SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was breaking the lock pin on my front left caliper and it snapped. i was still able to open my caliper up and change my brake pads, but i wasn't able to replace the pin. how do i get the pin out. is it possible to drill it out from the other side (where the arrow is pointing)? or, do i have to extract the pin from the bolt side?

also, is it safe to drive with a snapped lock pin? :redface:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also, how the heck do you guys get that top caliper mounting bolt out? there's a bolt right in front of there. my 1/2" drive rachet/socket is too big, impact wrench doesnt fit, tq wrench is too long, and my 3/8" drive rachet/socket w/ extension fits, but its too puny and i cant get enough torque on it.

should i try to get out that bolt thats "blocking" the caliper bolt first? i tried to break that bolt with my impact, but my puny 250 lb impact wrench couldnt break that one either.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
i was breaking the lock pin on my front left caliper and it snapped. i was still able to open my caliper up and change my brake pads, but i wasn't able to replace the pin. how do i get the pin out. is it possible to drill it out from the other side (where the arrow is pointing)? or, do i have to extract the pin from the bolt side?

also, is it safe to drive with a snapped lock pin?
First of all, I would say no, it is not safe to drive like that. What youre going to have to do is remove the torque member, put it in a vise, heat up the cast part that surrounds the broken off bolt, and remove the bolt with a pair of vise grips. This happened to my friend's NX and with the right amount of heat, the bolt came out no problem. For the one you can't get, is that the torque member to the hub? (17mm bolt) I got a set of AD22s from an NX that had been sitting over a year, and i'm not exactly a strong guy. I think what I did was use the trick where you couple the box end of one wrench with the open end of the other to get more torque on it. You can push alot harder if you have something to brace agaist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so heat up the caliper around the pin and pull out the pin with a vice grip? sounds simple enough.. should i just use a propane torch, or what... i guess i'll be making a trip to harbor freight. a harborfreight store just opened up a few blocks from my house, its awesome:D

well, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I broke my rear caliper locking pin last year... wrestled it out w/i 5 minutes. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, just like to say I've owned my nx for about a year and a half now and have known about this forum for just as long but decided now was a good time to make my first post. A big thanks to all the good people in this forum who have helped me and others through sharing their knowledge about our cars.

That being said, I just had this siezed caliper pin problem this last weeekend. Yes, you can beat the pin out from the other end but you'll ruin the rubber cap. I did this and just filled the cap with permatex form-a-gasket. I tried to heat the caliper with a torch and pull it out but it felt like the pin heated faster than the caliper. Also, its easiest to actually beat the pin further into the caliper just to get it moving, then use some pb blaster and beat it out. This worked for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nx4nx said:
First off, just like to say I've owned my nx for about a year and a half now and have known about this forum for just as long but decided now was a good time to make my first post. A big thanks to all the good people in this forum who have helped me and others through sharing their knowledge about our cars.

That being said, I just had this siezed caliper pin problem this last weeekend. Yes, you can beat the pin out from the other end but you'll ruin the rubber cap. I did this and just filled the cap with permatex form-a-gasket. I tried to heat the caliper with a torch and pull it out but it felt like the pin heated faster than the caliper. Also, its easiest to actually beat the pin further into the caliper just to get it moving, then use some pb blaster and beat it out. This worked for me.

ok, thanks for the insight.... i still havent got to work on my car yet :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts