SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
rice burner closet case
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I have unbolted the exhaust after the cat, and I makes a LOT of difference from stock. Do you think that I would make more of a difference to use a cut out for the sleeper effect, or buy an aftermarket exhaust?

Does anyone use a cut out? Would I be the only one? Is this a stupid idea?

Thanks.
Jay

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
what mods do you have/plan on? anything less than cams you are ok with stock exhaust. A cut out is pointless and will only attract attention. Get a custom exhaust made If you plan on cams go 2.5in if not stick with 2.25in

Or you can wait a month for me to dyno s4 cams with a 3in exhaust and see what kind of power i make.
O

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
A cutout would give you some top end possibly but you'd loose some torque. My exhaust is shot and I'm just going to reuse the stock midpipe and the newer muffler I have and get 2" steel mandrel bends from JC whitney for like $30 and weld it all up. Seeing as how the flexpipe is like $50 I'm just going to use solid pipe there since I have mount inserts and my engine doesn't move much. When I get around to a DET swap and dyno tune it, I'm going to do runs with a cutout open and runs with it closed to see where it helps and where it doesn't, then setup the cutout to operate automatically using a solenoid and cable system that is rpm and gear activated.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yea i agree with the losing torque statement. I got 2.25 with no cat or resonator with OBX header with flange cut off so its just a straight through pipe all the way to the rear bends. I did lose a noticeable amount of torque and power at the low end but at the high end i could really feel the extra ponies. My car "felt" faster with the stock exhaust but i think its a lil faster now.

·
rice burner closet case
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assure you that it is a noticable difference with them just unbolted. My friend was open after the cat, and mine was closed (stock). He won, I lost. I think a cutout is a cheap way to go.

It won't cause too much attention, it is a cutout, it can be closed when I want it to be. Thus, very stealthy in the event that some one questions me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Toolapcfan said:
A cutout would give you some top end possibly but you'd loose some torque. My exhaust is shot and I'm just going to reuse the stock midpipe and the newer muffler I have and get 2" steel mandrel bends from JC whitney for like $30 and weld it all up. Seeing as how the flexpipe is like $50 I'm just going to use solid pipe there since I have mount inserts and my engine doesn't move much. When I get around to a DET swap and dyno tune it, I'm going to do runs with a cutout open and runs with it closed to see where it helps and where it doesn't, then setup the cutout to operate automatically using a solenoid and cable system that is rpm and gear activated.
What the ****! How the hell are you going to do that? "then setup the cutout to operate automatically using a solenoid and cable system that is rpm and gear activated"? Rob. I love you. :) your a pimp.
Rob do you work weekends. I need to make some brackets. Or a bracket for my air intake so it's held up a lil. I can explain later.

I have something sneaky up my sleeve. Everyone will see in time. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.