SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iam in the market for some new cams for the beast.

I have Greddy valve springs and am really leading towards the Brian Crower Stage 2 cams with cam gears.

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan/sr20det.shtml

Now considering the spring rates of my valve springs, I got my info here.
http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=115672&highlight=greddy+valve+spring+rates

How do you think the springs will perform with the stage 2 cams? The only thing I am worried about is the lift on the cams.
Think I will have valve float at high RPM, ie 7800?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
My friend had Greddy springs and frankly they aren't the greatest. He switched out to Tomei springs and hasn't looked back.

I would go ahead and opt for a full S/R/C kit from BC... I know Charles was selling them at some point.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
being the owner of a fully built motor, you must accept this law

or you will never get anywhere...
Mmmhmmm...

Spend X amt initially to get to your goal.

OR

Spend 1/2(X) amt get to your goal sooner, blow up [enter part here] and spend remaining 1/2(X) fixing part plus 1/3(X) on misc. crap.

Sometimes if you go the first route life bites you in the ass.

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
nope..option one is the best....

blowing up often costs more than just doing it right the first time.... factor in lost time, effort, etc.. to some people those things are free, but not to others...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
nope..option one is the best....

blowing up often costs more than just doing it right the first time.... factor in lost time, effort, etc.. to some people those things are free, but not to others...
I said option 1 is the best, just sometimes life bites you in the ass and you run into issues no matter which route you go.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Iam in the market for some new cams for the beast.

I have Greddy valve springs and am really leading towards the Brian Crower Stage 2 cams with cam gears.

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan/sr20det.shtml

Now considering the spring rates of my valve springs, I got my info here.
http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=115672&highlight=greddy+valve+spring+rates

How do you think the springs will perform with the stage 2 cams? The only thing I am worried about is the lift on the cams.
Think I will have valve float at high RPM, ie 7800?
JWT C Series cams FTW. They will outpower and out torque anything on the market.

BC FTL, BC sucks, he is copying all the good grinds on the market and making them in turkey. He steals designs, he is the OBX of cams.

You all know what I feel about companies that do that. I'll tell you not to support BC but I 'll get flamed, probably even on here.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Damn it, I thought he was a fresh new face doing his own stuff! Is he really just another copy?

How many run C series JWT cams with turbo? This was a major no-no back in the day when I started, but I bet a lot more people are doing it.

Brent

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
Its not so much that it was a no-no. Its more that people werent sure how to properly set up the head/timing, etc and prepare for them back then. I see myself switching to C series cams in the future on my beast from the S4s.

I didnt know that about BC...that is pretty shitty. I havent bought nothing of his yet, and dont intend to now :)

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
JWT C Series cams FTW. They will outpower and out torque anything on the market.

BC FTL, BC sucks, he is copying all the good grinds on the market and making them in turkey. He steals designs, he is the OBX of cams.

You all know what I feel about companies that do that. I'll tell you not to support BC but I 'll get flamed, probably even on here.
Whose cams is he copying? I figured at his prices they weren't made in the USA.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Whose cams is he copying? I figured at his prices they weren't made in the USA.
I can't say because legal action may be pending. Its more than one company in more than one market.

I personaly don't like him because in his few posts here he was all cocky, condensending and was dissing Andrieas Miko for no reason. He doesn even know him or what he does. That lack of respect turned me off, especialy coming from a cam cloner who doesnt know engineering and is making a living off of others hard work by undercutting them with copys of their own products.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Damn it, I thought he was a fresh new face doing his own stuff! Is he really just another copy?

How many run C series JWT cams with turbo? This was a major no-no back in the day when I started, but I bet a lot more people are doing it.

Brent
People missquoted me. With turbos, cam specs all depend on if the engines in crossover or not. Then its just a matter of adjusting the overlap.

You need cam to run in a certain rev range and the turbo and cam have to match that. In crossover, at or near NA lobe centers, backpressure bound, lobe centers will probably be better spread.

Most people don't understand what this means and either instal whatever straight up or randomly turn things without dyno tuning or understanding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts