SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, the pads we put on are not stopping as fast as they used to. we have bled them, we changed pads (napa premium to raybestos). on the fronts i have raybestos blue, and on the rear i have black oriely. these are just pads. but, they should've improved stopping over the down to metal old pads, but they don't.

any reason why?

------------------
feature your se-r or other car on my site!
http://www.geocities.com/myfastser/

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Did you bed them correctly? If you didnt thats probaly your problem, glazed them right off the bat and probaly getting green fade alot. Change your rotors or had them surfaced?

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
I have the same problem with my NX when I changed the pads my car takes longer to stop too... I'm thinking that I need a caliper rebuild and new rotors, I had my old pads worn down pretty far.

My parents altima and my bro's 200sx stops better than my NX right now.

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
Did you bed them correctly? If you didnt thats probaly your problem, glazed them right off the bat and probaly getting green fade alot. Change your rotors or had them surfaced?</font>
well we did it at home, and i believe we did. got a lot of air and crappy brake fluid out at least.
is "bed" a typo or what? the rotors were surfaced, but it looks like the back ones weren't or the "bed" dealy is killing it.

the

------------------
feature your se-r or other car on my site!
http://www.geocities.com/myfastser/

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Beddding i said bed yes not a typo. You have to bed your brakes. You do some 30 to 4mph slow downs real easy like 10 seconds to do that. there is a write up on se-r.net from Mike about it. If you dont you will not get the best out of your brakes or the life of them. Take them off and see if they are glazed. Cause Im guess you changed pads, bled the system went out on the road floored it to 60 and slammed the brakes on. They bit pretty good then faded. That was green fade. Then you probaly glazed them. What I usualy do to old cars i dont car about
is take the pad and rub it on concrete, close to heavy grit sandpaper
Then go bed the brakes. bedding the back ones just use the hand brake. Thats if you just replace the rears just slow the car down with the hand brake. But dont go like trying to drift or drag them either. Just slow the car down some just like the beding instructions.

Unless you are leaking fluid doubt a rebuild will help. All a rebuild is, is changing the seals inside the piston out and maybe the piston if its boogered up. If you are leaking fluid then yea a rebuild is neccesary. Wouldnt hurt but not like a rebuild alone with improve much. Make sure everything is slideing well with good grease. Make sure plenty of pad left. And rebleed it, I did mine and they were good, Eric did it and it was 10 times better. Sometimes you get a good bleed then sometimes you dont, if you arent an expert at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts