SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hearing some experiences on the web with Metal Masters pads dying under heavy track use. Since I plan to race at the national convention this year (which info on it is at www.se-r.org/convention ) I need to investigate what kind of brake pads I need to get. Won't have the cash for AD22VFs so just need to invest in some serious brake pads for the event. What's beefier than Metal Masters?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the stock ones are pretty good for light use, but if you are going to go out there and hammer on a set, I would get some Metal Matrix, or some kind of carbon brakes (I hope to have my b13 brakes on by the convention too, but probably will not race)

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Ben,
What you heard about the Metal Masters might be the result of poor bedding of the pads by the owners. I have to tell you that my brakes kicked ass @ the Willow Springs. No brake fad at all and the Metal masters are in one piece. The brakes did smell, but no fade. I highly recommend my whole set-up. you do not need a master Cylinder.
UR 4-Pulleys, Volk TE-37/Potenza RE-71 205/50ZR15.

G

·
0 Posts
I'd go with AXIS pads, there excellent ones. I dunno if that is the same pad you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I've been looking into this recently. A long search of the archives and the consensus for an all-around pad that can perform on the track is the Porterfield SR4 (or was it RS4??). With Ford HD Dot3 brake fluid. (This is not from my experience, but it will be in a couple months!)

For the AD22VF upgrade, you do not need a new master cylinder. Search the archives for George Roffe and master cylinder and probably some words like brakes... He compared two cars with the upgrade, one changed the master cylinder and one did not. There was a difference in pedal feel, but not performance (I think)
Jacen

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I will be seeing track time at the National Convention and won't have much money, will I roast and toast my OEM pads? Will they hold up enough and not destroy the pads or rotors doing this? Should I just get some metal masters for the stock brakes? Whaddya think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts