SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that most people recommend the nx breaks (AD22VF??) as a descent upgrade. What do you guys think? Also I noticed that Ben Davis didn't upgrade his breaks. Hows your car's stopping capability without upgrading breaks and do you plan on upgrading and if so to what? I was planning on making about 200 whp from the f-max/hotshot kit and wondering what is the most cost effective break set I should upgrade to. Thanks in advance,

-saaby

------------------
Red 99 SE with: CAI, Stillen Front STB, Redline MT90

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I recently did the ad22vf's on my turbo Sentra. I haven't done any track events but the feeling of them is 100% better than stock. Normal around town driving is great and I now feel alot more confedent about stopping quickly. I have done lots of 90mph exit ramp braking and I haven't felt any fade yet. If I were to do this with the stockers I'd prolly be banging dents out of my roof!

I personally think the NX brakes are a steel compaired to other upgrades and are good enough for a turbo car. But if your going to be doing major track events it moght be a diffrent story.

Mike

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ben put new Motul and new pads on does that count
advanced pads
. But last I heard he was going to upgrade to the ad22vf's. For a high power car thats what I would do and some SS lines. The brakes are decent stock but will end up over heating and warping if you go nuts on them. The ad22vf's will not warp as easily on ya. And the lines would help peddal feel and responce to the pedal.

·
Registered
448 Posts
AD22's here and the seem to be fine with lots of hard use.

They should have been stock on the cars to begin with.

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:

They should have been stock on the cars to begin with.
</font>
Uhhh, they were :) (well, some cars).

On the street, if you have to stop more than once hard, you're driving like a pshycho. If you are braking from more than 80-90 mph, you are really driving like a psycho. If you are braking multiple consecutive times from 80-90 mph, you need to see a judge.

NX brakes should be fine for "normal" (read, not stupid) street use.

On a road course, NX brakes are marginal on my 168 whp car. On a turbo car with race rubber, you will have to drive the car solely around the brakes.

If you aren't racing, though, AD22's are fine.

Rob

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ClassicSE-R:
On the street, if you have to stop more than once hard, you're driving like a pshycho. If you are braking from more than 80-90 mph, you are really driving like a psycho. If you are braking multiple consecutive times from 80-90 mph, you need to see a judge. </font>

Lock me up baby...I've boiled brake fluid on the street.

We have a loooooong ass straight section of remote 2 lane single direction on ramp road not to far from our cruise scene that starts with a traffic light, and has no on ramps or exits for about 1 mile. If there is a street tangle, that's where it happens. I found myself hammering the brakes down from speed before entering the highway merge.

Toasted these things pretty easy in that situation, but under "normal" agressive driving up in the back roads they are fine.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">On a turbo car with race rubber, you will have to drive the car solely around the brakes. </font>
And how, I planned on stomping Viper ass on the front straight but I don't think I will be able to stop for the next sweeper! lol

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I think you made sense until here:

>If I can lock my wheels up, then I don't need any more braking power to stop.

That's not a good measure of braking ability, it's too reductive.

Threshold braking provides you with the best braking power, not locking them up. So, a good choice of pads, rotors, and tire compound will work together to give you the most effective braking possible.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Now this whole brake debate has changed for me since I have talked to Jim Schumacher at Salt Fest a few weeks ago. He has the SMC BABK on his car. He is a heavy road racer. Has the rollcage, all bolt ons, everything. He told me the main reason he got them was that they has less mass (read: unsprung mass) than even the stock SE-R brakes. The NX brakes may feel better, but a single, cold hard braking event is more a function of your tire's ability to hold the pavement than anything. So considering the stock brakes, NX brakes, and BABK, the NX ones are the heaviest in terms of unsprung weight.

He and I agreed that for me, someone that rarely does hard breaking with the occasion drag strip, autox, or road race, stock brakes with good fluid and good pads should be all I need. If I can lock my wheels up, then I don't need any more braking power to stop.

Does that make sense? Please comment on my thoughts here.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well bang for your buck the NX is hard to beat jsut because they will last. If all you do is drive like me and ben then the stock brakes should work fine. After more then 2 stops the stock brakes tend to go down the hill fastert in terms of crappiness. The BABK isnt worth your money unless you road race or full out race car where lightness is key. If you are jsut a street car with no plans of hard auto-x or road raceing then stock should be fine. Cause after one hard stop you should be scared to death enough to slow down. Also you may end up replacing rotors quicker, the stock ones are so thin they warp like mad (IMHO).

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Well, I didn't mean locking up the brakes is a good thing in and of itself, I meant that if I have enough power to lock the brakes up, then I can effectively threshold brake since I simply have the braking power to do so.

I still have my stock rotors and they are not warped whatsoever, I am very suprised. I have completely killed my brakes as Jay has a few times, the two times I've been to the drag strip where there is never anyone there and I can do back to back to back to back to back runs and could feel my brakes fade terribly, and also one controlled repetitive racing situation in the back woods with a close friend where he noticed my rotors glowing red, not to mention losing most of my braking power due to 40k mile brake fluid. After all that, and still to this day my rotors are perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts