SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some old SCC magazines last night, and I ran across the one with the $tillen turbo car in it. In one of the pics, the BOV vents to the atmostphere. I thought this was a no-no. Maybe this is why the car ran like crap, and Stillen said you can't make a turbo kit for the SR20. Any thoughts?

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Open BOV on a MAF sensor equiped car will cause a rich condition. If you were using something like a JWT setup, this would not be the best way to have the BOV. If you were doing standalone (without a MAF), this would probably be fine.

------------------
David
Boosted '98 Super Black SE
Sentra on Steroids

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not boosting the car(yet). I just saw this article and the picture and I thought it was funny. The Stillen car used a STillen(JWT) ECU, so this would account for the car not running right, and them saying that a street legal turbo kit is not possible. This was a '97 article. It's amazing how much things have changed since then.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Typical $tealin. If this is done enough (BOV dumped into atmosphere on MAF car) the rich condition can become so bad that it can start to wash the oil off of the cylinder walls! This can eventually lead to engine failure.

------------------
David
Sentra on Steroids

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
You recirculate the air coming out of the BOV back into the intake tract. You don't *need* one, but it's only to your advantage to have one. The main advantage to having one is extended turbo life. Plus you get that cool Psssshhhh sound

------------------
David
Sentra on Steroids

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
I remember reading that BOV's only make that crazy purge sound if they are not adjusted properly.

And the recirculated air must be routed into the intake AFTER the MAF as it is air that has already been "accounted for" by the MAF.

late,
wes

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wes:
I remember reading that BOV's only make that crazy purge sound if they are not adjusted properly</font>
Hmmm, never heard that before.. Mine is pretty loud, but then again, I think it's adjusted a bit too soft. But, every BOV I've heard has always been a bit loud; even the stock DET BOV. And you're right, the recirculated air must be returned after the MAF.

------------------
David
Sentra on Steroids

1 - 9 of 9 Posts