SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have built your own SR20 motors?

Are there anything tricky involved?

When I say building I just mean getting all the machine work done outside and then getting all the parts together yourself and assembling it yourself...

I know you'll need some good metrology equipment. I have most of the tools that a builder would have since I am a machinist by trade. To me an engine is just like another machine that you fit part A to part B. I don't see why one couldn't build their own, however doing anything the first time is always hard so I would just like to know of any hidden surprises that I might encounter before I dive into this.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
not saying you shouldnt, but why would you really want to? just to intricatly (sp) know the internal workings of the motor? or to have an extreme race motor?? what is your goal?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
extreme turbo motor...forged and balanced intermals

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you havent done it before , be sure to have someone who has helping you out, it is not for the new Mechanic !! Does take some special tools and the know how so it doesnt get messed up .... Esp when it comes to Perfromance motors, my sugestion is to have it all done at the machine shop and you install it ....

·
The Boost Bear..Rawr!
3,055 Posts
I had all my machine work done, and I put mine together myself. Just have patience, and find all the correct hardware. I always thought that if you put a motor together yourself, that it wouldn't run nearly as well. I have yet to start mine (counting down days), but if you know what you're doing, and trust yourself, you'll be ok. And make sure you inspect and replace all needed parts, as this is NOT the place to be cheap! Take it easy.

Corey

·
Registered
138 Posts
i am a carpenter by trade, and i took mine apart. I rebuilt it to 11 to 1 compression and put it back together with no help from a mechanic and it runs like a champ. Even if you get stuck there are alot of people on the forum that can help you out in a pinch. good luck man.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Follow the manual exactly.... Clean everything religiously.... Make sure all machining is perfect and that all clearances, out-of-round and taper are within nissan spec. Do all this, and you shouldn't have a problem! built my own sr20 here... down to 5-7% leakdown :)

·
Racing Addict
254 Posts
I'm currently helping a friend rebuild a blown S13 SR20DET that was given to him. We're in no hurry, just taking everything apart, since it's a long-term project.

We found the cause of the blown engine last week, as a matter of fact. A screw was caught in one of the valves :eek:. Good thing it didn't go further, or the project would have been history.

We'll send the head to have it p&p'd soon, but since the car is running with another engine (and already pretty damned well, if you ask me), we're in no hurry for now.

By the way, neither of us has ever gone further than removing a valve cover, so this is a first for us too. I believe the key is not to be in a hurry and work on a spare engine like we're doing.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I'd say just follow the FSM, torque everything correctly, lube everything correctly, and you'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts