SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a broken stud right now and I got a stud extractor from home depot and I was only able to turn it 3/4 of a turn lol and the damn extractor threads are stripping.
Do you guys have any other ways to get it out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
SR20 Inside said:
So I've got a broken stud right now and I got a stud extractor from home depot and I was only able to turn it 3/4 of a turn lol and the damn extractor threads are stripping.
Do you guys have any other ways to get it out?

A pair of vice grips worked for me, but if the stud's broken off flush with the manifold, you might have no other choice but to drill out the stud and re-tap the hole.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Is the stud in the head or manifold? Are ya sure ya drilled the stud deep enough? If it's not deep enough the extractor won't get a good bite. I assume your talkin about a easyout type thing.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it's an easy out type of thing you turn counter clockwise and it has edges to supposedly catch the bolt and turn it with it. It is stuck in the head and its in about 1/8". I really wasn't too sure how far to drill it so I went maybe 1/4" :/... how far would you suggest? I was afraid of going tooo deep.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I broke a stud in my '91, and I bought a set of extractors from Sears. These are the ones you put in a drill, and put the drill in reverse. After you drill into the bolt for a while, you tighten a nut on the extractor, and drill again. Mine broke into the head, and this took it right out. I think I paid $20 for a set of 4.

·
B13
1,426 Posts
eric96ser said:
I broke a stud in my '91, and I bought a set of extractors from Sears. These are the ones you put in a drill, and put the drill in reverse. After you drill into the bolt for a while, you tighten a nut on the extractor, and drill again. Mine broke into the head, and this took it right out. I think I paid $20 for a set of 4.
The extractor worked well for me also.The studs were $10.00 each from the $tealership.Just drill slowly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would like to know as well as I have not been able to get them to do anything for me. I tried three times and nothing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i broke a stud while installing my header, and my dad and I tried getting it out with a HomeDepot screw extractor, but it didn't really work. So believe it or not, my dad took one of those flat screwdriver bits, made sure it was a little bit wider than the drilled hole in the stud, tapped it slightly into the stud, and slowly unscrewed the stud out of the engine. It slipped a few times, so we had to redrill, and rehammer the bit into the stud, but it eventually came out cleanly. We only drilled into the stud about 1/8 or 3/16"

i forgot how far the stud goes into the engine, but the exhaust manifold studs are the same as the studs on the cat/secondary connection. so you can measure off of there to make sure you're not drilling too far.

-patchy

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, except the bolt was in the flywheel. I bought the screw extractor thingy from home depot, but couldnt get it to work at first either. my extractor kit came with different size bits, which is what you need.

I was trying to use a bit that was almost the same size as the hole I drilled into the bolt, which is wrong. You need to use an extractor bit that is larger than the hole, it took all of 5 seconds once i switched bits.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NuttyNate said:
I had the same thing happen to me, except the bolt was in the flywheel. I bought the screw extractor thingy from home depot, but couldnt get it to work at first either. my extractor kit came with different size bits, which is what you need.

I was trying to use a bit that was almost the same size as the hole I drilled into the bolt, which is wrong. You need to use an extractor bit that is larger than the hole, it took all of 5 seconds once i switched bits.
You know how the extraction bits from home depot come in a package with 1 drill bit and then a corresponding extraction bit at least thats the one I got. So I just need to jump up 1 or 2 sizes on the extraction bit and itll grab better? I'll give it a try today and see what happens.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ApacheXMD said:
i broke a stud while installing my header, and my dad and I tried getting it out with a HomeDepot screw extractor, but it didn't really work. So believe it or not, my dad took one of those flat screwdriver bits, made sure it was a little bit wider than the drilled hole in the stud, tapped it slightly into the stud, and slowly unscrewed the stud out of the engine. It slipped a few times, so we had to redrill, and rehammer the bit into the stud, but it eventually came out cleanly. We only drilled into the stud about 1/8 or 3/16"

i forgot how far the stud goes into the engine, but the exhaust manifold studs are the same as the studs on the cat/secondary connection. so you can measure off of there to make sure you're not drilling too far.

-patchy
Sounds like a good idea the way your dad did it.... if I would drill out a slot in the screw itself and then use a flat head bit to reverse it out.

Thanks for the tips.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am f*cked now lol. I got one size bigger extraction bit... tried that and the tip broke off in the broken stud! I tried drilling it out but the material with the bit is alot stronger so it isn't even getting dented.

Any other ideas now? Maybe jbweld the broken stud in and just don't tighten to spec?

·
Registered
186 Posts
SR20 Inside said:
I am f*cked now lol. I got one size bigger extraction bit... tried that and the tip broke off in the broken stud! I tried drilling it out but the material with the bit is alot stronger so it isn't even getting dented.

Any other ideas now? Maybe jbweld the broken stud in and just don't tighten to spec?
get a torch, get a good oxidatizing flame going. focus the flame onto the brocken stud. Torch it until is RED and then all of a sudden squart water onto it. The trick here is to heat it RED really quickly and most importantly cooling it really quickly. When you do that to tool steel it forms micro cracks, which then you take a cold chisel and smack it and little bits would fly out towards your eye so watch out.

You have to localize your flame onto the stud, try not to heat the casting of the head since when you quench it it WILL crack it, thats why I said heat it fast and cool it fast. You heat it fast so the casting on the head doesn't have a chance to get heated up.

Too bad I saw this post too late or else I would've NEVER suggested those POS screw extrators that everyone was suggesting since 8 out of 10 times they never work. The first thing I would've done was unscrewing the studs while the motor is HOT since its easier. If it still broke I would've drilled a hole maybe .010 smaller then the overall diameter of maybe a 7/32 T-handled allen key, drill the hole, tap the allen key in and then turn it reverse. The flanks of the allen key would act as teeth and bit into the stud and would back it right out. Even better is if you use a torx key, since its got more flanks than an allen key.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
You know, you could just drill it out and use a Helicoil. they work pretty well.

edit - i know you said you couldnt drill it out, but theres gotta be someway to drill it out. use a different material drill bit or something. start out really really small and work your way up maybe?

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the material that is used in the extractor bits is so tought though... I've tried using diff drill bits to get it to make another hole but it doesn't seem to work at all. I might have to look into a diff type bit like you said and hopefully that works or I am going to have to just use ultra copper gasket maker lol.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
A HeliCoil should work fine fo royu. Just measure the stud size, and go to NAPA an dbuy th ekit. Should be around $30. It will work fine. Just use a titanium drill bit or a ral strong one with an electric corded drill. I had to drill the gread 8 bolt out of my head for the #1 bolt on the cam bearing cap. I broke it off in there. I drilled it out, tapped it with the tap in the helicoil kit, put in the helicoil, and everything is fine. Holds perfectly.

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So with the helicoil kit. Does it just let you retap and use a diff size stud or what does it do exactly? How do I determine what size helicoil to get? I still have to be able to extract the broken stud to get the helicoil to work right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts