SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a little concerned with my braking system because, first and foremost, they emit a little squeal when i go gently on the brakes. secondly it has almost no feel to it and they also stop like asss. i know the problem can probably be traced to the fluids (that probably hasn't been changed since forever) so i don't know of SS brake lines are really necessary or not.

So I'm either getting new pads w/ a fluid change or SS lines w/ a fluid change. Which would you recommend for me to do first?

and also, what pads are good? and from what store or retailer? same goes for the lines. i've also got a big bottle of valvoline syn

·
Registered
765 Posts
get a good set of pads and some synthetic brake fluid. dont worry about the lines.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I agree. For me though, once the DET is done, I will be going the NX2000 setup route to stop the power hog! I would go the BABK but Brian from courtesy said he had some probelms and I think getting the NX setup for half the BABK is good enough for me! :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some problems? i think brian had alot of damn problems. or maybe he just made them up as an excuse for not showing up to our meets :p

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well the SMC is cool and all, but unless you are hard core I dont see a need for it. AD22VF's are cool, but if you arent hard on brakes no real need for them. Id get a good set of pads, Factory works great if you dont do alot of racing, and good fluid. If your car is mainly a daily driver on the road what i usualy recomend is stock pads and valvoline syntec fluid. And change that fluid every year. If you read your manual you are susposed to change the fluid every 4 oil changes i think. Squeeking like that usualy means need new pads sometime soon. if you are hard on brakes(as it seems i am with the auto) then get the ad22vf's. lines will help the fell a little, but dont expect a day and night difference. I have the stock pads and valvoline fluid, feel good and stop hard. need new pads i think...been a little over a year now. Main thing is getting a good bleed. I swear I can bleed all day and cant get them feeling like eric does.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright ill see if i can get them bled. the thing is that, according to the previous owner, the brakes should have only about under 10k miles on them. yet they squeak if i depress them lightly. if i get on them hard then they will not sound. i figured that he might've forgotten to change the fluid when he changed the pads and that would explain for the dull feel but then again all of his maintenance is done at the dealership. i figured i might get some pads anyways. what are you using and did you replace all 4s?

edit: i dont race or drive hard AT ALL but it wouldnt hurt to have capable brakes for emergency manuevers :)

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
I've got the NX brakes, SS lines, and an Altima MC. Solid brake pads, will make a pretty noticable difference. Don't worry about the lines unless you have the money to spend.

My 2c.

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Even with brand new brake pads, you might squeel. The culprit is the retaining clips which act like tuning forks. WHen you brake, they vibrate at a very high frequency. What works really well for me is when I put on new brake pads, I get this Permatex Disc Brake Quiet stuff. $5 at Kragen or something. Spray a liberal amount on the backing plate of the pads. Then put the shim metal plates on top of the blue stuff. Make sure the blue stuff is dry first though. Works like a charm.

Oh yeah, regarding the SS lines, I would get them especially if you have a classic. Because after all these years, do you trust the rubber to still last?

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Limited Slip said:
some problems? i think brian had alot of damn problems. or maybe he just made them up as an excuse for not showing up to our meets :p
man, let me put my cup on first, that was low :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
92SE-R said:
Even with brand new brake pads, you might squeel. The culprit is the retaining clips which act like tuning forks. WHen you brake, they vibrate at a very high frequency. What works really well for me is when I put on new brake pads, I get this Permatex Disc Brake Quiet stuff. $5 at Kragen or something. Spray a liberal amount on the backing plate of the pads. Then put the shim metal plates on top of the blue stuff. Make sure the blue stuff is dry first though. Works like a charm.

I use Anti Seize on the back of the pads between the shims and I have never had any make noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts