SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My Car is My Mistress
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about upgrading my front brakes to the nx2000 calipers and rotors. My crossed drilled rotors have alot of hair line cracks in them and in some spots completely cracked. I was looking on the sr20de.net and they said to use a nx2000 master cylinder. Has anybody done this upgrade and kept their stock master cylinder? Is there anything else I should consider?

------------------
92ser h/i/e ecu and some other goodies

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">sr20deMike asked:
My crossed drilled rotors have alot of hair line cracks in them and in some spots completely cracked.</font>
Welcome to the reason most in the know don't run cross-drilled rotors... Sorry you had to find out after shelling out (probably) $100/rotor.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You also asked:
...use a nx2000 master cylinder. Has anybody done this upgrade and kept their stock master cylinder?</font>
Many have gone this route and advocate it, yes. I've driven cars with AD22VF calipers with the stock MC and the NX2k MC aggressively - I feel the balance, proportioning, and modulation is better with the NX2k MC. After all, isn't that why Nissan provided it to begin with? Their engineers know a hell of a lot more than I do.

When I bought the caliper kit, I spoke with Nissan Motorsports directly (Ron? I forget, it's been a l-o-n-g time) and asked them this very question, balking at the extra cost of the MC. They stated that the AD22VF calipers were bigger, hence required the different MC, otherwise front-to-rear brake bias would be fubar'ed. I can attest to good balance (and balanced wear) on the track with the NX2k MC.

As always, YMMV; others here no doubt will tell you the stock MC is just fine and they've run it for years with no problems.

Other things to consider? Like what? Other upgrades?

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ive done it and kept the stock mc. balance is ok, for street driving. if you are a 8+/10ths driver on track then maybe the other would help. one thing to remember is your stock wheels wont fit without grinding the calps. ill talk more later....

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
My Car is My Mistress
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grailer:

Other things to consider? Like what? Other upgrades?

</font>
No, just about the brakes, thanx.

BTW the rotors are about two years old and have been cut once.

------------------
92ser h/i/e ecu and some other goodies

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">sr20deMike retorted:
No, just about the brakes, thanx.</font>
That's sort of what I meant - fluid, pads, etc. That sort of stuff.

BTW, Bowlcut is right on about having to grind the calipers to fit under stock 14x5.5 wheels. Thanks for posting that - I had forgotten. You'll need to shave about 1.5mm off the outside of the caliper, or run spacers of the same width. There is no issue with the spare tire, however.

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I was thinking about upgrading my front brakes to the nx2000 calipers and rotors. My
crossed drilled rotors have alot of hair line cracks in them and in some spots completely
cracked.</font>
There you have it ladies. Some of you no doubt have cursed my name in past threads for bad mouthing x-drilled rotors. Do you finally believe me now?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I was
looking on the sr20de.net and they said to use a nx2000 master cylinder. Has anybody done
this upgrade and kept their stock master cylinder? Is there anything else I should consider?</font>
I kept the stock MC and all is good. I also replaced the lines with braided steel ones from Goodridge.

As for the parts, I got loaded Wagner calipers for an nx2000 WITH ABS (nevermind if you don't have ABS) from Carparts.com. After coupon usage, I think came out to ~$180 ($100 core charge). Some people send the stock stuff back to Carparts.com, but I sold mine to someone with a B12 Sentra (they have PUNY brakes). In the end, $80 for loaded calipers that are ready to go (with decent pads I might add). I purchased some cheap rotors from Brake Parts Warehouse in Torrence CA (www.brakeco.com) for $30 each.

So there you go, I did this upgrade for $140!!!

[edit] My bad, I forgot to include the $120 I spent on the lines because I already had those. So, $140 for loaded calipers and rotors, $260 including lines.[edit]
------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
My Car is My Mistress
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grailer:
That's sort of what I meant - fluid, pads, etc. That sort of stuff.

</font>
Sorry, actually forgot to ask what type of brakes pads everbody has been using. I used metal masters on the crossed drilled rotors and thought they were good but willing to try something else.

------------------
92ser h/cai/e/ecu, act clutch, es mounts, eibach/gyb and some other goodies

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">sr20deMike reconsidered:
...forgot to ask what type of brakes pads everbody has been using.</font>
I run stock pads on the street, switching to Hawk Blues at the track. Carbotech Engineering makes these for our cars (p/n CT-549) in a variety of compounds.

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sorry, actually forgot to ask what type of brakes pads everbody has been using.</font>
KVR for street/autocross, Carbotech Panther Plus on track.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

1 - 9 of 9 Posts