SR20 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
them cam gears are junk i put them on my gtir and lined everyhtign up and it bent to intake valves the timeing was still off for some reason the original way your soposed to set them up is different with that cam gear. its accually very complicated to explan. if you want my advice throw them cam gears away and use the stock ones.

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
them cam gears are junk i put them on my gtir and lined everyhtign up and it bent to intake valves the timeing was still off for some reason the original way your soposed to set them up is different with that cam gear. its accually very complicated to explan. if you want my advice throw them cam gears away and use the stock ones.
I think you're mistaken. If you compare these to the OEM cam gears, the marks are in identical locations. It doesn't matter at this point whether I'm using stock or aftermarket, the results are exactly the same. At 10 and 12 o'clock, stock positions, the crank pulley is sitting on the 20* mark. I explained this above.

Cam gears are cam gears. Some adjustable, some not. They both are made from the same blank. These just happen to have additional settings, whereas stock cam gears don't give you a cheatsheet on where to set them to advance or retard intake or exhaust cams.

Now, with that being said, how many teeth am I off, folks...

·
Registered
979 Posts
1 cam tooth = 10degrees. I'd guess jump the chain to the right 2 teeth (cams where they are...). With that said, BE SURE TO CHECK BY TURNING THE MOTOR!

_SHig

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
1 cam tooth = 10degrees. I'd guess jump the chain to the right 2 teeth (cams where they are...). With that said, BE SURE TO CHECK BY TURNING THE MOTOR!

_SHig
Decided to call in a day of annual leave at work today. I now need a chain tensioner as well, as the clip is broken, and cannot be fastened (Had to do it a ghetto way last night to get the mofo on).

Anyhow, I jumped the chain as you suggested, turned the motor a few times, put it all back together, and started her up, and she barely idled. Sounded exactly like what it ran like when we did the cam install and the crank jumped a tooth. So, I'm going to jump it back the other way ONE tooth on each cam. If it was off 20* with the cams at 10 and 12, that would mean that each cam needed 1 tooth adjustment? :) Going to try it today when I go find me a chain tensioner...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Decided to call in a day of annual leave at work today. I now need a chain tensioner as well, as the clip is broken, and cannot be fastened (Had to do it a ghetto way last night to get the mofo on).

Anyhow, I jumped the chain as you suggested, turned the motor a few times, put it all back together, and started her up, and she barely idled. Sounded exactly like what it ran like when we did the cam install and the crank jumped a tooth. So, I'm going to jump it back the other way ONE tooth on each cam. If it was off 20* with the cams at 10 and 12, that would mean that each cam needed 1 tooth adjustment? :) Going to try it today when I go find me a chain tensioner...
Dammit, I was a bit foggy. Yes, 1 cam tooth is 10 degrees on the cam, but 20 degrees on the crank. It'll fire and run fine once you get it juggled the one last time.

I've done the ghetto tensioner compression myself (involves a long, rigid wire or screwdriver?).

Sorry to lead you astray...

_SHig

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Dammit, I was a bit foggy. Yes, 1 cam tooth is 10 degrees on the cam, but 20 degrees on the crank. It'll fire and run fine once you get it juggled the one last time.

I've done the ghetto tensioner compression myself (involves a long, rigid wire or screwdriver?).

Sorry to lead you astray...

_SHig
No worries :) Have to go buy a timing kit, as the tensioner can't be found separate here. May be a good thing, too, as when I went outside to the garage this morning, I found a HUGE puddle of oil. Doesn't look good right now, I'm afraid. I'm hoping that it was only the gasket for the valve cover not being seated properly, and nothing else. Sure looks like a lot of oil. Probably about a half quart, or a little more.

Didn't see it until I tried to run the car last night after re-adjusting the cam gears. Damn the bad luck, I guess. :(

·
Registered
979 Posts
Can't find the tensioner separately? What? You're only 650 miles from Courtesy Nissan! (Damn Texas is big...)

Keep at it, and good luck,

_SHig

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Update: :( :(

Heard a sound I didn't want to hear, and I'm DEFINITELY fearing the worst, now.

So I went out and bought a timing kit from an import parts supplier, which cost me roughly $150. No biggie, as if I need any other parts related to timing, BAM. I got it.

Well I proceeded to put everything back in it's right place, after figuring that the crank was off a tooth. Corrected it and set crank at TDC, and cams were damn near at 10 and 12 o'clock. Mind you that I went ahead and said **** it, I'm going to put the cams at +2.5 and -2.5 degrees, while I'm correcting the mechanical timing issue.

Everything went back together, and I literally spun the block at least 10 complete rotations, by hand. Everything checked out good, timing marks still lined up, etc. etc.

Decided to button it all up, and try and fire it up. Went to crank, and heard the fear imposing whir, not like crank, but not like starter screech. Panic now pwns me. I immediately go for the jackstand, put the bitch up, and get under there to see if I can crank it, fearing that it's bound and valves are now being bent.

WTF is going on? I can crank the bitch by hand, not too easy, but not that difficult, either. Feels like normal, cranking the block by hand at the crank pulley.

Do I even attempt to turn it over again, if I heard that "whir"?? I'm scared shitless that I ****ed it up even worse. I'm starting to regret ever getting back into the car hobby business. :(

·
Registered
979 Posts
You pulled the front cover and replaced the chain too?

If so, there should be no question that your mech timing was on.

Maybe your battery is too low now? I don't think your engine was turning...

Do you have a compression tester or leak down tester?

_SHig

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
You pulled the front cover and replaced the chain too?

If so, there should be no question that your mech timing was on.

Maybe your battery is too low now? I don't think your engine was turning...

Do you have a compression tester or leak down tester?

_SHig
SHig - No, I didn't pull the front cover. I really don't want to go thru that, becuase I'd have to drop oil pans etc.

The motor is at TDC, with Cylinder 1 at the highest point. Cams are damn near 10 and 12 o'clock, but it acted like it didn't even want to turn over, for whatever reason. Battery is good.

I'm going to take a break from the computer, so if anyone wants to assist, my celly is 9155884485. I'll gladly return calls so it doesn't cost anything to anyone.

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Shig, can you call me again? I have another question.

The dowel pin on the cam isn't going in the holes on the cam gear.

EDIT: For anyone else, Should a bit of force be required to put the cam gear onto the cam? The dowel pin seems a micron too large for the cam gear's cooresponding holes for retard or advancing the timing...

EDIT 2:

Nevermind, virgin cam gears...

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So, did it run?

_SHig
SHig - It Runs! :) Thanks a bunch for helping a noob. It is greatly appreciated. If there were a Karma based point system, I'd give you plenty. :)

Again, thanks for taking time from your schedule to call a helpless noob. :biggthump

·
NX Cruiser
1,031 Posts
Tekkie,
So what was wrong? Link counts, tensioner, what?
How did you get it to run??

Im planning to do something similar this month. If I cant get it to start like yours, then I will need to know what to look for. Was it something overlooked??
Scotty

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Tekkie,
So what was wrong? Link counts, tensioner, what?
How did you get it to run??

Im planning to do something similar this month. If I cant get it to start like yours, then I will need to know what to look for. Was it something overlooked??
Scotty
Quite simply put, I'm just a noob. :rofl: I kept putting the dowel pin of the cam onto the stock position of the cam gears, and just advancing the chain, by putting the colored marks onto the corresponding advance/retard settings.

Such an embarrasing time for me, TBH.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Quite simply put, I'm just a noob. :rofl: I kept putting the dowel pin of the cam onto the stock position of the cam gears, and just advancing the chain, by putting the colored marks onto the corresponding advance/retard settings.

Such an embarrasing time for me, TBH.
Good job ya Noob!

Hey man, , at least you didn't blow something (knock on wood) - there is nothing wrong with making mistakes as long as you have the drive to fix them... Good job not giving up, now you have a wealth of knowledge to teach other people and slap them on the wrist when they are aiming towards the wrong path.

Erich FT-undoubtable-W :teehee:

41 - 60 of 80 Posts