SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What want to know is just how much to expect to pay for the install? I am gonna replace the bearing seals is there anything I should replace?
I want the install to go as smooth as possible so I should make sure the motor has the MAF, wire harness, an operable IC, and ECU? If have left anything out please tell me. Also the RWD DET has an ignitor chip, is this something else i should watch out for?

sorry for the length and amount of questions but I really want this to go smooth. I search all through the old posts but couldn't find too many definitive answers.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

G

·
I have found that the install runs about $1800-$2200 (engine) & about $500 + for a proper install (south Florida). I know that you can run into problems if you buy a RWD DET and install it in a FWD car. Look for the GTI-R engine. I think it was the Black valve cover that had the higher BHP...??? One of the DET projects I was in on involved removing the direct fire ignition and installing a Skyline distributor w/a JWT chip. Call Jim Wolf for details as he knows a lot about what works with this install. Mind you, he does get real busy. Real nice bloke though, but so are all of the people I have spoken with there.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
If Im not mistaken you can't put the RWD DET into a FWD car.. the Head and/or intake runners are diffreent. the throttle body is on the left side of the motor in the RWD not the right as in the FWD. If you have any questions just email me I might be able to help you locate the motor too.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What i meant about the RWD DET is if the BB and GTi-R motors have ignitor chips?

·
Registered
441 Posts
No igniter chips that I know of. The fwd det's and stock de's ignitios are the same, give or take a few differences. (Pls correct me if I'm wrong)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[This quote was originally written by CruznSER to prove a simple point!]
You will not be able to install the rwd motor in your fwd se-r!

<exception. There is always custom work though. FWD -> RWD conversion </font>

------------------
Rice...yummy in my tummy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts