SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go into WOT (9 psi)...my car starts to break up (a lot popping). However...when I give it a little more than 3/4 throttle (but less than WOT), the car doesn't breakup at all.
Could it be my fuel pump not supplying enough fuel? I currently have a Maxima fuel pump. Tomorrow morning I will pull out my spark plugs and take a look at them. Any other suggestion (I should look for) are appreciated.

Manny

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Definitly with Rob on this one! That should be the main cause of your problems. Not saying it is your problem, but it is in the 90% and up category!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Probably not fuel although I completeley agree you should upgrade to a Walboro. Usually popping is related to ignition problems where a sudden power drop out and return will be fuel. Furthermore the setup you have now should have no problem supplying enough fuel for your setup. Check you plugs and if they need to be replaced go to a colder plug about 8-10 heat rating. My next guess if your plugs are good would be your wires. You can deffinetley get some serious popping when wires start to go bad, I've experienced it. These two things should clear up and problems with popping. I would also replace your cap and rotor. Use a genuine Nissan rotor the cap isnt as important but while your getting a Nissan rotor might as well use nissan cap. These two replacments wont eliminate popping but will eliminate any dogginess. Let me know what happens Id be interested to know.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Supply and Demand,your fuel pump is not keeping up.......

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SR20RACER said:
Did you have to make splices when you installed the Maxima pump? If you did, did you use eletrical tape?
I honestly can't tell you..Rob (SE-Rican) can probably tell you more since he helped his friend (whom I bought the car from) install the U12 setup that once occupied this car.
I did invest in a Walbro fuel pump from ebay exactly 1 month ago...problem is...I think I got scammed by the seller (although he has 95% positive feedback rating and over 600 items sold).
My spark plug wires are brand new (NGK 8mm)..they are maybe 3 months old. I dropped the boost down to 8 psi and I have no problems at all. However, once I go above that...the problems start again. I haven't been able to look at my spark plugs (NGK BKR7E)...I'll look into that once I have 5 mins. of my life (3 test in one week ain't no joke and on top of that...Finals are coming up) :mad:

Manny

·
Only Car in Cali W/ Rust!
437 Posts
how high did you raise the boost? i had a problem with that when adjusting my mbc, and it ended up being spark plugs fouled out because of not enough fuel. Check the plugs first.

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The NX said:
how high did you raise the boost? i had a problem with that when adjusting my mbc, and it ended up being spark plugs fouled out because of not enough fuel. Check the plugs first.
10 psi is the highest boost my car has seen so far. I just checked the spark plugs and they looked to be in good condition. However, I checked the tips and they looked to be white-beige in color. This does mean I'm running lean...correct?
What do fouled spark plugs look like?

Manny

·
SE-R Monster
661 Posts
i had that same problem with the old engine in my car but it was the gap on the plugs. then another time i accidentaly loosend one of the wires on the distributor the one that doesnt go to a plug and that made the same problem.
Rocco

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm running a 32 gap on my plugs. However, I do have MSD and a Blaster 2 Coil to back up my ignition system. Do you guys still suggest I close down the gap?

Manny

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
SE-Rawkus said:
I'm running a 32 gap on my plugs. However, I do have MSD and a Blaster 2 Coil to back up my ignition system. Do you guys still suggest I close down the gap?

Manny

Try your plugs and wires, then the fuel. Just about a week ago, I had a noise liek that at WOT, it sounded like an automatic machine gun... turned out for me that my rad overflow line got kinked, and in very slow rolling traffic on the pike, it caused my car to heat up and not cool properly. Long story short, I pulled my plugs, they were white. white= too hot/lean. I replaced my plugs and its been fine ever since. If you replace your plugs and thats not it, try the wires.....nothing better than stock wires. I had a similar problem back in October also that turned out to be my old NGK wires. When I replaced them with the stockers, everything was fine. Good Luck bro!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I had a problem very similar to this one when I first installed my DET. It tuned out to be the plug wires or a plug wire. Luckily I had an extra set of plug wires and that solved the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts