SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna rebuild my motor and make it a little bit stronger and more reliable. jgy sells used rods and pistons for bluebirds and gtir's. i was wondering if they were any stronger than the stock usdm sr20 rods and pistons. i really dont feel like dropping 1g on rods and pistons. Thanks Josh

·
Slushbox Engineer
123 Posts
GTiR rods are a bit stronger from what I've heard, and 300zx N/A pistons are a good, cheap upgrade and give you 11:1 compression. They are also pretty inexpensive as far as pistons go. You could also go with VE pistons, another good option.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont plan on going all motor. eventually a turbo will be thrown on. money is a little tight and i have a lot of stuff to do before i can throw a turbo on. ex. manual trans swap, new ecu, new injectors, new maf, rebuild the motor. i just want the motor to be able to handle the the turbo. so for now its gonna be all motor. im not looking for crazy power, just a car i can mess with and have some fun with. and if the gtir or bb pistons are stronger u can find the rods/pistons for like $10 each from jgy. so if they will help out i can throw down the extra 80 dollars and hopefully they will hold up better than the usdm sr20 rods/pistons.

·
SR20DEEP NYC
115 Posts
You really dont need to build your motor. If you bolt up a gtir set-up which you can find for anywhere between 500-700 dollars and leave it at stock boost you will be fine. The motor will be making at least 200whp and your motor will be fine. If you want more than 300whp I would recommend you do a rebuild. But remember more power=big money.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i no trust me my b14 alrdy has a lot invested into her. well 200 hp is pretty good i was looking for more around 250 eventually. plus i dont no how many miles are on my motor. i spun a bearing last july and had to replace it with a junkyard motor. i paid 300 bucks for it and its still running great. however if i do rebuild it. im not just gonna do a stock rebuild. new better flowing oil pump, new gaskets, metal head gasket, possibly rebuild the head and maybe port and polish it, etc. why not just do all the work now instead of blowing something and having to do it later anyways.and the stock gtir setup will bolt onto the usdm sr20 block right? id much rather rebuild the motor than just buy a bb or gtir. i take pride in my work and i like to learn more about the internals of the sr20!!

·
Me likes Big Ol Booties!
1,160 Posts
and if the gtir or bb pistons are stronger u can find the rods/pistons for like $10 each from jgy.
Wow! If you can get them for that price, I would buy 50 right now. Tell Jason to call me. ;)

You don't have much money now, but want to build up the car. Just start accumulating parts for what you want. If you want 250whp, ur stock motor is fine. I would just start buying parts for turbo and slap it in. There really is no need for a rebuild for that.

Now, you could also find someone selling a det block or another de motor complete for like $300 or so and get that motor ready. If you are doing the work urself, that is the way to go.

Either way you choose, it's going to take time and money. If you don't have the money, the time will take longer. If you don't have the time, you will need more money to buy parts at a higher cost.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for your input guys. ive decided to rebuild the motor and also get a manual trans and do that all in one stage. along with prothanes and the whole 9 yards. get the ecu, injectors, and maf. and throw all that in at once. i pretty much have the money for all that. however i need a dd so im gonna hold off on the build until i find one. looking at buying a jeep. then break in the clutch and the freshly rebuilt motor for a couple weeks and work out all the tweaks. then when money allows it get the turbo(which wont be till next winter.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
GTiR rods are a bit stronger from what I've heard, and 300zx N/A pistons are a good, cheap upgrade and give you 11:1 compression. They are also pretty inexpensive as far as pistons go. You could also go with VE pistons, another good option.
300ZX pistons have thick rings that don't seal well at high rpm, like 7500 rpm plus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts