SR20 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
A crowbar for leverage will help with the tube when you re-install it. It helped me both times.

*Be gentle*, but use the crowbar for leverage, to hold the tube in one place while you use your 8 tentacles to attach the other end.

You do have tentacles like the rest of us, don't you?

As mentioned above....be patient and use your head. The tube will work its way back to where it needs to be. It's tough, but you'll get it there.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I used my pregnant wife for the extra tentacle.
-"Do I have to touch that dirty engine?"
-"YES!, hurry up!!"

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Great news to report!

Came off without a problem. I gently rocked it a bit and it worked loose. The broken stud is going to suck. It is about 1/8" recessed into the hole. I have to see if I can fit a drill or a Dremmel tool in there.

I'm taking pix of all of this and I'll write it all up and put it on my website as soon as we have a happy ending. (So dumbasses like me don't have to bug you guys)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wasn't talking about the bolts on the egr valve itself. I'm talking about where the tube meets the manifold(#1 picture of manifold where your arrow is. you will need a 24 mm wrench to remove this fitting (and lots of wd 40)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
ALRIGHT!!
it doesnt bug me at all!!

Just keeps work interesting.

[This message has been edited by SmoothDaddyFig (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh yes, I know. That was kind of easy. It slid right back. (Got to have the 24mm crescent wrench though)

Here is what I am faced with now. The 1/8" indent is the stud.

All together now--

[This message has been edited by Horus (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
249 Posts
the problem with the broken studs is the fact that the head is aluminum and the oe exhaust manifold is cast iron. Both these metals expand and contract at different rates which causes some movement which puts extra strain on the studs. reinstall torque numbers are very important.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts