SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where, how much, who, how long...

details! Where'd you get the carbon propeller shaft?

and how is it performing?

·
Registered
356 Posts
will...you guys call them driveshafts i think, the shaft that runs the length of the car to get drive to the rear diff

at the moment the first prop that was sent over is with a mate of mine pete, and last time i spoke to him waiting to be fitted.

when its fitted and all is known to be aok, we'll be sorting out the order for the rest, i'll give you more details nearer the time

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Ah, I understand. For a moment I thought you guys may be mounting GTI-R motors in some sort of aircraft... hehe.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
No we just happen to use the Queens English and not the [email protected] version you guys use :eek2: :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Rob
if I could speak like you guys and not be called a fraud, I would. I hate improper English, and girls like the British accent. I like the terminology you guys use to describe things.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't know it was called anything other than propeller shaft... and i live in slow canada eh

·
SR 20 Site newbie
215 Posts
i didn't know it was called anything other than propeller shaft... and i live in slow canada eh

Which is correct :biggthump , We just shorten it to prop shaft :tongue: , Its only the yanks that have ruined the Queens language :rolleyes: .

I mean what about trousers becoming PANTS :rolleyes: :confused: , And a car bonnet becomes a HOOD :eek2: :confused: what's that all about .

Oh and don't forget boot lid becomes TRUNK :confused: .

But hay America is the biggest most powerful country on the planet, So they must be right lollollol

God help us :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Rob

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Which is correct :biggthump , We just shorten it to prop shaft :tongue: , Its only the yanks that have ruined the Queens language :rolleyes: .

I mean what about trousers becoming PANTS :rolleyes: :confused: , And a car bonnet becomes a HOOD :eek2: :confused: what's that all about .

But hay America is the biggest most powerful country on the planet, So they must be right lollollol

Rob
We didn't want the king and queens rule over us. Why keep their language too? And since when did we have to do things the way everyone else does? Just because we do somethings differently, now we are looked down upon? Put the hater-ade back in the fridge bro.

Yes, I'm being defensive. I love this country.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
how the hell is it a bonnet? its a hood! Bonnets are for old women, hoods are for cars and hoodies (sweaters with a hood)

·
Anti-Search Nazi
1,194 Posts

Rob
Its pretty much because we are really awesome. And really modest too, we are seriously the most modest country in the whole world, maybe the whole entire universe.

·
SR 20 Site newbie
215 Posts
We didn't want the king and queens rule over us. Why keep their language too? And since when did we have to do things the way everyone else does? Just because we do something differently, now we are looked down upon? Put the hater-ade back in the fridge bro.

Yes, I'm being defensive. I love this country.

Their is nothing wrong with loving your country dude ;) :cool: , I love mine :tongue: .

This dumbing down of the English Language is a problem where ever its being spoken to be honest, Are own youngsters probably being the worst offenders:( :rolleyes: .

I was just taking the mickey out of you lot no offence meant :biggthump .

I moderate the GTIROC in the UK and we are trying our best to stamp out text speak and the dodgy spelling that makes us all look like uneducated fools :( .

Back on topic though, I'm loving the idea of a nice bling lightweight carbon propeller shaft :cool: :D .

Drive shafts would also be good (they drive the wheels by the way :rofl: ).

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Queens over there are totally different from our "Queens". I find myself trying to decipher the terms.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was just taking the micky out of you lot no offence meant :biggthump .
:melonscratcher:

I moderate the GTIROC in the UK and we are trying our best to stamp out text speak and the dodgy spelling that makes us all look like uneducated fools :( .
they best get rid of you then and they'll make some massive progress with it :rofl:

its 'taking the mickey'

·
SR 20 Site newbie
215 Posts
:melonscratcher:

they best get rid of you then and they'll make some massive progress with it :rofl:

its 'taking the mickey'

You're probably right as ever fella :eek2: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Well spotted though with the mickey typo :biggthump .

Rob

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
wait wait, did the car originate in the USA? if so dont we get to call it a hood and a trunk?? :rofl: :rofl:

·
i got AWD so let it snow!
168 Posts
^^^ he does have a point.

back on topic though. what is the estimated power to be gained from less spinning weight? is it simply quicker power transfer or does this facilitate a release of some extra horsepower?

·
SR 20 Site newbie
215 Posts
wait wait, did the car originate in the USA?
Well no actually fell is was not you yanks that built the first motor car.

In the beginning there was Nicholas Cugnot (1725-1804) experimenting in 1769 with a steam driven vehicle. Cugnot’s vehicle, travelling at walking pace, was used for towing cannon as well as carrying four people and from there we have seen a slow progression to what we have today. The speed of evolution was controlled by the pace at which technology progressed. Even today we do not appear to have what we should, partly due to technology not being there, but mostly due to the manufacturers not taking the lead prompted by their experimental cars.

It was not until the Belgian born Frenchman Jean-Joseph Etienne Lenoir (1822-1900) patented the internal combustion engine in 1860 that a practical power unit was available for road vehicles. This engine ran on town coal gas which was ignited inside a tube called a cylinder by a spark from a Ruhmkorff induction coil. To try the engine Lenoir mounted it on an old cart, attached wheels to the cart then drove it down a dirt track in a wood. The gas was not compressed as with later engines, but drawn into the cylinder by the piston and ignited half way through the stroke, thereby supplying the impulsion to finish the stroke. A crank returned the piston to its starting position and expelled the burnt gas. Thus we have a two stroke engine. It was not long before a firm called Gautier was making the engine in various sizes at a factory.

The next initiative was provided by the German engineer Nikolaus-August Otto (1832-1891) who patented a four-stroke engine, on which today’s car engines are based. This patent was subsequently proved to be invalid because a Frenchman Alphonse Beau de Rochas had patented a four stroke engine some years before. The Four Stroke engine was so called because it had four movements, one to suck a mixture of air and gas into the cylinder, one to push the piston back up to compress the mixture, one to ignite the mixture and push the piston down and one to push the piston back up to force the burnt gases out of the cylinder through a valve. Otto ran a business making engines with his partner, a lawyer called Eugen Langen (1833-1895), but their interest was making stationary engines at their factory at Deutz in Germany. However, the dynamic technical director at the time was a time-served Swabian apprentice gunsmith called Gottlieb Daimler (1834-1900) who midway through the 1870's became interested in replacing the coal gas with petrol as the fuel. This interest provoked his employers to banish him to their factory in St. Petersburg in Russia and instigated Daimler’s resignation in 1882, taking with him the chief draughtsman Wilhelm Maybach (1846-1929).

At the same time other people were working on vehicles, one being Karl Benz (1844-1929) an engineer born in Mühlberg, in Germany and the son of a locomotive driver. Benz was forced to make two stroke engines for well over ten years because it was thought that Otto and Langen held the four stroke patent. As soon as Benz was allowed to make four stroke engines he set up a new company with two friends, Max Rose and Friedrich Esslinger called Rheinische Gasmotorenfabrik Benz and Co., and turned his attention away from stationary engines to produce a small engine to power a motor car.

Now the car began to develop, with Benz producing a lightweight, purpose built, U shaped steel frame on which the body and the new wire spoked wheels were mounted The first car was made in 1885 and had three wheels, with one at the front with which to steer. When it was first ran is unknown, but its engine was not as advanced as that of Daimler. On the 29th of January, 1886 Benz took out a series of patents to cover the development of his car and started to publicise it; press reports started to appear in 1886 with one about the car on the 4th of June and another about a ride in the car on the 3rd of July, 1886. Meanwhile, his partners were losing patience with his experiments with a self propelled vehicle that was not producing any income to the company. Undaunted Benz exhibited his car at the Paris Exposition of 1887 and promptly sold a licence to assemble the car in France to Emile Roger, a cycle maker.

So as you can see the motor car is probably older than your country, So you can take that as a NO you lot didn't build the first car :rofl: ,As hard as that is to believe :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Rob

1 - 20 of 38 Posts