SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a PR CAI and I am waiting to recieve it via mail. Well my question is when I make the hole for the CAI I want to know what you guys use to make the hole. I was thinking about using a hole saw. I imagine I can use a 3.5 inch hole saw. If you guy have any other ideas let me know. It will be a while before I install it because I am dealing with a rod knock. Read my post in the kill stories section. Thanks in advance guys!!!

·
0 Posts
WAZ UP!!!! BRO!!! DAMN, you put me in tears when I read about the oil filter, man.!!!!
well...........
I know some people use a dremmel tool.
Others use pliers and start peeling back the metal. I would personnaly take out the battery and tray and take my time on it to make it look good.

------------------
-BUDGET RACER
-

-

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Heres what I've done on 3 seperate SR20's to install a CAI.

Turn the wheel all the way to the left, get a pair of strong pliers, and bend the metal back, starting where the hole already was for the stock black-air snorkel. Thats all I did. It may take like 15 minutes to make the hole big enough.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I would definately bend the metal. It will be a cleaner install IMO. I used a dremel and it came out pretty decent for my first time using one.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
I used a hole saw and it made the most horrendous sound when I placed that spinning junk of spiked metal I got from Sears on that sheetmetal in the fenderwell. It worked and my CAI fits fine, but I would think the bend-a-fender-away method would work best.

Good luck!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
729 Posts
I also used a Dremel to open the hole up and I used a piece of black rubber tubbing and made a slice through one half and put that around the cut hole to give it a cleaner look.

------------------
2k SE

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS ALOT GUY AS SOON AS I GET MY SE-R BACK FROM THE DEALER I AM GOIN TO INSTALL THE CAI AND A SHORT SHIFTER. LIKE I SAY I AM STILL WAITING FOR IT TO ARRIVE BUT IT SHOULD BE HERE ABOUT THE SAME TIME MY CAR IS READY. I CAN'T WAIT. THANKS AGAIN PEEPS!

92 RED CLASSIC
----------------
ROD KNOCK, NOS, H/S HEADER,MSD ACT CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE, INTAKE, EXHAUST
(SOON TO HAVE PR CAI, SHORT SHIFTER AND 4 NEW RODS AND BEARINGS!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts