·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just failed my smog test (dyno type) here are my results

I failed in NO (PPM)

at 15mph 711 max - 1197 measured failed

at 25mph 754 max - 628 measured passed

Oh yeah the tech said my fuel cap failed and the ign timming was off. Besides giving my car a full tune up, plugs cap, rotor wires, and checking timming. what other recommedations do my fellow Cali SE-Rs suggest? TIA

Rod

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
get the ignition timing done, and reset the ecu....you might have to wait a week or so, that is what happened to me last year. I had to replace both oxygen sensors, I was getting the code for that, and just drove around for a week and a half, and the light just went off. Someone told me that you have to let the ecu cycle. I tried to reset the ecu a few times, as well as doing tuneup previous to that. I left the battery disconnected for a week, but after fixing the sensors, it took a week or so for the light to go off. I just did my smog again, and after leaving the battery disconnected with the front o2 sensor off (i replaced my exhaust mani) I had a light. Resetting made it go away......let me know if you have any other questions, I have spent a lot of time with this ****......

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just failed yesterday In NO also. but my 15 mph reading was at measured 2300+
I had a dianogstic doen and the mechanic said the EGR system (tube) was dirty (cloged). $250 to take off the intake and clean it out. I'm thinking of buying a new EGR tube but I don't know if it's enough.
Man it's tuff having a SR20 in CA.
p.s. anyone know where the ECU is so I can reset the damn thing.

·
mhmmm
1,263 Posts
there is some kicker panels like where the center console is by your pedals.. take that off and its there... take off those two bolts..
i have a question for you beethaniel i resetted my ecu and my light is still on and wont go away... its giving me a tps error.. so i resetted it, it went off came back on with a 5,5 then went away and immediately came back with the TPS 0403.... should i just replace the TPS? i dunno and my light is always on... dont go away

·
Registered
410 Posts
for VErooom, adjust your timing...that will throw your N0x out of controll...and reset ecu....worm up your car good and go test it....

for bee2011, dont need to buy a new egr pipe....just take off all of the egr equipment and clean it with carb cleaner....for the tube, stick a good size electric wire through it a few times with carb cleaner sprayed in it....and same goes to egr....intake manifold should be fine....unless there is alot of black stuff cloged onto the egr hole on the intake manifold....then clean that off too....

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
Im not sure about the TPS thingy, never had any problems with it. My CEL just came on again yesterday, Im getting a 5 7, which is for the EGR I think, havent been able to check it yet, will do it this weekend. Im sure the intake is dirty, I sprayed some carb cleaner in it 2 weeks ago, but I didnt have the right allen key wrench for the throttle body.....hopefully that is it, since my car is idling like crap, like its misfiring. Oh, bee2011. the ECU is right in the center, on the floor under a plastic cover right next to the accelerator pedal. You dont have to take the cover off to reset it though. There is a small hole on the top part, which faces the front of the car, close to the right hand side of the car. If you reach over the top of the plastic cover from the passenger side of the car, you can touch the top front of the ECU. There is a small hole, covered by a clear plastic sticker....I used a flat screwdriver ( it has to be really short, or just the bit ) to poke through the sticker and turn the little knob to the left ( relative to you ) for 2 seconds and then back again. The CEL will start to flash (oh, the car has to have the key in the ignition turned to the "ON" position, not running), and from the you can read the codes. After that, you either turn the car on or off to reset it, or turn the little knob again to reset it....do all this with the car warm, after you do all your little tune up stuff. If it doesnt go away, take to aspirin and call me in the morning....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, beethaniel and gun_metalz I gave my car a complete tune up, reseted the ecu and my friend set the timming to 13-14. I'm gonna try to smog again some time next week w/87 octane gas because thats what was suggested to me. Any other suggetions? TIA

Rod

·
Registered
340 Posts
ANother thing that can help is to fill up with 87 octane a few days before. The reason for this is that 87 burns easier, thus getting a more complete burn of all the fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts