SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my ebc brake pads and rotors... but guess what. ok i got the green stuff pads. that was good. i open the box and see 4 (not 2) rotor boxes. i'm thinkin "did i get a deal or what?" jumpin jahosephat. they were all slotted/dimpled things. now what the hell am i supposed to do? i can give away one pair. but should i put the others on or send them back? btw i paid 49 for a so called rotor and got 2, and the slotted stuff sells for $99 a piece. need help and fast.

------------------
keep rice on the plates not the streets.
--soon to be modded 92g20

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
im not MaddMatt, but the same thing happened to me w/ my headers. i got 2 manifolds, 1 flex pipe and paid for only 1. i promptly called JWT (i bought from them) back and they set it up so UPS would pick it up. my honesty paid off when a few months later my clutch went bye-bye and i needed a new one. they hooked me up with one of theirs, for a fraction of the cost!! remember- honesty is best for everyone. lies and deception are only good for the foolish. my $.02

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
If I understand correctly, you ordered 2 fronts, and recieved 4 fronts. You thought they were going to be the standard OE style, but they are in fact slotted and dimpled.

Well, at least they weren't horribly expensive. $49 for a rotor really isn't too bad, I've been quoted $75 each before!!! The slotted and dimpled rotors may not stop you any better, but at least they won't crack on you like x-drilled.

I might be inclined to call them and inform them of the mistake. It's not nice to take advantage of someone, even if it was their mistake.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your story. Did you get more rotors than you paid for? If so, I agree with the other posts that you should do the honest thing and return them.

If you are also saying that you don't like the EBC rotors, have returned the extra ones, and now want to sell the ones you paid for.... I don't need new rotors and would get the Brembo's if I were shopping. I am about to replace my pads and for the right price, I could be lazy and replace my rotors instead of resurfacing them.

I'll offer you $35 each (I'll pay shipping) for the EBC rotors you paid for and don't want.

[This message has been edited by jburnham (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i've called them up and told them about their mistake. i'm sending back the extra pair (in which they'll pay me for the shipping) and they're letting me keep the slotted stuff at no extra cost. good deal? i'll be sending them back, and putting mine's on today. been busy with work and all. any tips on the install? my first time.

------------------
keep rice on the plates not the streets.
--soon to be modded 92g20

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great deal! It sounds like you got the dimpled/slotted rotors for a great price. Honesty does pay! It just goes to show that this community is basically full of good, honest folk.

If I were you, I would defineately install them. I've never done it, but it shouldn't be much harder than replacing pads. I think you need be careful to not over-tighten things (but I really don't know).

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Here's how I do it:

With a 14mm wrench, totally remove the lower caliper sliding pin (located on the back side of the caliper). Put it somewhere it won't get dirty. Rotate the caliper up until it clears the rotor/pads. With the top pin still in place, slide the caliper back (towards the engine) until the top pin comes out of the bracket. Hang the caliper on the spring perch, or lay it on the control arm. Just don't let it dangle by the brake line!!

The pads will now basically fall right out. There are 2 17mm bolts that hold the caliper brakcet on. Remove these and the bracket will come right off. The rotors will now just come right off the hub.

You'll need a C-clamp to push the caliper piston back in so that it'll clear the new pads. It's also a good idea to lube the caliper sliding pins with some high temp brake grease (about a buck at the parts store). You don't *have* to flush the brake fluid with new, but since you're there, might as well take care of it. It's cheap and easy.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
201 Posts
To add to Matt's post, the rotors might not just fall off. When I replaced mine, they were tough to get off. If you're going to throw them away, a few whacks with a hammer around the outside edge of the rotor should loosen them up. You can also try a rubber mallet.

For greasing the pins, definitely get some high temp grease. Like 400 degrees F +. I used some marine grease last time. A product called Sil-Glyde also comes highly recommended. You should be able to pick either up at Pep Boys.

If you're replacing the rear pads, the rear pistons turn into the caliper. You'll need a pair of needle nose pliers to get that piston to retract. IIRC, it turns clockwise.

Also, since you're going to be in there, you could sand and paint the calipers.
Just make sure to use some high temperature paint. I used the 1500 degrees F spray paint from Pep Boys on mine. The sanding and prep will make a big difference in how it turns out.

Oh yeah, and if you're going to be in there anyway, you could add some SS lines.......

Ben
'93 NX
Yes, I am evil!

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
You guys are forgetting 1 key thing to do -

Take off the Brake fluid resevoir cap. When you use the C-clamp to move the piston you will build pressure inside the lines and in turn the brake fluid will bubble up and spill out a little in the engine bay. If the cap is on you could cause problems.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE w/ goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts