SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this method, and how does it work?? I need to change my head gasket, and i dont want to remove the timing chain. So can someone explain this to me. Or does anyone have another way??

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just removed 2 heads in the last week, albeit both were on engine stands. During both removals the key seemed to be the tensioner. Either retract it or try to remove it. The cam gears will HAVE to come off, no questions about that one, mark 'em and remove. When you're lifting up the head wiggle the tensioner if you can losen it. Have fun either way, Russ. My two heads are at the porter's shop.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
one end on the timing chain, and other end connected to the hood. idea is to prevent the chain from slipping off the crank.

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iczer200sx said:
one end on the timing chain, and other end connected to the hood. idea is to prevent the chain from slipping off the crank.
Thats what i thought, so it will take 2 people to lift the head off. One to hold the chain tight, and one to take the head off.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Why not drop the oil pan and secure the chain down there in addition to the bungee/zip tie method. I used a large piece of wood accross the engine bay and zip tied the chain to the board. No chane of knocking it off or messing it up that way.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Or you could use the se-r.net approved wooden block to wedge the chain inbetween the two chain guides. The same thing you do when swapping cams.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yahnozha said:
Or you could use the se-r.net approved wooden block to wedge the chain inbetween the two chain guides. The same thing you do when swapping cams.
nope, not when you're pulling out the head. have to lift the head until the chain comes through. great method for swapping out cams though.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Remove the tensioner, ziptie the gears to the chain, after unbolting from the cams- stack the gears. 1 man job removing and reinstalling the head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts