SR20 Forum banner

calling all SR20DE friends.. need help!!!

805 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  nx2kPA 
#1 ·
i just got a call from the nissan dealer today, by my request that they call before they do any work.

he told me that they could not find anything broken under the valve cover and that they could rotate the cams backwards but not forwards.. when trying to go forwards it would stop making a loud thunk sound. they said that it is probably bottom end related and that if they were to look at that they would have to take out the heads and basically would be a lot of money just in labor for them to find out what the problem is.

can someone forward this message to the se-r list as well?

sorry to sound stressed, but my day is already not going well.
anyways, if some of you don't know what i'm talking about, check out my earlier post "bent rocker arm".

------------------

Jon - '95 G20t

See less See more
#2 ·
Dude, if the botton end is shot (how you did that, I don't know) and labor will be in the $500 range, screw it and just drop a JDM motor in there. You can pick one up for $500 shipped in many places.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

#3 ·
yeah guys shed motors every ****ing spring nowdays. If you are up for it do it yourself. Just have the wiring done by a pro. Someone tell me if I sound like an idiot, cause ive never done this job.
If you are not up for it, you can get probably someone who is for the same or less then your current situation demands from you. Then your G20 won't be playing catch up anymore
Good luck

#5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bennitto Mallito:
yeah guys shed motors every ****ing spring nowdays. If you are up for it do it yourself. Just have the wiring done by a pro. Someone tell me if I sound like an idiot, cause ive never done this job.
If you are not up for it, you can get probably someone who is for the same or less then your current situation demands from you. Then your G20 won't be playing catch up anymore
Good luck
</font>
A motor swap is easy! Plug'n play!
Take the radiator out for more room, then disconnect the wiring, the vaccume hoses to the carbon canister and to the firewall, take off the two coolant hoses near the clutch lever. disconnect the clutch cable, take off the hood, sling the engine to a hoist, take off the engine mounts, yank the motor up and out, take the tranny and put it on the new engine along with a flywheel that has been machined and a new clutch, put it all back together.
I did a complete DET swap in less than a day. 6pm-4am then 10am to 11pm. 23 hours of work.
You can do it too.

------------------
David Lau <pnwnissanser@aol.com>
Stop Fast, corner better B13 SER in Vancouver, WA

#6 ·
Hey Jon were they able to tell you anything more descriptive at all? From that I do not know what it could be... Give me a call when you find out okay..

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

#8 ·
Dave Allen has a JDM 10:1 comp $300 K. Watanabe motor in his car and with just pop charger and exhaust he made 144hp and 131ft-lbs. Pretty mofo powerful for basically stock.

I will be following this thread. I've never heard of a motor that was "stuck" that would only move one way. I would imagine it would get stuck rotating it backwards in well less that 360 degrees as well since there probably is something stuck in there.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

#9 ·
thanks for the input guys. i'm going to take it to a machine shop i was refferred to by a guy i know at the dealership. he's done headwork on sr20de cars before from what i understand. maybe he'll be able to diagnose the problem. the dealership was clueless and said they wouldn't be sure unless they took the engine apart. if i do need a new engine, is a JDM really worth it?

#10 ·
Jon..whatd i tell ya buddy. What it sounds like to me is you have a rod floating around in there and it gets jammed when they rotate the crank. Time for DET, eh!!! Dude, no worries, you can get a jdm for 300 bucks these days

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

#11 ·
Well, I'm going to call this guy they reccommended, today and see what he has to say about this. If he's not too sure and wants me to take the car down to look at it, I'm probably not going to.. I'd rather just do the JDM motor swap.

Now as far as getting one, is K. Wantanabe the most reliable source for these motors? I would like to get that has under 60k on it. Does anyone have their contact info?

I'm a little leary about doing the swap myself. I want to have it done in a shop with the right tools, whether I'm paying for it or not, as I need this done soon.

Thanks again for your feedback guys.

Jon

#12 ·
whatever you do, don't have a mechanic friend do it on the side. I wish I had taken it to a shop. He has been doing my swap for over a month now. I guess when so called friends work on you car they don't feel obligated to finish it very quickly.

------------------
Soon, My SE-R will be BACK

#13 ·
yeah ashop would be better cause if you do buy a jdm motor, the shipping to a shop is like $150 but to some ones front door is $350. plus they have the right tools. Good luck go jdm!

#14 ·
Jon, i told ya...your best bet is to get a rental, and bring it down by me. I swear by this guy.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.