SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '91 SE-R, and my friend just got a '92 NX2000.

we are both experience a slight, but annoying problem with our brakes. Here's the scenario: when the brakes are stepped on initially, the pedal feels spongy and coarse. release it and immediately depress it again, and it feels nice, tight, and smooth--not to mention it stops better.

the problem is more pronounced on my car than the NX, but i just put on new rotors and pads. any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

-Chris

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
It might be time to bleed the brakes. A thorough, proper bleeding of the brake fluid makes a big difference in pedal feel. From there, you can adjust the pedal freeplay to engage the brakes with less travel.

If you haven't already, change the brake fluid, too.

This tells about the fluid ratings:
http://www.se-r.net/brakes/fluid.html

I've used Valvoline DOT 3/4 in my near-stock '92 and not had any problems with fluid fade during track lapping sessions, so it would work great for the street. You can get it at Wal-Mart for cheap, too.

A well-bled, well-adjusted brake setup with fresh fluid is worth the effort.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
What they said. Bleeding brakes is pretty cheap and easy. I've solved several phantom brake issues in the past by bleeding brakes. If it doesn't do anything to help, you've lost very little money and time.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

1 - 4 of 4 Posts