SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help deciding whether I should buy a 92 Classic with 120k+ miles. The seller is asking $3500, I offered him $2500 and he didn't take it yet. I'm having a hard time deciding if it's worth more than $2500 or not.

Here's a list of the pros and cons.
Pros: One owner, resonably maintained, fairly clean.

Cons: Front end is making some harsh, loud noises, steering wheel shakes on the highway, sunroof sticks open, bad CV joint, 120k+ miles.

Any input helping me to decide on this particaular car would be great. Also if you have ideas on what could be causing some of the problems I've seen with it that would be helpful too. I don't want to buy it and have to put a bunch of $$$ into it.

I could always hold out until I find a lower mileage one, but that's a whole another topic...Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
is it a manual or automatic.
if it is a manual, look for the 5th gear popout.

the wierd noises and stuff is prolly cause the suspension is shot to hell. the cv joint is cheap.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
no automatic, its a 92. 93 was the first year for "major" option of the automatic. susposaly there were a few weird ones like in Hawai like the ones with power windows. but no one has been able to prove any of that.

its a bit high for what needs to be fixed. my 93 which needed no work and is an automatic was 3750 after i talked him down a little. 3750 with taxes tags and title

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
194 Posts
shoo..i wouldnt get it, i'd wait...
theres lots better out there...
i bought mine w/ 136k miles lots o' defects for $3350 i got riped off or maybe it was that i was in DESPERATE need of a car...i dunno...well, it soon developed the infamous rod knock soon afterwards...still working on fixing it now...its been about 5 months...damn...i hate not having a car!...well anyways...like i said, i'd wait.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I forgot to mention it's a 5 speed. He had the tranny replaced about 20k ago with a used one because it had the infamous 5th gear popout.

I'm glad to hear the CV joints are cheap. That's a good thing because the passenger side one is definently toasted. I'm hoping the weird front end noises are just worn out motor mounts acting up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the car today. He came down to $2800 and I couldn't say no. What can I say I'm a sucker for these cars. They're getting hard to find anymore.

I already order 2 OEM engine mounts that will hopefully quite down some of the front end noises. I can tell they're shot because of all the transmission movement when I get on and off the gas.

G

·
0 Posts
I just got a offer for my car...5500 bux, 105K miles with all the mods. And I aint selling it. Mine is a 93. I would ask if he takes 2900 bux. Or do 3000 with a new CV axle from Nissan- NOT from Napa. They are not the same thing. I got NAPAs in mine and they are not like the OE ones.

------------------
Mike Jez
93 SE-R **** TURBOs, been there broke that.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey I bought mine for $800,granted it was a family friend. All it needed was some tlc and a paint job. Compression was average 170 across, and that was with 178k. Still spanking honduh's. First thing I did was get JWT motor mounts, I learned that from other peoples mistakes. Those transmissions are very expensive.

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
what about transmissions? do they break? you said you got motor mounts. i'm lost. i have noticed that it's kinda getting hard to put the car in reverse, i have to let out the clutch and put it back in. is my transmission going to break? i'm getting really scared here. help me! :O

------------------
never saw me coming did you honduh owner?

http://www.geocities.com/monsoonsite/myser_intro.html

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Cheapest solution for worn motor mounts- "homemade" solid ones. Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for part number 8644K18. $18.18. Mix the stuff up, pour it in your front and rear motor mounts, let it sit overnight, and whalla, same thing you pay JWT $250 for. And it's a hell of a lot easier than pressing in the Energy Suspension ones. Pics:

More detailed info on the procedure here:

http://www.nx2k.com/nx2000/hd_mounts.htm

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

G

·
0 Posts
I think i got lucky with my SE-R...i bought it with 92k on it with a brand new paint job(no "orange peel", either!)and a MINT interior(granted all the speakers were thrashed, but those are cheap) for 3900$. Someone said something about compression...I had this car checked, and one cylinder read 147 while the others were 160 or so...Is that OK?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
SERboy:

Of course I'm serious. Those are my motor mounts, I gave the part number and the website I got the stuff from, uhhh, like, what's not to believe?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've read a coupe of posts about these motor mounts and I think my car could use them. One question, though(please bare with me)
How do change them? Is this a simple process I could do.? i really like that idea of pouring that homemade stuff.
Thanks,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts