SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read the new Car and Driver yet? I must say, the SE-R Spec V greatly disappointed me. or maybe i should say the staff of C/D disappointed me.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't seen it yet, the SE-R was pitted against 4 other "banditos". This was a comparo for cars under $20 grand.

In order of placement:
5. Dodge Neon R/T-Its a Neon for cryin out loud.
4. SE-R- they claim a shifter that's vague with clumsy gates. What's up with that Nissan? Of all of the Nissan manuals I've had the opportunity to drive, none of them fit that description. C/D says even the new Maxima has a crummy feelin trans. What gives?
3. VW Jetta 1.8T- Newly revitalized, with power upped to 180, and torque around 174 i think? IIRC, peak torque started at 1950 RPM! Holy locomotive!
2. Subaru Impreza 2.5RS- a 2.5 liter n/a WRX. Lets try to figure this one out...when they pitted the WRX against the S4 and the 330xi, they said the WRX was just a well balanced "neutral" handler. Take the same EXACT chassis and tires, bolt in a 2.5 liter engine and the car now weighs 50 pounds less. Only now, the car has enormous understeer and its handling on the track is uncertain. Sup wit dat, yo?

1. Mazda MP3- the old men at C/D got a kick out of the "mellow exhaust tone" from its Racing Beat exhaust, and complained about the funky MP3 Kenwood head unit. They called its handling "unflappable". First place? The car did 0-60 in 8.3 seconds and the quarter 16.5. Oy! They say its sophistication jolted it into first.

all i gotta say is that this was one of the most unsatisfactory comparos i've ever read. A PROTEGE beat an SE-R? and a Jetta? oh dear...

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
NismoSER;

Yes, the new SE-R got fourth place. C/D listed up front that theirs was a hammered pre-production piece that really wasn't up to snuff.

With that being said, though, I think you can take away some good feeling by this comparison. Just read between the lines.

If you read every car's story in the comparo, you'll usually find them all being compared to the SE-R on handling and track prowess. The SE-R kicked every other car's ass by a good bit on the road course in the C/D comparo.

THAT makes me want one.

The SE-R also out-accelerated everybody, and the Jetta 1.8t was right there with it, though.

THAT makes me want one.

The C/D editors called the new Spec-V a very good autocross machine right out of the box.

THAT makes me want one.

$17,000 to start?

And lastly...the SE-R outbraked them all.

THAT makes me want one.

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It may be fun for you, but its still a protegay...and it by no means should have taken 1st in front of the se-r or the jetta for that matter...please. Oh dear is right!!

------------------
White
92 Nx2000
Cone intake, 19* timing, bosal performance muffler, 2.25" custom cat-back

·
Registered
765 Posts
that does sound messed up. I'm gonna have to go pickup a copy of C/D and see for myself

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, N2K brakes, 91 intake cam, SMC Short Shifter, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">4. SE-R- they claim a shifter that's vague with clumsy gates. What's up with that Nissan? Of all of the Nissan manuals I've had the opportunity to drive, none of them fit that description. C/D says even the new Maxima has a crummy feelin trans. What gives?
</font>
Didn't Nissan switch from direct rod shifter to cable shifters?
Even so, the tranny is so much stronger with a great LSD that I'll give up some shifter feel in exchange for the above.

·
Registered
862 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:
It may be fun for you, but its still a protegay...and it by no means should have taken 1st in front of the se-r or the jetta for that matter...please. Oh dear is right!!

</font>
so closed-minded.....you sound like a Honduh punk....

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Proteges are good performace cars. The world is not just one big 1/4 mile drag race and the Proteges are great handling cars. They have had a lot of success in SCCA showroom stock racing. I'd like to think the sloppy transmission was a result of pre-production parts that have been abused by testers. Nissan hasn't ever had the *best* feeling transmissions, but I'd never call them clumsy either. I'd like to see a rematch when a real production car makes it to test.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
862 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Proteges are good performace cars. The world is not just one big 1/4 mile drag race and the Proteges are great handling cars. They have had a lot of success in SCCA showroom stock racing.
</font>
Right on. A Protege won the 2001 Showroom Stock C Nat'l Championship, and IIRC, a Protege took 2nd in 2000.

·
Side by side through 9
719 Posts
I've driven the new Spec V twice. Once a few months ago, the other a few nights ago. The thing *pulls* from 2K. It never seems to run out of steam, although the 6.5K redline feels too early. Even in 6th gear on the freeway, you can break off riceboys in Civics (I have!). The car would tach out well over 170mph, but you can keep in in 6th and make passes on the freeway, no downshifting required due to all the torque this thing has!

The second car I drove felt stronger than a 15.7 1/4 miler to me. The first one was much weaker, and that car was probably from the same batch C/D had. I even out ran it in my lightened (130 pound lighter than stock) 1992 SE-R that had a HotShot intake, JUN flywheel, and a JWT ECU.

I'd love to have a SpecV as a daily driver, the car is really sweet. Too bad it looks like a regular B15 with big wheels and the shifter feels like it belongs in a video game. I still want one, though. Anyone with a deposit down will not be disappointed.

Tom

·
Side by side through 9
719 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but it definately tachs out over 160, IIRC it is closer to 180. Without the horsepower though, it won't pull to that speed.

I forgot to mention, I have been on the track (Willow Springs) with a well driven MP3, and while it's turd slow in a straight line (my G20 with a bad detonation sensor out ran it), it handles *really* well. If that car was quick, it would be a real contender.

The redline in all the SpecVs I've seen has been 6500 rpm, but they may all be pre-production versions.

I swung through a dealer today after lunch, and they knew nothing really about the car other than they get them mid-November.

Tom

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
The redline will be 6200 on the production models. The pre-production ones have a 6500 redline.

For the price the car is a steal. I would want to get one w/o any options. This car is at 200hp crank with better cams/springs and a 7k redline.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, i wouldn't go saying that Nissan has some of the greatest feeling trannys ever...i'd have to throw that award to the likes of a Miata or maybe S2000 or a Porsche. But yea, it is cable operated...I do have faith that production ones will feel better, and I'm looking forward to some helical LSD action.

never implying that i didn't want one, but i guess it would be less misleading if i said i was disappointed in just the editors at C/D and not the SE-R.

yea, the protege may have great track moves, and the Jetta might have a mighty torque curve, and the Impreza may feel polished to them, but that will never change the way Nissan flavor tastes in my mouth.

Nissan Driver for life,
NismoSER

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
tach out at 170mph? Holy shiet?

------------------
96 200sx Rice Mobile! Bone Stock..he,he,he

·
Registered
862 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gsr20det:
I've driven the new Spec V twice. Once a few months ago, the other a few nights ago. The thing *pulls* from 2K. It never seems to run out of steam, although the 6.5K redline feels too early.
Tom
</font>
So the redline for production is 6500, and not 6100 rpms?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Proteges are great cars and by no means should anyone be dissing on them just because they aren't that quick. Of course they're not gonna be as fast as an SR20DE, but the MP3 is probalby really fun to drive. I had a 1995 protege and it was a really good car. I agree with Dan_93SER in his comment regarding NismoNX2000. He does sound very close-minded and probably is a Honduh punk. How can he be a car lover and be so close minded?

[This message has been edited by SE-limited99 (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
First of all, i am bashing on the protege because of this class that they put it in. To call me close minded and a honda punk shows how stupid and totally off the wall you are. The mp3 should have no way won this comparison. It is a better car then the neon maybe and maybe the impreza 2.5 rs, but the jetta 1.8t and the se-r beat it hands down. Not only in performance but also in quality and driveability. Am i closed minded, no, i dont like the mp3 and thats it. So if i dont like a car that must mean im a honda punk and closed minded. You better recheck how you think, cuz your not thinkin right.

------------------
White
92 Nx2000
Cone intake, 19* timing, bosal performance muffler, 2.25" custom cat-back

·
Registered
862 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:
First of all, i am bashing on the protege because of this class that they put it in.</font>
Huh? And we're suppose to know that by the open-minded argument of "It may be fun for you, but its still a protegay"?!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> To call me close minded and a honda punk shows how stupid and totally off the wall you are. The mp3 should have no way won this comparison. It is a better car then the neon maybe and maybe the impreza 2.5 rs, but the jetta 1.8t and the se-r beat it hands down. Not only in performance but also in quality and driveability. </font>
Oh, okay. I guess you must have been one of the testers, right? Yeah, that was a real objective argument, backed up with plenty of fact. You are clearly a very open-minded person. I don't know what I was thinking!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Am i closed minded, no, i dont like the mp3 and thats it. So if i dont like a car that must mean im a honda punk and closed minded. </font>
No, you're not a closed-minded honda punk because you don't like the MP3. You're a closed-minded honda punk for sounding like one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
You better recheck how you think, cuz your not thinkin right.
</font>
Okay, I'll get right on that, kid, as soon as you learn to shut your piehole until you have something worth saying. All I said was that the Protege is a fun car to drive and handles well. I didn't make any comment about how it should of ranked in the comparo. You need to check yourself.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
eh, let em think what they want, opinions are opinions no big deal, don't let it persuade you, test drive it for a good bit then you decide.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts