SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading an article in the latest SCC that talked about the bore and stroke of the maxima. this got me thinking...do all sr20's (US) have the same bore/stroke?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I believe boreXstroke is 3.39 X 3.39 in

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I would think they do, because if one changed the other would have to change as well in order to maintain 2.0L of displacement.. And I haven't heard anyone talking about different pistons in different year SR20's.

Although I *have* heard about people boring out their sr20's to be 2.2L...

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
not really boring, but stroking. JUN makes a stroker kit that is nice and affordable. titanium crank, rods, pistons, ect. about 5k. JWT is also rumored to be in development of a kit about half that price and make just as much hp. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm stroker kit w/ tt z pistons and a nice little stage 2 fmax kit w/ boost turned up a bit. probably get ok hp out of that :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$5000 ?? damn, it w/b cheaper to go turbo! hopefully JWT will bring out a stroker kit for like $1500. no boring, correct? just stroking? i don't want to bore out the cylinder walls. the stock sr20de head will not be affected? would bigger valves be needed? i'm wanting an all motor build up first, then if time and $$ allow, a turbo or nitrous.

also, on the 2000 2.0L, is nissan using the newly tweeked de in the motherland still and turboed? is the block cast iron or aluminum. i thought it was aluminum, but i remember reading somewhere they were cast iron. i may be confusing it with another nissan car. i'm suffering from inf overload trying to decide what is the best and cost effective toy. (z, zx, 240sx, or sentra)also am trying to see which one has the most aftermarket availability. it seems the z or zx @ this point.

any comments welcome and thanks for the help so far!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
aluminum

Whaddya mean Z or ZX? Z is just short for ZX :) And yeah they have more aftermarket cuz they've been around a LOT longer than any other car you've mentioned.

The hardest thing about turboing a 2k SR20DE is that I doubt JWT has any clue yet of how to reprogram your ECU yet so you basically couldn't turbo your car without being an absolute expert with a Apex S-AFC or something.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the question on the 2000 was just an inquiry @ this point. can't do any internals til the warranty expires. the ecu would be the last step i do after cams, headers, etc...

i did see some 280's and 300's on ebay but nothing locally. i'll have to keep stoppin in @ the z doctor periodically to see what's for sale.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I'm actually going and looking at an 85 300ZX turbo today in the paper for $500. Only problem is it doesn't start is what the guy tells me. If the turbo is ok (blades turn smoothly and no play in the shaft) and timing chain is ok, my dad think he will invest the $500 so I can get it running well and sell it for ~$3-4k or so. I'll let you know how it's going.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5k$ for a 2.2l stroker kit and you call that affordable? Geez, for that kind of money I'm sure I could get a VQ30DE installed in my car :) (now that would be fun!)

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
I believe the DET has an iron block? I know DE is Alum. Vq30de in a Sentra? No thanks
would pull the rear tires off the ground when you hit the brakes way too much weight up front!!!! $5K stroker kit? high but I bet it sounds sweet turning about 7500 rpms
. I think I'd go chase some Hype R butt , hhmmmmm might even smoke me a NSX , man that would be so Funny!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts