Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I can't decide between a pop charger (stillen or JWT) or a CAI for my '91, mainly because I don't really know what a pop charger does! Any recommendations? Pros/cons for each. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
A POP charger is just a nice intake. You lose the airbox and get a horn-type intake with a high flow cone filter. You'll gain a few hp from it. Advantages vs. a CAI are that it's cheaper and there's no risk of sucking water up into your intake. Get a CAI if you can afford it. More power.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I've heard CAIs are kind of a pain to install. Is that extra work worth the extra HP? Also, does the fact that I live in snowy Cleveland, OH make a CAI a bad idea? Thanks (again).

·
RE-F/ING-TIRED:)
1,318 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
A POP charger is just a nice intake. You lose the airbox and get a horn-type intake with a high flow cone filter. You'll gain a few hp from it. Advantages vs. a CAI are that it's cheaper and there's no risk of sucking water up into your intake. Get a CAI if you can afford it. More power.
</font>
...and if you're worried about sucking up water, try an aem bypass valve on your cai.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The CAI gives you power you can feel, the pop gives you power you cant feel, like maybe 4hp.. compared to up to 20..

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by horishima:
The CAI gives you power you can feel, the pop gives you power you cant feel, like maybe 4hp.. compared to up to 20..</font>

If you are telling me a CAi can give you 20hp on a SR20 I will eat my shirt. Thats a ridiculous statement/post if this is what you meant. Who said you won't feel a POP's power. If you lived somewhere where the temps are like 60 degrees on a cold day maybe. It still draws cool air when highway driven. I have put a temperature probe in the motor to compare the two. At highway speeds the temp by the filter is not that far from the outside ambient temperature. Although a CAI is better for all around power and air density, don't say a POP doesn't make power. The CAi is better for torque, longer intake runner=more torque. Shell Black dynoed a CAi on his SE-R and actually lost 1hp but gained torque. If you have a NX2000 it is not a great investment (CAI). There is no airflow to the filter like there is in a classic SE-R wit hthe bumper cut out. I have experiecned a lower top end as well as others. No dyno numbers to prove it but have spoken to other NX2000 owners about their CAi. If you want to see what i did check the NX2000 posts on the forum. It is a hybrid CAI/cold air/warm air set up that works :> )

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Perhaps horishma meant "compared up to the 2.0" liter.....I don't think anyone would believe a CAI would give you 20hp. Thats the old days of Stillens BS advertising.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.1 @ 90mph at Englishtown, NJ - 14's oh so close

G

·
0 Posts
I installed a Place Racing CAI in my 93 a few weeks ago, and while the install was fairly difficult(had to notch the battery tray and widen the factory air induction hole), it was definitely worth the effort!! I also fitted a Weapon R breather filter on the AIV which "complete's the ensemble". I don't really think anything like a CAI can make that much HP, but I really do believe that the CAI adds close to 10hp depending on timing, fuel, etc. Too bad you missed out on the GD with our sister site-B15.sentra- I purchased my PR CAI for 155$ shipped!!!

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
I installed a Place Racing CAI in my 93 a few weeks ago, and while the install was fairly difficult(had to notch the battery tray and widen the factory air induction hole), it was definitely worth the effort!! I also fitted a Weapon R breather filter on the AIV which "complete's the ensemble". I don't really think anything like a CAI can make that much HP, but I really do believe that the CAI adds close to 10hp depending on timing, fuel, etc. Too bad you missed out on the GD with our sister site-B15.sentra- I purchased my PR CAI for 155$ shipped!!!</font>

Thats real cheap compared to what we used to pay for it non powder coated!

·
Registered
348 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:

If you are telling me a CAi can give you 20hp on a SR20 I will eat my shirt. Thats a ridiculous statement/post if this is what you meant. )
</font>
Luis, has the Dyno to prove it you betta eat up White... email Luis..

·
Registered
348 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:

Who said you won't feel a POP's power. If you lived somewhere where the temps are like 60 degrees on a cold day maybe. It still draws cool air when highway driven. I have put a temperature probe in the motor to compare the two.
</font>

At hwy speeds... When you Drag are you at HWY speeds off the line.. ahh no,.. and i dont know what kind of probe your using but this a big diff.. in temp.. and if your friend lost power his car must suck.. so dont go off on me.. cause your friends cai sucks

[This message has been edited by horishima (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Registered
94 Posts
</font>
Can you post it? I (and many others, I'm sure) would certainly like to see it. It sounds quite "unusual," to put it mildly.

·
8,148 Posts

</font>
You are telling me that a CAi can produce 20hp on a N/A car? A SR20DE? You must mean after the nirtous is squeezed. A car with Nitrous testing a POP and a CAi. That sounds like Borlas claim that their muffler adds 15hp to a SR20. I have the Ketchup, knife and fork. Bring on the Dyno sheet.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
</font>
I've seen Luis' dyno chart. His car makes around 142-143hp at the wheels *WITH* a CAI, header, exhaust, pulleys and ECU. Stock SE-R's typically dyno around 122-125hp (maybe more maybe less.) Yeah, he gained around 20hp all right, but with more than just a CAI. IIRC, he did gain some power (like 1hp I think) by going to a 2.5" CAI vs. the Hotshot's 3" CAI piping.

Bottom line: An SR20DE will *NOT* gain 20 crank hp nor 20 wheel hp with just a CAI. If that were the case, it would be the greatest bang-for-the-buck N/A mod over the header and cams.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX Si-R
1993 NX2000

P.S. I was under the assumption that you said it *felt* like a 20hp gain. Please tell me I'm right.

·
Registered
705 Posts
HAHAHA...Eat shorts Horoshima, you idiot. We only wish an intake added 20whp, that will be the day! maybe it adds 20hp with a small SC attached, lol.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
I've seen Luis' dyno chart. His car makes around 142-143hp at the wheels *WITH* a CAI, header, exhaust, pulleys and ECU. Stock SE-R's typically dyno around 122-125hp (maybe more maybe less.) Yeah, he gained around 20hp all right, but with more than just a CAI. IIRC, he did gain some power (like 1hp I think) by going to a 2.5" CAI vs. the Hotshot's 3" CAI piping.

Bottom line: An SR20DE will *NOT* gain 20 crank hp nor 20 wheel hp with just a CAI. If that were the case, it would be the greatest bang-for-the-buck N/A mod over the header and cams.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX Si-R
1993 NX2000

P.S. I was under the assumption that you said it *felt* like a 20hp gain. Please tell me I'm right.
</font>
Funny thing Drew, when I called AEM to find out the status of the SE-R Cold Air intake they are making they assured me that their CAI will make more power than any unit on the road today, and I believe it. When i told him that is was 3" he told me that 3" seemed kind of big in his opinion. Thats interesting that you said he went from 3" to 2.5". Thanks!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Unless you are really worried about water, go with the CAI. Hell, go with the CAI anyway and you can run on the short stack when its bad out. Or stay on the WAI and only use the lower tube when you know it will be nice out. It's not like you live in a flash flood area.
I notice a loss in top end power when I switch from the CAI to the WAI (underhood setup=Warm Air Intake), and I think the WAI has more low end. All of that is by butt dyno only, so I have no dyno charts to back it up.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When i told him that is was 3" he told me that 3" seemed kind of big in his opinion. </font>
If you make the pipe narrower you will move the resonance point (I want to say it would become higher in the rpm range, but I'm not sure). Right now I think its primary resonance is about 5-5.5k. I don't think it would help to move it.

[This message has been edited by jacen99SE (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
8,148 Posts
[.
I notice a loss in top end power when I switch from the CAI to the WAI (underhood setup=Warm Air Intake), and I think the WAI has more low end. All of that is by butt dyno only, so I have no dyno charts to back it up.

You would think it would be the other way around. a shorter runner would give you better top end. The longer intake would increase torque. Besides the CAi's work better on low port motors than they do on high port motors. Thats is a fact.

·
8,148 Posts
[Or stay on the WAI and only use the lower tube when you know it will be nice out. It's not like you live in a flash flood area.
I notice a loss in top end power when I switch from the CAI to the WAI (underhood setup=Warm Air Intake),

Why would I want ot switch it everytime it rains. That gets annoying after the first 3 or 4 times. I had the Place racing intake with the POP adapter. I had two filters. 1 i kept in the tunks to replace the pipe and one suspended in the fender. I got annoyed at the fact of swapping them so i built what you see here.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.