SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade my brakes, and when I do, I am thinking I would like to go with the much talked about SMC Setup. What does this consist of? What's the pricing like? What's the performance like? It takes like 5 days for my rims to get real dusty.

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
Registered
420 Posts
What size rim are you running? I'd recommend the NX brake upgrade. Bigger rotors and a bigger piston in the caliper. The SMC is the Wilwood kit if I am correct, which ran Brian $1400 for the fronts I thought.
http://laf.cioe.com/~benbobbo/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/001455.html
If you play with the pictures you can get them to work if they don't. Right click on them and copy the address and open the pictures individually.

[This message has been edited by Toddles82 (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stock 15". what consists of the NX brake upgrade? does it perform as well as cross drilled rotors would?

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">stock 15". what consists of the NX brake upgrade? does it perform as well as cross drilled
rotors would?</font>
First off, what kind of car do you have? From your screen name, I'd say it was a 240SX perhaps? In that case, I don't think the NX brakes will go onto a 240. I have heard a rumor the 4 piston 300ZX brakes will, though. If you have a Sentra, the NX brakes are a little larger in diameter, and much thicker. Also the caliper is larger providing more clamping force than the stock caliper. The parts are cheap compared to the SMC/Wilwood big brake kits. I paid ~$150 for loaded calipers and rotors.

Don't waste your time/money with crossdrilled rotors. They do NOT stop any better than stock solid rotors. The only thing I know that they do quicker than stock rotors is crack. But at least they're 3X the price!!

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">First off, what kind of car do you have</font>
OK, duh! I'm in the 200SX forum. You have a 200SX. Way to go, Matt....

The NX2K brakes are a cheap and effective way to upgrade brakes. Like I said, I paid ~$150 for everything I needed.

Matt

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well then i will go with NX2K brakes....~150? from a junkyard or what?

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I bought mine from Carparts.com. I got loaded Wagner calipers for a Japanese made NX2000 with ABS (doesn't matter if you have ABS or not, it will work). These came with the mounting bracket and decent brake pads. The core charge is $100, but you get that back when you return your stock calipers. With on-line coupons, I think it turned out to be ~$90 for both calipers (not including core charge of course). I then bought the cheapest Chinese made rotors I could find from www.brakeco.com. $30 each, which is really, really cheap. And they are good, too. I use them on track and have no problems at all. If they can survive lap after lap of slowing the car from 120 mph to 45 mph for turn one at VIR, I think they'll handle anything you can do to them. Shipping will be a little bit more, so the total bill should be closer to $180ish.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
So would they accept b14 stock brakes as a core too?</font>
Several people on this board have gotten their core change back for non NX2K brakes. Some have gotten only part of their core back since they didn't return exactly what they bought. Might be hit or miss with this. I would just ship them back your stock calipers and they probably won't notice or care.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts