SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

2 weeks ago I replaced my brakes on my NX. They needed it badly. I got pads and rotors all around.

here is my question. I had the parts guy order the ones for abs.. Did all NX'en have abs. This is a 93.

Also I really had to squeeze the rear pads in to get them in. Has anyone else had this problem? I think they were just never replaced during the whole cars life so there was a lot of oxidation and so forth, but maybe I should have gotten different pads?

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Dunno about if all NXen had abs.... but.. the rear calipers have to have the pistons "turned" back in before the new pads go in...
they make a special tool for it, bvut if you have some patience you can use a pair of needle nose pliers.
later

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I'm talking about in the actual brake pad carrier. (torque member) They fit tight in there, I know about twisting the piston as you push it in.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not all NX's had ABS
it was an option as a power package
if you have power windows and locks you got ABS
at least this is the way it was for the 93

Mine does not have abs, or power windows & locks

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 1993 NX has power windows and locks but no antilock brakes. :confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Um... Yup! My '93 has all options except ABS. In 1993, T-tops were standard on the NX2K. I believe the power package included power windwos, door locks, and Cruise. ABS was a separate option.

Why didn't the '93 come with a leather wrapped steering wheel? AFAIK, the '91 did and so did the SE-R's!

Ben

·
Registered
484 Posts
from an actual '93 NX2000/1600 brochure...

ABS is an option on the nx2k BUT it requires the power package.
the power package includes power windows, door locks and cruise control.
from wat i see, in 93 the only options for the NX2k are as follows..
4speed slush box
ABS
AC
and the power package

Alex

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've never seen what the ABS distrubution block looks like for SR powerd Cars so Ill take a crack at it.

Somwhere in the Engine bay near the Driver side you should
have some metal box with a bunch of metal lines runing to and fro.

It would be in line after the Master Cylinder.

I would think you would know if it had it or not. expecialy having an Slush box (auto) when your at a stop and you slowly let off the break and the car starts to move forward you should feel the jitters.(well this works for amarican cars)

I may be talking out of my A$$ though

Maybe someone else can chime in

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok then, say you bought NX brake parts for abs and you don't have it. What were the differences? I compared rotors and they looked to be the same size. The pads seemed the same as well...

What were the differences between abs and non abs for brake parts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im not sure what the difference would be if any.
I know that the Drive shafts are ABS/Non ABS because they have little teeth looking things on the ABS ones. But I dont think the actual Pads and rotors are any different.

·
Registered
484 Posts
where you trying to do the big brake upgrade? if so, you needed the JDM brakes. go to the parts store and when they ask you if your NX was built in japan, say yes.

·
8,148 Posts
david said:
no I'm talking about in the actual brake pad carrier. (torque member) They fit tight in there, I know about twisting the piston as you push it in.
You should have taken the 12mm bolts out and lubed them with something like CRC Synthetic Caliper Grease. Thats what i do. But do not over lube them. You will push the dustboot out with too much grease.

·
Registered
484 Posts
hey ian, do you have any more NXeyelids? im thinking i would like to have a set. good pic from the convention BTW :) i might have some of you on my video tape.

Alex

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no no, not that. I'm talking about where you push the pads in. they fit tight there. Actually trying to squeeze them in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts