SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your opinion on brakes. I'm thinking of getting Drilled and Slotted Rotors and new front stock calipers and new back pads the calipers seem to be fine. Please give me your input, I admire your opinion. My budget could go higher, like I love the Wilwood setup that JGY has, but I don't think I could install it myself and the rear brakes don't come in the kit that costs 700.00. I also hear that NX2000 front calipers are a good up grade but would they bolt right on because if so I'll just buy them at Autozone or Advanced.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
i'm not really impressed with drilled rotors, the holes seem to develope cracks and they are a bitch to turn

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
the ad22vfs are a great upgrade. tons of info if you search. I'd stay away from x-drilled. they tend to crack and don't do anything for performance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. All the opinions here are helpful. I think I'm going NX2000 Calipers and Rotors and stock rear. Hopefully I'll have enought for the Stainless Steel Brake Lines. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
^^^ Yep, the NK2K brakes are a really good upgrade for the price. If you need any help putting them on - you can always make another trip down here. BTW - I thought you were selling your car on autotrader? What was going on with that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also thought about the Willwood setup but thought finding the parts will be difficult. Plus the rears won't look as good..
So I installed the ADV22VF (New from Nismo). I tried to buy them refurb from the local auto parts shops but ran into many problems. Mostely of them being confused. One shop gave me two different calipers... one shop didn't have all the hardware so it was useless... I got fustrated, you can imagine all the time putting stuff back on and driving around. So I spent about $700 on the Nismo kit. The kit comes with solid rotors but work as good as my X-drilled Brembos. The only reason I went with the brembos because with my rims you can easily see my rotors. SAVE YOURSELF SOME TIME AND CHECK THE HARDWARE, AND MAKE SURE ADV22VF ARE STAMPED ON BOTH THEM.
I have the X-Drilled rotors but think the Slotted ones are better. The X-Drilled rotors buzz alot..
If you don't have Stainless Steel brake lines yet, I recommend them over the the rotor upgrade.
Man you'll notice the increase in braking power... even with stock pads and rotors which are by the way, over 1" thick!!!
I took a bunch of install pics, e-mail me if you want them... [email protected]

Good luck... :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car is on autotrader but for a ridiculus price. When do you want to do the brakes I'll come down when I get the replacements, warning my car is quiet now. And I have duck tape on my smashed bumper.

·
Sportbike fevah
1,003 Posts
Creagach said:
i'm not really impressed with drilled rotors, the holes seem to develope cracks and they are a bitch to turn
And furthermore, stock sized powerslots on the rear
of my B13 cracked like the flimsy little bitches they
are. 234mm x 7mm does *not* a rugged rotor make.

Being that rotors are basically nothing more than heat
sinks, I'd advise against *anything* that removes metal
from them on even a track vehicle. Get pads good
enough to not fade on you, but don't remove material
from the heat sink.

That's my $.02, anyway.

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts