegate will allow.

In that picture, Lo boost would be about 10-11 psi and Hi boost would be about 14. There's a Select button, and that's what switches the controller between Lo boost and Hi boost. Ultimately what I want to do is get that Sparco steering wheel with two buttons on it, and wire one of the buttons to that Select button. That way I can change boost levels right on the steering wheel.
Really? Man that really blows my thinking of how it worked. That stinks. I wanted to set my lo side for as low as the wastegate was set for obviously and set the hi side for 10-11 lbs, which is the max I can run on the street with pump gas and no water injection.

Great now I am depressed. :(

·
Registered
521 Posts
problems??

porboy44 said:
I am currently running a 2-stage boost controller
with good luck. Just flip the switch and you
have more boost. I intalled the two stage controller
because of difficulty in getting the Blitz DSBC to
work properly. I've had no prob's with the 2-stage.

Matt

What kind of problems were you having so I know what to look out for, dammit I hope mine works right and doesn't start to screw up.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
I wanted to set my lo side for as low as the wastegate was set for obviously and set the hi side for 10-11 lbs, which is the max I can run on the street with pump gas and no water injection.
All is not lost... for one thing, I doubt it'll be exactly the same on your setup, unless you have the same setup I do... I have a Tial 40mm wastegate with a 10 psi spring. Your "Hi" dial might dial down as low as 10 psi. But even if it doesn't, just use the power button on the controller instead. When you turn the boost controller off, it defaults to the wastegate spring setting. If you leave the controller on Lo set to 11 psi or something, that's what it'll go to when you turn it on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts