SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barely. Was idling noisy (hadn't run in weeks, so I thought HLAs were pumping up) and when I blipped the throttle, BAM!

Of course JWT won't warrantee this, right?

Not good...

_SHig

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I can clean up the journals/bearing caps and drop in the stockers just to run SMOG check?

_SHig

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Course... They were in there for 20K miles. I did just get it back after someone jacked it and drove it out of gas. Probably buzzed the motor somehow. Seems inconcieveable you can cause this by driving though.

I'm wondering if they bounced the rev limiter enough for the main cam bolt to back out slightly, and the dowel pin slop fractured the cam? The break does seem to originate at the dowel pin hole.

GRR!

_SHig

·
Rebuilding
3,916 Posts
I have revved pretty high with my S4's a few times only over 7100k about twice. Someone jacked it and drove it out of gas? So someone stole it?

You might have had the sprocket off my a hair and it broke. Maybe?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, stolen...

More info...

Looks like for some reason the middle bearing packed up. No oil or what it's not clear, but that one seized, and looks like that took out the sprocket end. The top end is done. Don't really trust the bottom any more. Time to find a JDM or a local part out....

_SHig

·
JWT Addict
569 Posts
Damn.Sorry to see that.:(

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
Have you looked at the oil pan to see if it's smashed into the sump?

·
convention track slut
3,582 Posts
I helped a friend that bought a car with the EXACT same problem. We took a couple caps off an old motor and then polished the other side with a dremel the car ran another 40k miles and developed rod knock. So in other words 2 hours of our time and 20 dollars worth of parts got another year of service. So if someone says you cannot fix that they are full of ****.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I helped a friend that bought a car with the EXACT same problem. We took a couple caps off an old motor and then polished the other side with a dremel the car ran another 40k miles and developed rod knock. So in other words 2 hours of our time and 20 dollars worth of parts got another year of service. So if someone says you cannot fix that they are full of sh*t.
Sweet. I've got all that so that's the plan for today. I just need it to limp along for a week 'till I can pass smog.

I don't think I'd race the car with that fix, but for mild street it SHOULD do, as you've illustrated. Thanks for sharing your experience.

_SHig

·
The Fast One
998 Posts
well I'll say it...you can't fix that I have had sr cams do the same thing. that head is now a flower planter...get a new one and swap it on...no good machine shop will want to mess with that head. sorry about the sr death....BC cams ftw

·
convention track slut
3,582 Posts
well I'll say it...you can't fix that I have had sr cams do the same thing. that head is now a flower planter...get a new one and swap it on...no good machine shop will want to mess with that head. sorry about the sr death....BC cams ftw

This is bad advice. I have fixed 2 cars with this problem. It may not be the forum or the rich mans way of doing it. I personally have helped 2 people on this forum with that problem and have never heard anything about it. Please take 2 hours of your time take my advice. Hammer throught the gears and let me know how it turns out. Here is my cell if you need me to walk you through it.
1-931-212-8429 Call me around 4 or 5.

·
The Fast One
998 Posts
This is bad advice. I have fixed 2 cars with this problem. It may not be the forum or the rich mans way of doing it. I personally have helped 2 people on this forum with that problem and have never heard anything about it. Please take 2 hours of your time take my advice. Hammer throught the gears and let me know how it turns out. Here is my cell if you need me to walk you through it.
1-931-212-8429 Call me around 4 or 5.
well good luck man no cam seat that looks like that is worth the time or $ , not when you can get a new head for $50-100 so easy. Plus I would never trust a motor that I know has a bad cam seat not with any high hp #s or as a DD.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, here's the latest...

I believe this is the smoking gun:

I got the thing to run after I refurbished the cam bearing areas and installed new caps, but it clacked horribly and died. When I openend it up, there seemed to be no new oil up top. I guess the dumbf&#ks that stole the thing took a driveway too fast or something. I'm pretty sure the whole motor's toast. I pounded out the pan and the RTV is curing now. I'll put in some 20W-50 and hope for the best, but it's just a matter of time 'till this thing is put out to pasture. I think at the very least I'll need to do rod bearings and I don't really see the cam fix working very long. It MAY vailiantly serve long enough to SMOG it, but we'll see tonight after the syrup goes in.

Wish me luck!

_SHig

·
convention track slut
3,582 Posts
Well I have PERSONAL experience with this. The motor ran until the bottom end went bad. The cam fix will hold. I say new DE time!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts