SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for all the road racers out there (if there are any). What pads do you use? Here's the materials I've used on the stock brakes: Carbotech Panther, Hawk HT8, and KFP Gold. The Hawk HT8 was the best. With the NX2000 brakes, so far I've only used EBC Redstuff. It sucked.

So, I know Hawk Blue is the ticket. But Hawk doesn't make any pads for the SE-R or NX2000. Carbotech will make a set of pads with Hawk material, but they glue and rivit the material to the backing plate (which I hate!). Porterfield will make beutiful pads out of Hawk material, and also will charge me a King's ransom for them. Is there any other company out there that I've never heard of that makes good track pads? Or, have you found anyone to make some pads from Hawk Blue material that won't charge a bazillion dollars?

Thanks,
Matt

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 03-14-2001).]

·
Registered
705 Posts
What bout axxis Metal Masters? try them yet? Otherwise i would go with the Porterfields.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPWSER:
What bout axxis Metal Masters? try them yet? Otherwise i would go with the Porterfields.
</font>
Axxis Metal Masters are street pads and won't even last a day at the track (with my driving, that is.)

I use Porterfield R-4 pads for the track (I have NX brakes.) I've used them for 2 track days so far and they're holding up just fine. I'm not aggressive enough on the brakes for the Hawk Blue compound, but aggressive enough to kill street pads in one day. Some of the road racing SE-R guys out here in CA use Carbotech's version of the Hawk Blue pads with good results. I would recommend the Porterfield R-4 and the Hawk Blue (Carbotech for AD22VF) for track use.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R w/stuff
1993 NX2000 w/o stuff

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did the nx brake upgrade a year ago and still have the same metal master pads in!

On these pads I went to Thunderhill raceway in california for a track day, no fade, great feel all day long, I used these pads for numerous **thrashings** on back countryroads at ridiculiously high speeds all through the summer, I used these same pads last october for a track day a PIR in Portland, Oregon. Again no fade, and great feel.

I will finally change these pads next week, because I'm going to a track day at PIR March 30th.

Can't really compare with the others listed above, because I haven't used anything else yet. Just telling you about my experiences with these. Good chance the others are better.

Oh yeah, was able to brake just as hard and stop just as short as the bmw's, porsches, etc. :)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I just suck it up and pay the $$$ for the Porterfield R-4's.
I get about two trackdays out of them.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Is that 2 DAYS or 2 WEEKENDS?

Matt
</font>
After 2 days, the pads are pretty much gone. I can sometimes still use them for another session or two at a later event.

MetalMasters will last until you start going faster.
I used them for my first track events and never had problems. Then I suddenly started having the pads crumble around the edges. Joe Henderson had the pad material crumble compeltely apart one time when he took them off the caliper.

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slow (aka Pat)

That's with the stock brakes right? I would get Hawk pads to last 2 events (4 days) on stock brakes. Hmmm, you must be faster than me

Anywho, I'd expect Ports to last twice as long as normal with the NX2K brakes, especially with splash shields removed and ducting.

Decisions, decisions...

Looks like I'm going to have to go through Porterfield anyway, I might as well get the Hawk material which I know is awesome!

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Slow (aka Pat)

That's with the stock brakes right? I would get Hawk pads to last 2 events (4 days) on stock brakes. Hmmm, you must be faster than me
</font>
Yeah, stock brakes, SE-R with 150hp to the wheels.

------------------

·
RE-F/ING-TIRED:)
1,318 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
Axxis Metal Masters are street pads and won't even last a day at the track (with my driving, that is.)

I use Porterfield R-4 pads for the track (I have NX brakes.) I've used them for 2 track days so far and they're holding up just fine. I'm not aggressive enough on the brakes for the Hawk Blue compound, but aggressive enough to kill street pads in one day. Some of the road racing SE-R guys out here in CA use Carbotech's version of the Hawk Blue pads with good results. I would recommend the Porterfield R-4 and the Hawk Blue (Carbotech for AD22VF) for track use.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R w/stuff
1993 NX2000 w/o stuff
</font>
how do you think the r4s'(street compound) would hold up on the track? i'm considering those for my ad22's for a lapping session at the end of this month. i know the raybestos pads won't work cuz i fried them the last time on a track (y2k convention)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teal97:
how do you think the r4s'(street compound) would hold up on the track? i'm considering those for my ad22's for a lapping session at the end of this month. i know the raybestos pads won't work cuz i fried them the last time on a track (y2k convention)
</font>
I haven't personally used Porterfield R4S pads. I do know of people that have used them on the track. Some got them to last for a few track days. Others killed them after one day. I guess it would really depend on how hard you are on the brakes. I absolutely love late braking, and I run race tires (Kumho V700) on the track, so street pads won't do the duty for me. There was one person, however, that ran Raybestos pads and got them to last quite a while, and he's really fast! Might be because he drives a 2100lb hatchback (Honda Civic w/B16A) with more than enough braking power (Integra GS-R brakes) that he really has no use for race pads, and he drives on street tires.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
I have used the following pads on the track.

Metal Masters @ Willow Springs. That was my first track event and they lasted well and never faded. but the track is not hard on th brakes.

Porterfield R4S @ Button Willow. I was very hard on the brakes. No fade at all. They lasted. but when I checked them at home, I found that they have crumbled around the edges.

Carbotech Panther Pads. I tried those twice @ ButtonWillow. They do not last more than three lap days at most. Two lap days to be on the dafe side. The knock on these combo street and track pads is that they do not last. Carbotech has a new panther pad. It is supposdely as good as the Hawk Blue that they make and lasts longer than the older pad. It was due in Feb. It should be out by now. Larry was raving about it.

Carbotech Hawk Blue. I tried those at the last track event. I set the fastest time of any SE-R ever @ ButtonWillow, a 2:11. The pads performed great. There is enough life in them for another weekend. I love those pads.

All of the above events werer for the whole weekend.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nj1266: where did you get the Blues from? Carbotech? Are they still glued and rivited together?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Duh...I reread you post and aswered my own question. You did get them from Carbotech. But I'd still like to know if they are still glued and rivited together.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Duh...I reread you post and aswered my own question. You did get them from Carbotech. But I'd still like to know if they are still glued and rivited together.

Thanks,
Matt
</font>
Yes, I just checked and they are glued and riveted. but why is that an issue for you? They work just fine regardless of riveting and glueing. Did you have a bad experience with that?

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts